The Student Room Group

THE: 200 best universities in Europe 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oilfreak1
I would actually argue the NSS score is more important than either when looking at domestic tables, as they give an indication of where you'd most likely be happiest.

I doubt a student at Imperial, Cambridge, Oxford etc... would hold their university to account to the same level which someone who goes to a much lower ranked uni would.
Original post by Incongruous
I doubt a student at Imperial, Cambridge, Oxford etc... would hold their university to account to the same level which someone who goes to a much lower ranked uni would.

I have absolutely no idea what you're on about, but you quoted my part about the NSS.

Lets throw UCL/ICL/Oxbridge/LSE out of the window these are the best universities in the country, any distinction is between them not between them and another uni.

Now let's say Geology at RHUL vs Leicester in this case the most important value on the tables (imo) is the NSS score and not entry requirements/research ratio.
Reply 62
I have absolutely no idea what you're on about, but you quoted my part about the NSS.

Lets throw UCL/ICL/Oxbridge/LSE out of the window these are the best universities in the country, any distinction is between them not between them and another uni.

Now let's say Geology at RHUL vs Leicester in this case the most important value on the tables (imo) is the NSS score and not entry requirements/research ratio.

So you rather take happiness votes on cringeworthy websites like WhatUni or NSS, that research quality, module content and entry requirements?
Original post by wdkmwd
So you rather take happiness votes on cringeworthy websites like WhatUni or NSS, that research quality, module content and entry requirements?

I would rather not use domestic tables at all because they're nonsense.
NSS over an:
- Obscure "research rating" - Yes, particularly for undergrad.
- entry tariffs? - Yes, these are malleable.
- Module content - don't see that mentioned on league tables.

International league tables are vastly superior for determining the "prestige" of an institution because that's more or less what they're made for, domestic tables are for student experience so I feel the NSS is probably the single most important piece of information available in these tables.

The best universities don't really need any tables to assert their prestige though. It's just a nice pat on the back to see them performing well internationally.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 64
I would rather not use domestic tables at all because they're nonsense.
NSS over an:
- Obscure "research rating" - Yes, particularly for undergrad.
- entry tariffs? - Yes, these are malleable.
- Module content - don't see that mentioned on league tables.

International league tables are vastly superior for determining the "prestige" of an institution because that's more or less what they're made for, domestic tables are for student experience so I feel the NSS is probably the single most important piece of information available in these tables.

The best universities don't really need any tables to assert their prestige though. It's just a nice pat on the back to see them performing well internationally.

Universities like King's and The university of Birmingham have low rankings on the 2015 NSS overall satisfaction list. But only an idiot would apply to the University of Winchester rather than a Russell group Uni because the student survey rates them higher.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by wdkmwd
Universities like King's and The university of Birmingham have low rankings on the 2015 NSS overall satisfaction list. But only an idiot would apply to the University of Winchester rather than a Russell group Uni because the student survey rates them higher.

You sound like one of those bellends that think being a relevant member of a stupid society at university is some how an achievement you would be glad to tell your children about.

I said of domestic tables NSS is the most important take home. You have to be a bellend to take domestic tables seriously period. Or do people genuinely believe Surrey>ICL and Lancaster>KCL.

Please show me where I said NSS is the be all and end all.

I would say that is something to be proud of, I personally am having part of my masters funded by a society I was a member of, typical sixth former.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 66
I said of domestic tables NSS is the most important take home. You have to be a bellend to take domestic tables seriously period. Or do people genuinely believe Surrey>ICL and Lancaster>KCL.

Please show me where I said NSS is the be all and end all, you seem to have a massive chip on your shoulder - Surrey student?

What are you mentally impeded?

There are about 5 domestic league tables you could use as an average. Complete, THE, QS, Guardian and ARWU.

And in only 2 of those lists, namely Guardian and THE, are the two universities mentioned, Surrey and Lancaster, ranked higher than elite RUSSEL GROUP, universities like KCL or ICL.

And no I'm not a surrey student darling. I'm actually a student at King's and I understand the fact that my Uni is ranked horribly on the NSS, but much like most of British students. I couldn't give a rat's åss about that :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by wdkmwd
What are you mentally impeded?

There are about 5 domestic league tables you could use as an average. Complete, THE, QS, Guardian and ARWU.

And in only 2 of those lists, namely Guardian and THE, are the two universities mentioned, Surrey and Lancaster, ranked higher than elite RUSSEL GROUP, universities like KCL or ICL.

And no I'm a surrey student darling. I'm actually a student at King's and I understand the fact that my Uni is ranked horribly on the NSS, but much like most of British students. I couldn't give a rat's åss about that :smile:

You listed 2 domestic tables and 3 international tables lel, the two domestic tables place KCL below Lancaster. I think you lack basic reading comprehension. Clinging to russel group like a security blanket, typical insecure 6thformer at a mediocre university who wasn't good enough for the G5. I was once you (except I actually got into a G5 uni).

Edit: the funny thing is I think you actually agree with me you're just an absolute retard.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 68
You listed 2 domestic tables and 3 international tables lel, the two domestic tables place KCL below Lancaster. I think you lack basic reading comprehension. Clinging to russel group like a security blanket, typical insecure 6thformer at a mediocre university who wasn't good enough for the G5. I was once you.

You can use International rankings to view where your University also ranks domestically, you mentally deficient supercilious scumbag.

And about taking shots at me for not being good enough for the G5. King's College is a member of the Russell Group and Golden triangle Universities and that's good enough for me. I can already tell you're a little child with that, and a guy like myself with all my achievements and qualifications can't waste my time with such people. Go back and watch your cartoons kid.
Reply 69
Original post by wdkmwd
King's College is a member of the Russell Group and Golden triangle Universities and that's good enough for me.

kings is a top place
Original post by wdkmwd
You can use International rankings to view where your University also ranks domestically, you mentally deficient supercilious scumbag.

And about taking shots at me for not being good enough for the G5. King's College is a member of the Russell Group and Golden triangle Universities and that's good enough for me. I can already tell you're a little child with that, and a guy like myself with all my achievements and qualifications can't waste my time with such people. Go back and watch your cartoons kid.

QM is also a part of the russel group guess that's elite aswell.

Golden triangle LOL even if that meant a thing KCL is literally there (argued it shouldn't be) on the back of ICL and UCL the two london unis which have research incomes comparable to Oxbridge. Note how Oxbridge/UCL/LSE/Imperial students don't feel the need to brag about this? That's because they know they're elite, KCL knows its a mediocre uni among giants (just like its buddy QMUL).

No international tables can't be averaged with domestic tables don't be a ******* they use totally different criteria that's like averaging 5 ducks bill sizes but using two falcons, it's still legit for duck bill sizes because both are birds right?
Reply 71
Original post by TeeEm
kings is a top place

Thank you.

How dare that user call it "mediocre"

I bet she's some girl who was vice president of some language society at a thrash Uni and thinks she's made it in life.
Reply 72
Original post by wdkmwd
Thank you.

It is an old traditional University whose reputation as a brand has been built through time
Reply 73
QM is also a part of the russel group guess that's elite aswell.

Golden triangle LOL even if that meant a thing KCL is literally there (argued it shouldn't be) on the back of ICL and UCL the two london unis which have research incomes comparable to Oxbridge. Note how Oxbridge/UCL/LSE/Imperial students don't feel the need to brag about this? That's because they know they're elite, KCL knows its a mediocre uni among giants (just like its buddy QMUL).

No international tables can't be averaged with domestic tables don't be a ******* they use totally different criteria that's like averaging 5 ducks bill sizes but using two falcons, it's still legit for duck bill sizes because both are birds right?

The facts are King's College is a part of both the Russell Group Universities and Golden triangles Universities, whether they deserve to be in it is a different story.

You're obviously butthurt about all this and jealous that your participation at societies at University ends in it's relevance after graduation and haven't amounted to much in life since then.

King's is ranked 19th in the world and 5th Nationally by QS
27th in the world and 7th Nationally by THE and 55th in the world and 7th Nationally by ARWU. And if you think that's "mediocre" you are just plain crazy.

Edit - http://www.topuniversities.com/where-to-study/europe/united-kingdom/top-10-universities-london

As you can see, my University also ranks highly on regional rankings by credible reporters. You're just a dullard.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by wdkmwd
The facts are King's College is a part of both the Russell Group Universities and Golden triangles Universities, whether they deserve to be in it is a different story.

You're obviously butthurt about all this and jealous that your participation at societies at University ends in it's relevance after graduation and haven't amounted to much in life since then.

King's is ranked 19th in the world and 5th Nationally by QS
27th in the world and 7th Nationally by THE and 55th in the world and 7th Nationally by ARWU. And if you think that's "mediocre" you are just plain crazy.

Compared to ICL and UCL, yes incredibly mediocre - more on par with Manchester and Edinburgh than its neighboring universities.

What am I jealous of? Participation in societies has provided me with monetary gain (my £19,000 masters at imperial is being partially covered), showed me to be well rounded and landed me a job right out of uni and I made great friends to boot. Should I have just studied and been another 2.1-1st with no relevant soft skills?

I'm guessing you haven't actually started university yet, the importance of societies for employment is stressed at most universities.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 75
Compared to ICL and UCL, yes incredibly mediocre - more on par with Manchester and Edinburgh than its neighboring universities.

What am I jealous of? Participation in societies has provided me with monetary gain (my £19,000 masters at imperial is being partially covered), showed me to be well rounded and landed me a job right out of uni and I made great friends to boot. Should I have just studied and been another 2.1-1st with no relevant soft skills?

I'm guessing you haven't actually started university yet, the importance of societies for employment is stressed at most universities.

I'm in my first year and just by scrutinising your terrible grammar and pointless incredibly flawed points, I could already tell that you weren't a 2:1-1st class student, no need to point that out. :smile:

It's a well known fact that a student with a 1st class at a University like King's which I'm on course to achieve, without participating in any pointless, time and money consuming societies would still land me any job i want in London. Or better yet I could even do a masters degree at Harvard or Caltech and start my own company, while you're discussing how fun your days in societies with other intellectually exiguous scumbags.

Your irascible nature doesn't deter me, you're not on my level dear.
Reply 76
And No King's College isn't mediocre in comparison with ICL or UCL. I would admit that i did apply to UCL but being at Kings is perfect for me.

You're only saying that because you think it's a relevant point.
Original post by TeeEm
It is an old traditional University whose reputation as a brand has been built through time

How are they for maths? Debating whether to firm or not

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Original post by drandy76

Posted from TSR Mobile

decent place (underated)
One of my former students is studying maths there
@Tiri

also ask
@Slowbro93
Reply 79
Original post by drandy76

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ranked 31st.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=mathematics

What are your other options?

Quick Reply

Latest