The Student Room Group

How to understand chemical reactions as you learn them

I'm so sick of memorising all this ****ing jibberish is there any way I can actually understand it?

For example

Reactions of carbonyls in a2
Reply 1
The OCP Core Carbonyl Chemistry is good.
Original post by alow
The OCP Core Carbonyl Chemistry is good.

HI, I'm having trouble with constructing equations. Would you be able to explain why the symbol equation for Sodium reacting with Oxygen is = Na+02 -> Na20 ?

Does this have to do with the crossover rule?
Original post by Samistrawberry
HI, I'm having trouble with constructing equations. Would you be able to explain why the symbol equation for Sodium reacting with Oxygen is = Na+02 -> Na20 ?

Does this have to do with the crossover rule?

Na forms the ion: Na+
O forms the ion: O2-

Due to the crossover rule, you need 2 sodium ions to balance out the charges so that the overall charge of the compound is 0.

I believe the equation would be:
4Na + O2 --> 2Na2O ?

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by surina16
Na forms the ion: Na+
O forms the ion: O2-

Due to the crossover rule, you need 2 sodium ions to balance out the charges so that the overall charge of the compound is 0.

I believe the equation would be:
4Na + O2 --> 2Na2O ?

Spoiler

Ah, so that is why we use the crossover rule. I've forgotten the basics :eek:
Ah, so that is why we use the crossover rule. I've forgotten the basics :eek:

It's gcse C1 :biggrin:
It's gcse C1 :biggrin:

I remember being taught the crossover rule but it was never explained. Thank you!
I remember being taught the crossover rule but it was never explained. Thank you!

No worries! :h:

Spoiler

Spoiler

So I guess you only use the cross method when constructing an equation when ions react.
Original post by Mvpmb
I'm so sick of memorising all this ****ing jibberish is there any way I can actually understand it?

For example

Reactions of carbonyls in a2

Group all similar reactions together and understand what's happening in each equation individually and you'll start to notice the pattern. If you can't understand, use your chem teacher, a good textbook, youtube or all three. If you still can't understand, maybe Chemistry's not for you.

Spoiler

You're right to make sure that they has a full outer shell, but they're ions in Na2O! An oxygen atom has 6 electrons in its outer shell, so the anion is O2- and has 8 (i.e. a full shell). A sodium atom has 1 electron in its outer shell, so its ion is Na+

You need to make sure the charges cancel out so your overall compound is neutral which is why its Na2O
Original post by KombatWombat
You're right to make sure that they has a full outer shell, but they're ions in Na2O! An oxygen atom has 6 electrons in its outer shell, so the anion is O2- and has 8 (i.e. a full shell). A sodium atom has 1 electron in its outer shell, so its ion is Na+

You need to make sure the charges cancel out so your overall compound is neutral which is why its Na2O

If I was to write the formulae for lead phosphate how would I know whether it should be Pb2+ or Pb4+?
If I was to write the formulae for lead phosphate how would I know whether it should be Pb2+ or Pb4+?

It gets complicated that far down the periodic table! The full electron shell rule doesn't work so well. It's Pb2+ but I'd have thought you'd be told that.
Original post by KombatWombat
It gets complicated that far down the periodic table! The full electron shell rule doesn't work so well. It's Pb2+ but I'd have thought you'd be told that.

Ah so it's to do with sub shells. Any reason as to why there is two different versions?

Quick Reply

Latest