The Student Room Group

UKMT Intermediate Olympiad 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jina1106
Does anyone know when the solutions for the questions will be posted, and how long it usually takes for the results to come out? I know it will take quite a long time to mark them, but is it usually like a month? Or a couple of weeks because there are less papers to mark than the challenge?

They aim to get results back just after general Easter holidays (I think). Also, solutions will be put up soon.
Original post by abcdefghij1234
I said that Q5 was impossible for TheBigBrick's reasoning pretty much

I got all the questions apart from Q5, could you explain what you mean by TheBigBrick's reasoning? :confused: I don't get how to do the question..
They aim to get results back just after general Easter holidays (I think). Also, solutions will be put up soon.

Thanks, I was hoping they'd give the results after Easter
For question 5, I said that 2 and 6 would have to be in a row and column with another multiple of 2. If they were with each other, they would still each need 1 multiple of 2 to satisfy each row/column being a multiple of 4. However this is done, there will be at least 1 row without a multiple of 4. E.g.

2 6 - (12)
4 - - (4)
8 - (8)
(8)(48)(-)
Basically there are 3 rows and 3 columns. Of 1-9 only 2,4,6,8 can help allow each row product be divisible by 4. 8 can at most go in 1 row and 1 columns, covering those ones, same with 4, leaving 1row and 1 column to be made divisible by 4 with only 2 or 6
I got all the questions apart from Q5, could you explain what you mean by TheBigBrick's reasoning? :confused : I don't get how to do the question..
Did everyone get just 8 for the 2016 6x6 grid question?

It's what I got, at any rate, and the others I've spoke to who took it also got 8. I don't see what else it could be, in all honesty. :smile:
Original post by BriannaTheBreeze
It's what I got, at any rate, and the others I've spoke to who took it also got 8. I don't see what else it could be, in all honesty. :smile:

Phew!
I'm interested as to how other people did question 4, I think it was- the one with the two squares and the equilateral triangle.
I'm interested as to how other people did question 4, I think it was- the one with the two squares and the equilateral triangle.

I first proved that it was isosceles because it was the diagonal of the two squares (which I proved were equal because one of each of their sides were on the equilateral triangle ABC) and then I can't remember exactly but it was something like (90 - 60)/2=15 15+15+30 = 60 and since its isosceles (180-60)Γ·2=60 and all angles are 60 therefore it's equilateralSorry it's kind of a bad explanation..

I can't think of any other answers it could be, but the way they worded the question implied they wanted us to think there was more than one answer.
I first proved that it was isosceles because it was the diagonal of the two squares (which I proved were equal because one of each of their sides were on the equilateral triangle ABC) and then I can't remember exactly but it was something like (90 - 60)/2=15 15+15+30 = 60 and since its isosceles (180-60)Γ·2=60 and all angles are 60 therefore it's equilateralSorry it's kind of a bad explanation..

Ah yeah I did something like that except I did it in a different order to you I think.
I also showed it was isosceles, but my wat of showing the apex angle is 60 is more longwinded
Original post by TheBigBrick
I also showed it was isosceles, but my wat of showing the apex angle is 60 is more longwinded

Yeah, I couldn't remember exactly how I proved it was a 60 degree angle
Questions are up on the UKMT website for those who want to re-look
They should come out pretty soon - on the website it says they will be posted only after marking is complete.
https://www.ukmt.org.uk/individual-competitions/intermediate-mathematical-olympiad/
Do you get invited to the summer school if you do well in the Cayley? Or is that just for Hamilton and Mclaurin?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Orion22
Do you get invited to the summer school if you do well in the Cayley? Or is that just for Hamilton and Mclaurin?

I think the majority get invites due to Hamilton and Maclaurin but I think if someone did exceptionally on Cayley or their solutions were really good generally they might get an invite... Not sure of exact statistics though, don't hold me to it!! :biggrin: So how did you find the paper?
I think the majority get invites due to Hamilton and Maclaurin but I think if someone did exceptionally on Cayley or their solutions were really good generally they might get an invite... Not sure of exact statistics though, don't hold me to it!! :biggrin: So how did you find the paper?

It was much easier than I expected :biggrin: but it I guess that was only because the questions hit my strong points (geometry:smile:)..I did all the questions 1 to 6, but after I handed in the paper I REALISED I DIDNT WRITE MY ANSWER IN THE SOLUTION FOR QUESTION 1!!
And there were plenty of crossing outs in my solutions, so that'll be tens of marks deducted for presentation :s-smilie::s-smilie:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest