The Student Room Group

Can you make massive money in investment banking?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gr8wizard10
:eek: how did you know.. illuminati confirmed

Spoiler

Fair enough.

He has no chance. Sorry.
Reply 201
Original post by King Scorchy
See, that's what stops people from achieving massive things.

You could say the same about guitar. 80% fail within the first 18 months. The rest pick that flippin' guitar back up and become masters. What percentage of people that learn to play guitar actually follow it through and end up as virtuosos? Not many, because the longer they go, the more likely they are to give up (due to a whole multitude of reasons).

You can apply the same reasoning to making billions. The longer you go, the more you know how to do it, but the longer the period of time (or the harder the effort), the less the amount of people that go all the way.

People are generally weak and lazy - seriously.

If you want billions, you can have it.

As for my billions, I'm 25 now. I started on this when I was 24 - so I have only just started out.

So it's as if you're asking me why I'm not a virtuoso at guitar yet when I only started last year. And saying that, it doesn't mean that everyone masters something in the same time. Most people would only devote, say, one hour a day (or a few hours) learning to play guitar. And they would have many days where they didn't even play! So what would happen if one person decided to practice guitar, 14 hours a day, 7 days a week?

That person would become a master fast. And you can apply similar reasoning to making billions.

You can't apply that reasoning to both guitar and making billions. There's absolutely no risk in learning how to play the guitar, and 20% of people know how to play the guitar. Thats a lot more than the 0.00006% of people who are billionaires. The reason why so many more people know how to play the guitar than are billionaires is because learning the guitar is EASIER than making billions. Thanks for proving my point. So please stop making ridiculous points with no evidence.
Reply 202
It's true that you can't do an infinite amount of things, but there are infinite options in life. We need sleep but we still have a hell of a lot of time.

Okay, when you say that not everyone has the capability to learn that, perhaps that's true - but I would say that most do. And the very smart ones have an even greater capacity - so much so that, for them, rocket science is easy to learn.

You say that there are less than 2,000 billionaires in the world out of 7,000,000 - you could say the same about people that are on the leading edges of their fields in science. If someone simply devotes their life to something, they'll (virtually always) get it.

If you need strong connections, make them. If you need influential backers, find them. If you need to not fail at funding rounds, learn how not to. If you need a good idea that is sustainable, find one.

And so on and so forth. If you just go much further than everyone else, devote much more time than everyone else, learn much more than everyone else and simply do everything much better and with much more effort, you'll succeed.

It's simply that most people are weak/lazy. Just do everything better than everyone else.

Say there's a smart person who makes a lot of money and works 10 hours a day, researching how to better invest his money. You could simply look at him and say "I'm going to work 14 hours a day, and not only that, I'm going to learn how to use those 14 hours even better than he ever would, researching deeper, further, better" and the like.

If someone has strong connections, you can look at them and say "Well sir, I'm just going to go out there and find even better connections, and more of them, and build stronger links with them"

And so on. I'm just saying simple things but it shows how you can always succeed.

Like in school, if someone is always coming top of the class you could simply say "I'm going to do it even better" and you'll come out on top. If you couldn't do it at first (which you probably could), you could simply learn to be even smarter than that person.

And it's the same with many things in life, making billions included.

Nope. It's simply that most people are ignorant and share the same 'I can't do it, it's luck' view. It's not!

Maybe people aren't ignorant and just don't value money as highly as you do, or decide to devote their life to something they are passionate about, or...

it's not as easy as you say it is.
did i mention i also have a secret space shuttle to take me to jupiter

Damn bruh DAMN
Original post by Earl Campbell
Regarding the guitar analogy, it gets to a point where investing more time into learning starts to lead to diminishing returns. You talk about human nature but people are biologically different. If you train really hard to run fast you'll run extremely fast by yours or even most people's standards but probably never reach Usain bolt levels. For me as an athlete, I work very hard on my aerobic endurance (and it's very good by average standards) but my capacity for speed and explosive power will always be greater than my capacity for aerobic endurance. Getting back to the billionaire point, no doubt it's possible (most things are) but there are crucial several factors that are complete outside of your control as an individual, to assume otherwise is misguided at best and arrogance at worst.

You can simply learn how to keep your learning capacity the same all day, so there are no diminishing returns - you can out-think these things (as you can with making billions). You can literally learn how to learn for 14 hours a day without diminishing returns.

Sprinting is the best anaerobic exercise! Also, athletics are a separate thing altogether - it's just that the more complicated things become, the less people know it - you could go and become a brain surgeon if you wanted to. If you devote all of your time to it, you'll get it. And you can learn to really make the most of your time and simply surpass everyone else (by miles). It's the same with making billions.

It's very possible, and as for several crucial factors, there aren't many stopping you from earning billions of pounds. It's easy - you just have to master your time and simply aim much higher than everyone else, and you can have so many fantastic things (material or immaterial). It's just that the rare few fully know this.

this is too cute

Thanks, that's my ho'.

Original post by djibbo
You can't apply that reasoning to both guitar and making billions. There's absolutely no risk in learning how to play the guitar, and 20% of people know how to play the guitar. Thats a lot more than the 0.00006% of people who are billionaires. The reason why so many more people know how to play the guitar than are billionaires is because learning the guitar is EASIER than making billions. Thanks for proving my point. So please stop making ridiculous points with no evidence.

Learning the guitar is not easier than making billions of pounds, it just takes a different perception. There's not much risk as you'd be devoting your life to it. If you devoted the next 40 years to making money, you'd quickly learn to out-think risk and how to rise well above the rest. You just have to devote lots of your time to learning, and doing it in an elite way.

Original post by djibbo
Maybe people aren't ignorant and just don't value money as highly as you do, or decide to devote their life to something they are passionate about, or...

it's not as easy as you say it is.

It is.

If people knew what they could do with vast amounts of wealth (make the world a much better, more beautiful and peaceful place) they would do it, if they really cared about the world and its people. You can change the world in massive ways with billions of pounds. How can you be more passionate about anything else?
Original post by leavingthecity
Hahahaa what?

Do you even know what rocket science is?!

You know, average IQ is a real thing....not everyone can do everything.

Sorry, I am very musical, most people cannot become excellent. Practice will make you technically very good, but you will find your ceiling. Those with a certain natural aptitude become excellent. Can you even play the guitar?!

Hi leaving the city, I am a great believer in human opportunity and potential. Ten years ago i was in a mental hospital, in the court of protection (deemed not to have capacity over my money), no girlfriend no house, no future. Look how far i have come now, And yes i can play the guitar, and even tinkle a tune out on the piano every now and again.

I think this whole (I want to be a billionaire thing) is overrated. Just compare us to the people who live in the slums in south africa or kenya. They would chop off their right hand to even be homeless in a country as rich as Britain, i dare say?!??!!
Jesus, this is a perfect example of what one troll can do to a TSR thread.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 207
You can simply learn how to keep your learning capacity the same all day, so there are no diminishing returns - you can out-think these things (as you can with making billions). You can literally learn how to learn for 14 hours a day without diminishing returns.

Sprinting is the best anaerobic exercise! Also, athletics are a separate thing altogether - it's just that the more complicated things become, the less people know it - you could go and become a brain surgeon if you wanted to. If you devote all of your time to it, you'll get it. And you can learn to really make the most of your time and simply surpass everyone else (by miles). It's the same with making billions.

It's very possible, and as for several crucial factors, there aren't many stopping you from earning billions of pounds. It's easy - you just have to master your time and simply aim much higher than everyone else, and you can have so many fantastic things (material or immaterial). It's just that the rare few fully know this.

Thanks, that's my ho'.

Learning the guitar is not easier than making billions of pounds, it just takes a different perception. There's not much risk as you'd be devoting your life to it. If you devoted the next 40 years to making money, you'd quickly learn to out-think risk and how to rise well above the rest. You just have to devote lots of your time to learning, and doing it in an elite way.

It is.

If people knew what they could do with vast amounts of wealth (make the world a much better, more beautiful and peaceful place) they would do it, if they really cared about the world and its people. You can change the world in massive ways with billions of pounds. How can you be more passionate about anything else?

Well since people are a lot passionate about other things, that proves not everybody is passionate about being rich. Also if everyone had billions it would essentially cancel out and nobody would be rich. Your argument is flawed, you can't outthink risk, risk is the fact theres a chance, so whatever you do theres always a chance of failure, you can't avoid that.
Original post by djibbo
Well since people are a lot passionate about other things, that proves not everybody is passionate about being rich. Also if everyone had billions it would essentially cancel out and nobody would be rich. Your argument is flawed, you can't outthink risk, risk is the fact theres a chance, so whatever you do theres always a chance of failure, you can't avoid that.

Nope, risk is something that can be out-thought. You simply have to try much harder than everyone else. It's flippin' easy!
Reply 209
Nope, risk is something that can be out-thought. You simply have to try much harder than everyone else. It's flippin' easy!

Hahaha you're chatting absolute ****. You can't outthink risk. Risk is inevitable in the majority of situations (if not all). Trying harder may reduce risk in some scenarios but that's not easy HENCE you said 'much harder'. You just contradicted yourself so unlucky.
Original post by djibbo
Hahaha you're chatting absolute ****. You can't outthink risk. Risk is inevitable in the majority of situations (if not all). Trying harder may reduce risk in some scenarios but that's not easy HENCE you said 'much harder'. You just contradicted yourself so unlucky.

You can out-think risk. Risk is only inevitable in the majority of situations for complete amateurs - massively reducing risk is what investors do naturally - do you really think things will be as risky after 10 solid years of investing and learning how to do so? No way - you'd have a lot of experience and money. And more money will be even easier to make.

Yes, if you try much harder you'll be an elite risk-remover and an elite investor (and have the money to prove it).
Reply 211
You can out-think risk. Risk is only inevitable in the majority of situations for complete amateurs - massively reducing risk is what investors do naturally - do you really think things will be as risky after 10 solid years of investing and learning how to do so? No way - you'd have a lot of experience and money. And more money will be even easier to make.

Yes, if you try much harder you'll be an elite risk-remover and an elite investor (and have the money to prove it).

No you can't. Reducing risk is not outthinking risk - its still there. So if you try hard too will be a risk-remover? So now you admit its hard which is what the argument was about - again you contradict yourself. Please stop wasting my time when you keep contradicting yourself.
Original post by djibbo
No you can't. Reducing risk is not outthinking risk - its still there. So if you try hard too will be a risk-remover? So now you admit its hard which is what the argument was about - again you contradict yourself. Please stop wasting my time when you keep contradicting yourself.

I mean that as you become a much more experienced investor, you won't just learn to reduce risk, you'll often (if not always) completely eliminate risk. Everything happens for a reason, so risk isn't something you can't predict - you can make fantastic predictions about everything - everything is perfectible.
Reply 213
I mean that as you become a much more experienced investor, you won't just learn to reduce risk, you'll often (if not always) completely eliminate risk. Everything happens for a reason, so risk isn't something you can't predict - you can make fantastic predictions about everything - everything is perfectible.

Hahaha no it isn't, God you must be high on something. Bye.

this is wrong. no investments come with *no* risk.

Your best investment with zero risk, is in yourself, your own human capital. And education. But even then there is a risk (that you will drop out?)

Better to get a credit card imho ( ;-) )
Original post by john2054
Hi leaving the city, I am a great believer in human opportunity and potential. Ten years ago i was in a mental hospital, in the court of protection (deemed not to have capacity over my money), no girlfriend no house, no future. Look how far i have come now, And yes i can play the guitar, and even tinkle a tune out on the piano every now and again.

I think this whole (I want to be a billionaire thing) is overrated. Just compare us to the people who live in the slums in south africa or kenya. They would chop off their right hand to even be homeless in a country as rich as Britain, i dare say?!??!!

I'm back! Apologies for the delay in my response.

That is something to be very proud of. You have worked incredibly hard to get to where you are (though I don't really know anything about you!) and I wish you much future success. Life is hard, some of us are lucky to escape with our lives/wits never mind becoming billionaires despite the humongous effort we put in.

I had to get rid of my beautiful piano! I'm going to work hard and buy me a fancy baby grand one day maybe.....

B*ll b*gs.

You cannot eliminate risk.

You actually need it to make money, you need someone on the other side of the trade!

You are not serious?

You need to read a few City biographies I think....
Original post by leavingthecity
I'm back! Apologies for the delay in my response.

That is something to be very proud of. You have worked incredibly hard to get to where you are (though I don't really know anything about you!) and I wish you much future success. Life is hard, some of us are lucky to escape with our lives/wits never mind becoming billionaires despite the humongous effort we put in.

I had to get rid of my beautiful piano! I'm going to work hard and buy me a fancy baby grand one day maybe.....

thanks m8

i never really could play the piano. i passed my first couple of grades and music theory, but that's like key stage one and two. i am however comfortable at playing songs with chords, on the guitar. Have you ever heard of russ shipton's complete guitar player songbook? It is basically the bible for folk rhythm guitar. And i also plan on learning how to learn to play melodies on the piano from it as well, some day?
Original post by john2054
thanks m8

i never really could play the piano. i passed my first couple of grades and music theory, but that's like key stage one and two. i am however comfortable at playing songs with chords, on the guitar. Have you ever heard of russ shipton's complete guitar player songbook? It is basically the bible for folk rhythm guitar. And i also plan on learning how to learn to play melodies on the piano from it as well, some day?

I've never had any lessons or used any books, it just feels like it clashes with how I learn by ear. I learnt a bit of acoustic guitar but my main instrument is bass. I'm a big Chili Peppers fan and when I first heard Flea I was like... I want to do that! Do you own a piano?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending