The Student Room Group

Grade A Students - How often do you revise?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Meron

Original post by Meron
a website that makes profit out of things that are available for free. are you sure you found it useful?

I really did!
Original post by JordanS93
I am about to begin my revision for my A2 summer exams and I'm feeling fairly worried :s-smilie:

I was wondering how much time do grade A students put into their revision? So how many hours revision a day do you do? And also what revision techniques do you use? :confused:

Its personal for everyone. Also don't count in terms of hours. Thats a big mistake count in terms of content covered.

I'm obsessed with specifications so. What I do is make notes to cover all of the specifications(even if Ill never read them )tables,arrows,graphs pictures however i want to see it. Then I read through it all once. Then I do gazillions of practice papers and look back to my notes if I come across weak areas. Or memorize the mark scheme.
Reply 42
Did nothing except write up notes all year, then the four weeks before each set of exams didn't go out (monday-sunday) and just re-wrote all my notes over and over again, followed by past papers. Doesn't nessessarily give you the best long term knowledge of the subject but passes the exams.
Original post by Robinjh
Did nothing except write up notes all year, then the four weeks before each set of exams didn't go out (monday-sunday) and just re-wrote all my notes over and over again, followed by past papers. Doesn't nessessarily give you the best long term knowledge of the subject but passes the exams.

I hope you didnt do this for science exams!!!
I'd have an 8 hour day at school/college till 4, then come home, rest till 6pm, then study till 11pm. Studying three subjects in ONE night isn't a good idea, though (personally saying from experience); I'd divide my days into subjects, so: Monday- subject a, Tuesday- subject b, Wednesday-subject C, et cetera untill Sunday, when I'd rest, or do productive reading.

Literally, waste no time, I know it sounds 'geeky', but it's only three months out of your whole life to study for A2 exams, and ultimately, if they go well and you have studied, they'll get you that step further to where you want to go in life. Remember to take 5-10 minute breaks, though, every 30-40 so you don't over-load your brain; take the time maybe to write objectives for the next week, or call a friend, go see your parents: anything just to settle your mind.

And, of course, plenty of rest at night. I hope this doesn't sound too patronising and that you do find this help useful! Good luck :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by Leodora
I really did!

thanks for sharing that I might use it.
Reply 46
i've already started revising and i do about 2 hours a night (that's only revision).. about 4/5 weeks before the exam there's no other work to do obviously so i do about 4/5 hours each night of revision and then most of the weekend! it kills me but its worth it on results day(:
Reply 47
Original post by Destroyviruses
I hope you didnt do this for science exams!!!

Chemistry biology maths physics. AA*A*A*. Seriously, it works.
Original post by Robinjh
Chemistry biology maths physics. AA*A*A*. Seriously, it works.

I know it works!! That's not my point! You're studying natural science at UCL! You have to be passionate about science and know all the stuff you learnt and and you better not be going into research!
English : Just make sure I read all the extra reading given, read the book three times, and do maximum seven essays before the exam

Geography: Memorising and knowing your stuff (if physical geography)
practise essays

Psychology: God knows, just basically memorise essays
I can't believe how much revision people are doing. It figuratively blows my mind. I haven't started revising yet, and i will probably try to do a 4 or 5 hour school day worth of revision in the study leave period we have for the couple of weeks before the exams start. I won't start revising till then either, doing work after school is almost impossible for me, if i have homework to do i have to stay at school till late because once i get home my productivity halves or worse.
Reply 51
I'm "preparing" for summer exams currently which basically means i'm getting my notes together for my resits.

Then come easter holidays, it's past papers, past papers and more past papers!(and every question out of the revision guide and nelson thornes)
the thing I do which I find works well. Is about 3-4 weeks before the exam (maybe more if you know you arent brilliant at said subject) I print off the syllabus and go through everything you need to know. I put a tick next to everything on the syllabus I know and could answer a question on right now. This usually leaves me with about 1/2-1/4 of the syllabus left, then I just use the textbook to cover the gaps in my knowledge.

Once you think you know the whole syllabus, then do past papers to make sure you know what the examiners are looking for.
Reply 53
Original post by Destroyviruses
I know it works!! That's not my point! You're studying natural science at UCL! You have to be passionate about science and know all the stuff you learnt and and you better not be going into research!

You have made some rather large assumptions about quite a few things here.
I started my A2 revision after the February half term, trying to do at least 2-3 hours a night, I have my weekends off (Friday and Saturday) so in total I revise Sunday through till Thursday. I don't have set day's where i do one subject, i just simply alternate, so one day i will do three hours of Sociology, then the next day ill so 3 hours of Philosophy... Took me a while to get into the routine.
one hour of revision a day
techniques
Biology-notes and papers
Chemistry-notes and papers
Maths-papers
Physics-papers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfFSqA7MWOI

:cool:

In all seriousness I am an AS student and I am currently revising around 4-6 hours every evening, + revision in my free periods, and 16-20 hours over the weekend.
Aiming for AAAA this year, depends on the person to be honest. Will be doing the same for A2 but starting earlier in the year
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SuperHuman98
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfFSqA7MWOI

:cool:

In all seriousness I am an AS student and I am currently revising around 4-6 hours every evening, + revision in my free periods, and 16-20 hours over the weekend.
Aiming for AAAA this year, depends on the person to be honest. Will be doing the same for A2 but starting earlier in the year

Thats way too much

Quick Reply

Latest