The Student Room Group

Basic maths help needed

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonyi
LOL dude I'm in the same boat as you, that looks right tbh

lets hope so, i mean i cant see anything wrong with it logically speaking and there doesn't seem to be any silly errors :dontknow:
Original post by DylanJ42
lets hope so, i mean i cant see anything wrong with it logically speaking and there doesn't seem to be any silly errors :dontknow:

Just finished mine off and got the same answer, using a completely different method. Looks good.
Reply 22

GG we have similar answers. I'll tell you what my teacher gets.
Reply 23

But where did you get the 0.01 from?
Original post by morgan8002
Just finished mine off and got the same answer, using a completely different method. Looks good.

Original post by Anonyi
GG we have similar answers. I'll tell you what my teacher gets.

ah sweet, theres no way all three of us are wrong :biggrin: gg boys, wp :cool:
Original post by Anonyi
But where did you get the 0.01 from?

which page and line?
Reply 26
which page and line?

Top second page.
Original post by Anonyi
Top second page.

so from the bottom of the first page i had the first term of time as;

x3(0.3x)2+1 \displaystyle \frac{x}{3} \sqrt{\left(\frac{0.3}{x}\right)^2+1}

so taking the x/3 inside the square root

(x3)2((0.3x)2+1) \displaystyle \sqrt{\left(\frac{x}{3}\right)^2 \left(\left(\frac{0.3}{x}\right)^2+1\right)}

=(x29)(0.09x2+1)= \displaystyle \sqrt{\left(\frac{x^2}{9}\right) \left(\frac{0.09}{x^2} +1\right)}

multiply brackets together using regular method;

=0.01+x29= \displaystyle \sqrt{0.01 + \frac{x^2}{9}}
Reply 28
so from the bottom of the first page i had the first term of time as;

x3(0.3x)2+1 \displaystyle \frac{x}{3} \sqrt{\left(\frac{0.3}{x}\right)^2+1}

so taking the x/3 inside the square root

(x3)2((0.3x)2+1) \displaystyle \sqrt{\left(\frac{x}{3}\right)^2 \left(\left(\frac{0.3}{x}\right)^2+1\right)}

=(x29)(0.09x2+1)= \displaystyle \sqrt{\left(\frac{x^2}{9}\right) \left(\frac{0.09}{x^2} +1\right)}

multiply brackets together using regular method;

=0.01+x29= \displaystyle \sqrt{0.01 + \frac{x^2}{9}}

Dude you're literally a god. What are you studying?
Original post by Anonyi
Dude you're literally a god. What are you studying?

im very far from it, but thanks :blush: maths, further maths and physics at A2, wbu? :biggrin:
Reply 30
im very far from it, but thanks :blush: maths, further maths and physics at A2, wbu? :biggrin:

I'm doing maths, further maths, physics and chemistry at a2. Lol
Original post by Anonyi
I'm doing maths, further maths, physics and chemistry at a2. Lol

I was going to do chemistry for AS, it was between chemistry and economics and I choose economics, i hated it so much and ended up dropping it around November time :laugh: definitely the wrong choice to pick economics tbh.

From what chemistry my friends have shown me it seems quite mathematical and logical, but maybe they are only showing me the maths stuff :dontknow:
Reply 32
I was going to do chemistry for AS, it was between chemistry and economics and I choose economics, i hated it so much and ended up dropping it around November time :laugh: definitely the wrong choice to pick economics tbh.

From what chemistry my friends have shown me it seems quite mathematical and logical, but maybe they are only showing me the maths stuff :dontknow:

Yeah it's very maths based and logical. It was a simple AS to carry. I ended up with an A overall.
Original post by Anonyi
Yeah it's very maths based and logical. It was a simple AS to carry. I ended up with an A overall.

nice job :biggrin: damn economics and its dumb essays :laugh:
Reply 34
nice job :biggrin: damn economics and its dumb essays :laugh:

Lol I thought about studying a single writing based subject rather than chemistry, just to give myself more courses to consider at uni. I tried history but content I had to remember.......
so I dropped that subject within a week. I also tried English literature for 3 months, I realised the reason why I got a B in English lit. I literally despise poetry analysis and coursework lmao. luckily was able to pick up chemistry in January :biggrin:
Original post by Anonyi
Lol I thought about studying a single writing based subject rather than chemistry, just to give myself more courses to consider at uni. I tried history but content I had to remember.......
so I dropped that subject within a week. I also tried English literature for 3 months, I realised the reason why I got a B in English lit. I literally despise poetry analysis and coursework lmao. luckily was able to pick up chemistry in January :biggrin:

history and any sort of english is boke :laugh: but picking up chemistry in January and getting an A is amazing :biggrin:

i scraped an A in AS computing 163/200 so i just dropped it, i was originally going to do Maths, FM and computing at A2 but physics was a good A at AS and computing wasn't, so that changed my mind
Reply 36
history and any sort of english is boke :laugh: but picking up chemistry in January and getting an A is amazing :biggrin:

i scraped an A in AS computing 163/200 so i just dropped it, i was originally going to do Maths, FM and computing at A2 but physics was a good A at AS and computing wasn't, so that changed my mind

Dude I heard computing was difficult last year, damn. It wasn't that amazing losing sleep just to get the content on lockdown haha xD

Dude you got an AAAA tho. That's freaking dope, whereas I got an AAAB, I messed up my AS2 physics but aced my AS1 and AS3 physics. I thought about redoing it but it just seems inconvenient. But it did effect my predicted grades and my application, which sucked. I was legit in tears when I opened my AS results, I asked for a remark but it still came out as a B. What uni are you planning on going to?
Original post by Anonyi
Dude I heard computing was difficult last year, damn. It wasn't that amazing losing sleep just to get the content on lockdown haha xD

Dude you got an AAAA tho. That's freaking dope, whereas I got an AAAB, I messed up my AS2 physics but aced my AS1 and AS3 physics. I thought about redoing it but it just seems inconvenient. But it did effect my predicted grades and my application, which sucked. I was legit in tears when I opened my AS results, I asked for a remark but it still came out as a B. What uni are you planning on going to?

yea about 60/100 raw was an A in both papers :laugh: but the papers were so nasty, one of the modules i got half the marks raw :rofl:

AAAA is pretty much equal to AAAB, AAAB is still terrific

ah damn that sucks :cry: was it a high B? how are you finding A2 physics, do you think you'll be able to pull it up to an A?

firmed Bath so most likely there unless I do exceptionally well in June, wbu? :biggrin:
Reply 38
yea about 60/100 raw was an A in both papers :laugh: but the papers were so nasty, one of the modules i got half the marks raw :rofl:

AAAA is pretty much equal to AAAB, AAAB is still terrific

ah damn that sucks :cry: was it a high B? how are you finding A2 physics, do you think you'll be able to pull it up to an A?

firmed Bath so most likely there unless I do exceptionally well in June, wbu? :biggrin:

AAAA isn't the same as AAAB xD the B is just so unattractive and unappealing. It's like you're smart enough but not there yet, it's such a tease xD loool :biggrin:
And yeah it was a high B, 3 marks off an A. Which is annoying lol. A2 physics is alright, I got an A in my mock exam but just scraped an A, no where near an A* :frown:
I'm not entirely sure if I want to go to uni lool but I got a conditional offer at UCL to study Mathematics
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Anonyi
AAAA isn't the same as AAAB xD the B is just so unattractive and unappealing. It's like you're smart enough but not there yet, it's such a tease xD loool :biggrin:
And yeah it was a high B, 3 marks off an A. Which is annoying lol. A2 physics is alright, I got an A in my mock exam but just scraped an A, no where near an A* :frown:
I'm not entirely sure if I want to go to uni lool but I got a conditional offer at UCL to study Mathematics

well i know what you mean as I hate my Bs at gcse but AAAB will never hold you back, considering about half of alevel students only do 3 ASs (and the country average is probably CCC :laugh:)

well scrape an A by 3 marks this year and you'll get an A overall :biggrin: definitely achievable, i like the system regarding A*s where only A2s count, it means AS isn't as vital for the top grades as everyone is still a little immature and everything at AS level i think, most people wise up and get serious at A2

wow UCL thats so cool, very well done :biggrin: what are your other plans?

Quick Reply

Latest