The Student Room Group

can I get a training contract?

hello!

I am not lawyer, I am engineer. Can I get a training contract without knowing anything about law?

Are the companies flexible with that? Or they require me to have tons of extracurricular activities related to law? I am working full time so I don't have time

any advice please?
Reply 1
Think you need to do a conversion degree in Law and a LPC course to get a training contract.
Reply 2
Companies offer that. Anything else?
Reply 3
Will be very very very very hard for you to obtain a TC in your current position. Presuming you have the stellar qualifications that will get you over the first hurdle/tick box, you will then have to demonstrate your commitment to law.

Considering that you've not done either your GDL or LPC, the firm will have to fund both of these (roughly £20,000) and therefore that's another red mark against your name.
Reply 4
Original post by Jasy
Will be very very very very hard for you to obtain a TC in your current position. Presuming you have the stellar qualifications that will get you over the first hurdle/tick box, you will then have to demonstrate your commitment to law.

Considering that you've not done either your GDL or LPC, the firm will have to fund both of these (roughly £20,000) and therefore that's another red mark against your name.

I'd disagree that not doing the GDL and LPC would be a red mark in itself, plenty of people can't afford to make that step themselves. What OP will need though is to demonstrate their commitment to a career in law over other careers - so any work experience/shadowing etc would be useful to justify their choice.
Reply 5
I do work 60h pw, and study part time. You reach wrong conclusions that's bad for any career
Reply 6
Original post by studos
I do work 60h pw, and study part time. You reach wrong conclusions that's bad for any career

Listen.

You are not going to qualify as a Solicitor. There are many reasons why. I am not going to the effort of listing them again but evaluate the responses from people on each of your threads and you'll see why.
Original post by chikane
Think you need to do a conversion degree in Law and a LPC course to get a training contract.

Switch that around. A lot of firms also pay for the GDL/LPC, so it'd be counterintuitive applying after.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by J-SP
Yes - a lot of people haven't studied law so won't have technical knowledge of it (that's what the GDL and LPC are for really). However you have to have an appreciation for the law and be aware of how legal matters are impacting the commercial world. You don't have to have studied law to gain that though.

A lot of firms will want to see you are someone who keeps themselves busy and takes on responsibility. The fact you say "you haven't got time" is probably a bit of a red flag already - unless you are working 40+ hour weeks, you ultimately do have time.

The major issue with you is your lack of ability to work things out for yourself. A critical skills of a lawyer is being able to plunge into a load of information, analyse and come to conclusions and judgements on it. If you can't do this for basic things like researching the career, you will have little hope of getting past an initial application stage, let alone be successful in the career itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Goes for any top career really be that finance, consulting, law hell even engineering itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
With grammar like that? No.
Original post by studos
hello!

I am not lawyer, I am engineer. Can I get a training contract without knowing anything about law?

Are the companies flexible with that? Or they require me to have tons of extracurricular activities related to law? I am working full time so I don't have time

any advice please?

You will need to demonstrate commitment to the career somehow. It can be done - a partner at my firm was an engineer for over a decade before making the switch.
Reply 11
Original post by TurboCretin
You will need to demonstrate commitment to the career somehow. It can be done - a partner at my firm was an engineer for over a decade before making the switch.

good news man thanks! by the way, do you know which uni he graduated from? do you have his linkedin maybe/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending