The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineering at Brunel Uni

Hey everyone. I have an offer to do Mechanical engineering at Brunel but not quite sure about the uni. I've read lots of reviews about it but still quite unsure about the uni. Lots of people have said the social factor is brilliant but the lecturers are awful. Some people have said the quality of teaching is so bad they have considered moving to another uni. I am willing to work very hard, but if the teaching standard and level of feedback is bad then is it worth going. Also people have said that many of the teacher can't speak very good English which doesn't help at all. Is there anyone at Brunel doing Mechanical engineering like to help me?!! I have offers from Queens Mary and Loughborough. Thanks!!!
I am studying mechanical at brunel year 1. I have decided to move to birmingham or nottingham next year and start again. Brunel is ok but Loughborough is way better.

The campus is small, Lecture theater isnt very good (chairs hurt your bum). The lecture centre is a very old building which is not designed at all. Only 2 of my lecturers are good rest are very bad making it impossible to learn anything during the lecture. We dont get to do much practical as the labs and workshops are small and are mostly used by design students.

Good points are that the accommodation is cheap and the campus is small so you can get everywhere easily, also its only 50 mins from central which is fun to explore
Reply 2
What is ur offer? I have applied too and hav got a offer , i have two othr unis to chose from(leicester,swansea) but wanna stay in london dnt knw if brunel is worth or not

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ND7
Hey everyone. I have an offer to do Mechanical engineering at Brunel but not quite sure about the uni. I've read lots of reviews about it but still quite unsure about the uni. Lots of people have said the social factor is brilliant but the lecturers are awful. Some people have said the quality of teaching is so bad they have considered moving to another uni. I am willing to work very hard, but if the teaching standard and level of feedback is bad then is it worth going. Also people have said that many of the teacher can't speak very good English which doesn't help at all. Is there anyone at Brunel doing Mechanical engineering like to help me?!! I have offers from Queens Mary and Loughborough. Thanks!!!

I'd choose Loughbrough - Brunel is not great and Loughborough offer a year in industry.
Original post by khayam19
What is ur offer? I have applied too and hav got a offer , i have two othr unis to chose from(leicester,swansea) but wanna stay in london dnt knw if brunel is worth or not

Posted from TSR Mobile

In london apart from imperial brunel is the best, but i don't think its worth it
Reply 5
Original post by ironaldhino
I am studying mechanical at brunel year 1. I have decided to move to birmingham or nottingham next year and start again. Brunel is ok but Loughborough is way better.

The campus is small, Lecture theater isnt very good (chairs hurt your bum). The lecture centre is a very old building which is not designed at all. Only 2 of my lecturers are good rest are very bad making it impossible to learn anything during the lecture. We dont get to do much practical as the labs and workshops are small and are mostly used by design students.

Good points are that the accommodation is cheap and the campus is small so you can get everywhere easily, also its only 50 mins from central which is fun to explore

How is everyone finding it? Is it you or does everyone feel the same way? I'm really not sure and feel like I've chosen the wrong uni which isn't great if I don't get in to loughbrough. WHat sort of percentage do people get a first at the end of the course?
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
I'd choose Loughbrough - Brunel is not great and Loughborough offer a year in industry.

Why do you think brunel is not very good. Loughborough is my first choice but I cant have Queens as an insurance as they have offered similar grades.
Original post by ND7
How is everyone finding it? Is it you or does everyone feel the same way? I'm really not sure and feel like I've chosen the wrong uni which isn't great if I don't get in to loughbrough. WHat sort of percentage do people get a first at the end of the course?

I have exams in a month, the pass is 40% to get on to second. Our solidbody module was horrible in the first term the lecturer for statics was replaced, and dynamics teacher was useless untill he decided to redo things in the second term.

Brunel is not bad at all, But aim to get into a better uni. Loughbrough do foundation year apply for that?
Original post by ND7
Why do you think brunel is not very good. Loughborough is my first choice but I cant have Queens as an insurance as they have offered similar grades.

The campus is poor and students report that lectures are not very well delivered.
The campus is poor and students report that lectures are not very well delivered.

Campus is small and everything is within the crawling distance, the library is 24/7, classes in arts centre are awsome. Lecture theaters make your bum hurt due to the chairs.

You get the ability to understand strong foreign accents due to the lecturers.

where did you find about students reporting about poor lecturres?
Reply 11
Original post by ironaldhino
I have exams in a month, the pass is 40% to get on to second. Our solidbody module was horrible in the first term the lecturer for statics was replaced, and dynamics teacher was useless untill he decided to redo things in the second term.

Brunel is not bad at all, But aim to get into a better uni. Loughbrough do foundation year apply for that?

So do you think i should put queens as my insurance? Becuase looking at the league tables for mech engineering Brunel is doing better than queens. I am going to visit brunel on the 21st just to get a better idea of the uni
Original post by ND7
So do you think i should put queens as my insurance? Becuase looking at the league tables for mech engineering Brunel is doing better than queens. I am going to visit brunel on the 21st just to get a better idea of the uni

Brunel is better than QM and is a lot cheaper so yes Brunel

Quick Reply

Latest