The Student Room Group

what came first the egg or the chicken?

try and back you're claim with proof!! Good luck!

Scroll to see replies

I'd say the egg, because eggs evolved long before chickens did
Original post by Leviathan1741
I'd say the egg, because eggs evolved long before chickens did

Yeah I agree,
The egg would have been the first sign of there being a chicken. It would have hatched and this bird would have been different to the other birds. The chicken is also an adult which is imposibble to be first therefore it must be the egg.
Reply 3
evolution
Reply 4
Egg. Chickens are domesticated fowls.
Reply 6
Original post by Alexion
x

that took me WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY too long to get :rofl:

also - eggs
dinosaurs laid eggs :tongue:
Original post by z33
that took me WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY too long to get :rofl:

also - eggs
dinosaurs laid eggs :tongue:

What came first: the dinosaur or the egg?
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymouse44

Still egg as even earlier species of vertebrates such as Sharks lay eggs, most invertebrates lay eggs.
You guys, God made the chicken first. Have none of you read Genesis? Jeesh

Proof against this will only make my faith more virtuous!
(edited 8 years ago)
Though it is totally irrelevant:
Original post by Gwilym101
Still egg as even earlier species of vertebrates such as Sharks lay eggs, most invertebrates lay eggs.

Fair play, but what if I altered the question to what came first: the Dinosaur or the Dinosaur Egg?
Well... you obviously need a chicken to lay the egg.
But it is false that a chicken can only come from an egg.
Pretty easy question...
Reply 14
tl;dr - the egg...

Simple evolutionary logic would suggest that for the present day chicken to exist, it must have been laid in an egg. Whether that egg was laid by the same, one step back in evolving chicken, is irrelavent - the benchmark being the 'present day chicken,' it was the egg from which it was laid that came first.

Presuming of course, that the chicken's ancestors laid eggs...
(edited 8 years ago)
Fair play, but what if I altered the question to what came first: the Dinosaur or the Dinosaur Egg?

Need a definition of a dinosaur (as that's an ENORMOUS group of species of varying relations and many reptiles found in the time period are not actually dinosaurs). Defining a species we have today is difficult let alone one that has been dead tens of millions of years.
Original post by Mimir
tl;dr - the egg...

Simple evolutionary logic would suggest that for the present day chicken to exist, it must have been laid in an egg. Whether that egg was laid by the same, one step back in evolving chicken, is irrelavent - the benchmark being the 'present day chicken,' it was the egg from which it was laid that came first.

Presuming of course, that the chicken's ancestors laid eggs...

What if the question were altered to what came first, the chicken or the chicken egg? Assuming the chicken had evolved from another ancestor/bird and had mutated over generations into what we call a chicken, would said chicken have been born in (1) a chicken egg or (2) an ancestor species egg? in the 1st instance the egg comes first, but in the second the chicken comes first.
Reply 17
Obviously an egg as the chicken hatched out of it???
Reply 18
the egg because to produce an egg you need two chickens and there is either 1 chicken or 1 egg!
The chicken because I'm too awesome to be preceded by an egg. :u:

Quick Reply

Latest