The Student Room Group

THE: 200 best universities in Europe 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wdkmwd
Oh don't firm King's.

Apparently it's a crappy Uni.

She's just being arrogant because she goes to Imperial. And it wasn't even based on merit.

What a shame.

1- you're the one being arrogant despite attending a mediocre uni, I'll let it slide though you're first year.

2- my extracurricular activities bolstered my application in addition to grades they didn't make up for them. You can have a high 2.1/first and still be active in societies you know? The two aren't mutually exclusive.

if kings was the best you could do that's great but it's not on par with other London unis.
Reply 101
Original post by Oilfreak1
1- you're the one being arrogant despite attending a mediocre uni, I'll let it slide though you're first year.

2- my extracurricular activities bolstered my application in addition to grades they didn't make up for them. You can have a high 2.1/first and still be active in societies you know? The two aren't mutually exclusive.

if kings was the best you could do that's great but it's not on par with other London unis.

How is King's mediocre?

Just because you're in Imperial based on societal activities doesn't mean you are some kind of Queen than can sh*t on everyone. Yes I accept that Imperial is a better University than Kings but that doesn't make it mediocre. I still believe i will achieve greater things in Life than you.

If you could get into Imperial for your postgraduate without even a 2:1, so can i.

What University did you do your undergraduate in and what course did you study?
Original post by wdkmwd
How is King's mediocre?

Just because you're in Imperial based on societal activities doesn't mean you are some kind of Queen than can sh*t on everyone. Yes I accept that Imperial is a better University than Kings but that doesn't make it mediocre. I still believe i will achieve greater things in Life than you.

If you could get into Imperial for your postgraduate without even a 2:1, so can i.

What University did you do your undergraduate in and what course did you study?

I got 67% how is that not a 2.1? Are you trolling or genuinely so stupid that you can't appreciate sarcasm??

Oh wait of course you're stupid if u weren't you wouldn't argue with someone you're agreeing with.
M8 where's delft?
Reply 104
Original post by Oilfreak1
I got 67% how is that not a 2.1? Are you trolling or genuinely so stupid that you can't appreciate sarcasm??

Oh wait of course you're stupid if u weren't you wouldn't argue with someone you're agreeing with.

**** this, I'm off this.
Love how this thread has transcended into a phallus measuring contest. Standard TSR.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Death Grips
I then went on to clraify that only factors you should look at in the national rankings are entry standards and research score. Everything else is bullsh*t.

They're the 2 things you shouldn't look at. Who cares about research? You're not going to be the one researching. And entry standards are stupid unless you're looking at entry standards by course. What if one top Uni also has a large Nursing school? Or a brilliant art department where ucas scores don't really matter? Or they also run a foundation year for an engineering course where people with lower grades can get in? That doesn't make the entire uni worse.

You should only judge on facilities, teaching, national reputation and % employment in relevant sectors imo.

Original post by PQ
Don't rely on the opinion of strangers on the internet to decide what to do with the next three years of your life.

This is so hypocritical lol
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
Love how this thread has transcended into a phallus measuring contest. Standard TSR.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If willy waving was in the olympics we'd have 90% of the entrants and still wouldn't medal.
Original post by pq
if willy waving was in the olympics we'd have 90% of the entrants and still wouldn't medal.

prsom

looool
Reply 109
Original post by RonnieRJ
I've just done my research that's all, I think applications should start tomorrow or in a few days :smile:
Haha you can always get some salad sorted :wink:

Fair enough :smile:
I think ill pass thanks :wink:
Original post by Lawliettt
And end up at York, uea, Newcastle or Sussex ahead of Manchester? Lol god no.

Manchester is only marginally better than those universities... particularly Newcastle. Some one from Manchester will have practically the same prospects as some one in Newcastle
Original post by Tom5pence
Manchester is only marginally better than those universities... particularly Newcastle. Some one from Manchester will have practically the same prospects as some one in Newcastle

That's like saying "because Maths and Cambridge and maths at queen marys will give you practically the same job prospects, Cambridge is only marginally better. "

Most unis in the give the same prospects when looking at a specific course. Who cares whether you did English at Bath or Nottingham for example.

Manchester uni as a whole is better than the Unis i listed but national rankings don't show it because they take the most ridiculous things into account. These are the same rankings that claim Lancaster and exeter are better than UCL. Exeter is probably the most unimpressive uni I've visited taking into account it's hype and ranking yet it's sitting at 10th on the complete uni guide.

Plus, Manchester being marginally better or not, it still shows how retarded the national rankings can be. International ones tend to be better imo. That being said, not all national ones are dodgy. The complete university guide is the worst though.

My advice to anyone be if you're going to use rankings instead of visiting unis then at least look at several rankings. Not just 1
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lawliettt
That's like saying "because Maths and Cambridge and maths at queen marys will give you practically the same job prospects, Cambridge is only marginally better. "

Most unis in the give the same prospects when looking at a specific course. Who cares whether you did English at Bath or Nottingham for example.

Manchester uni as a whole is better than the Unis i listed but national rankings don't show it because they take the most ridiculous things into account. These are the same rankings that claim Lancaster and exeter are better than UCL. Exeter is probably the most unimpressive uni I've visited taking into account it's hype and ranking yet it's sitting at 10th on the complete uni guide.

Plus, Manchester being marginally better or not, it still shows how retarded the national rankings can be. International ones tend to be better imo. That being said, not all national ones are dodgy. The complete university guide is the worst though.

My advice to anyone be if you're going to use rankings instead of visiting unis then at least look at several rankings. Not just 1

I agree that national rankings take certain factors (especially student satisfaction) way too seriously and itnleads to inacurracies (KCL AND MANCHESTER BEHIND KENT?!?!?). But when looking at rankings I tend to look at employability and career prospects rather than research power etc. And in that sense manchester and newcaste are similar, yet I guess the internationap rep of manchester is a fair amount higher. Both excellent uni's none the less, and both in the top 25 in most national and international rankings in regard to employability :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Vikingninja
M8 where's delft?

#21 apparently.
Original post by Tom5pence
I agree that national rankings take certain factors (especially student satisfaction) way too seriously and itnleads to inacurracies (KCL AND MANCHESTER BEHIND KENT?!?!?). But when looking at rankings I tend to look at employability and career prospects rather than research power etc. And in that sense manchester and newcaste are similar, yet I guess the internationap rep of manchester is a fair amount higher. Both excellent uni's none the less, and both in the top 25 in most national and international rankings in regard to employability :smile:

I'm just curious, as someone who doesn't know much about this topic that has to decide between five university offers.

How would you rank, 1-5, these universities in term of their career prospects or international rep?

University of Leeds
University of Bristol
University of Birmingham
University of Sheffield
University of Liverpool
Original post by LewisCapper
I'm just curious, as someone who doesn't know much about this topic that has to decide between five university offers.

How would you rank, 1-5, these universities in term of their career prospects or international rep?

University of Leeds
University of Bristol
University of Birmingham
University of Sheffield
University of Liverpool

1. Bristol
2.Birmingham
3.Leeds
4.Sheffield
5.Liverpool
How come so many people say LSE is better than UCL/ICL for everything it does and UCL/ICL is the better at the rest, and yet LSE is below both of them on here? its not my trying to start an argument, its something that I heard and I'm genuinely wondering why before i make ucas decisions?
Original post by skyaviator23
How come so many people say LSE is better than UCL/ICL for everything it does and UCL/ICL is the better at the rest, and yet LSE is below both of them on here? its not my trying to start an argument, its something that I heard and I'm genuinely wondering why before i make ucas decisions?

I don't hear many people saying LSE is better than Imperial, lol...they're viewed around the same.
Original post by yl95
I don't hear many people saying LSE is better than Imperial, lol...they're viewed around the same.

Yeah thats because they're very different unis, LSE is mainly social science and humanities based, whilst Imperial is very scientific; the only crossover i believe is in geography(?). I'm not going to even pretend i know much about Imperial as i haven't even applied there ahah. So surely the two unis aren't comparable? But UCL being above LSE is something I dont understand?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending