The Student Room Group

Ex Muslim AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pochoze
I have a load of questions!

Have you publicly announced that you're not Muslim? How did your parents, wider family-friend circle and community react? Did you get a tough time?

Also what are your views on the State of Israel now that you're outside Islam?

Ask away :smile:

I have told most of my friends, and most of the muslim ones cut me off except for 2 who I'm still good friends with. I haven't told my parents or family, but I intend to once I'm financially secure.

About Israel, I think it's too late for a one state solution. I don't mind Israel being a country, but I am strongly against the occupation they have over the palestinian territories and the illegal settlements. In all fairness, I just want peace in that area.
Original post by spv
Did you leave because of:
[video="youtube;Y-Tw7WhH_aQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Tw7WhH_aQ[/video]

Something which always reasserts my disbelief is the fact that beating your wife is acceptable in Islam, it creates a sense that the man can control the wife, which is just plain misogyny. But it was not the reason I left, merely something I found out afterwards.
Original post by Mjcal1
Ive never understood the "community" south Asian people speak of (that's the only people I've personally heard talk about it). Who are they? Just regular mosque goers? Family and friends? Neighbors? Muslim strangers?

Just curious, not meant to offend in any way.

No that's fine, I am not offended.

But I am Arab not South Asian, and when we say "Muslim community", we mean in general like family, Muslim friends or anyone who is Muslim and who we may know.

It's a term we use if you are Muslim, so that means you are part of the group, but that excludes every one else who isn't.
Ask away

I have told most of my friends, and most of the muslim ones cut me off except for 2 who I'm still good friends with. I haven't told my parents or family, but I intend to once I'm financially secure.

About Israel, I think it's too late for a one state solution. I don't mind Israel being a country, but I am strongly against the occupation they have over the palestinian territories and the illegal settlements. In all fairness, I just want peace in that area.

Thanks for your reply! It's a shame you would lose friends over this. I guess it just goes to show who really are your true friends. I also hope it all goes well with your family.

As for Israel, I asked because I am Israeli :P. I have my own views on Israel's politics, but I respect you for supporting peace and not ignorantly preaching for the destruction of our country like some ignorant people do. :smile:

I have two more questions. Did you gradually begin to lose faith and doubt Islam over many years or did you just one day stop? Also are you an atheist now?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 104
Original post by Mr Oompa Loompa
No that's fine, I am not offended.

But I am Arab not South Asian, and when we say "Muslim community", we mean in general like family, Muslim friends or anyone who is Muslim and who we may know.

It's a term we use if you are Muslim, so that means you are part of the group, but that excludes every one else who isn't.

Oh ok. So basically family and Muslim friends. Sucks that you get treated as such. I won't tell my family that I don't believe in it anymore for all those reasons. Why did you feel the need to tell them though? Instead of just going about your life like a 'bad' Muslim.
Original post by ExMooseLDN
Okay, I get this alot, and I feel that this mainly comes from muslims misunderstanding us ex muslims or just outright denial that what we say may have the slightest bit of truth. Like many people I know have this closed minded mentality whereby you do not even consider that we read the Quran, and it lead us to not believing anymore. Btw, did you know that the guy who used to run VerseByVerseQuran.com left Islam. http://abdullahsameer.com/blog/about/
So at the end of the day, think what you want.

I'm not talking about ex-muslims in general. I'm just referring to the details you outlined of which why you left Islam. Like how you mentioned the lack of scientific evidence regarding the understanding of mountains and geology in the Qur'an. It just didn't seem like you looked it up enough. Also, I didn't see why you would disregard the entire religion based on this one point (again from what you mentioned earlier). Sorry if I came as harsh but I just felt like I needed to say what I thought. So anyways, I sincerely wish you good luck in life and God bless.

Original post by Hydeman
I somehow doubt that this would have been your position if the OP had converted to Islam in the same circumstances. :rolleyes:

If the OP had converted to Islam solely due to a few scientific evidences they found in the Qur'an, I would be slightly skeptical but would of course welcome them and encourage them to learn more about the religion. Cheers. :smile:
Original post by Pochoze
Ask away

Thanks for your reply! It's a shame you would lose friends over this. I guess it just goes to show who really are your true friends. I also hope it all goes well with your family.

As for Israel, I asked because I am Israeli :P. I have my own views on Israel's politics, but I respect you for supporting peace and not ignorantly preaching for the destruction of our country, like some ignorant people do. :smile:

I have two more questions. Did you gradually begin to lose faith and doubt Islam over many years or did you just one day stop? Also are you an atheist now?

Thanks and yeah at least I know who are my true friends now. I respect your views, and trust that they come out of wanting peace and security for your people. I might be going to Israel in the summer btw :smile:

I gradually lost faith over about 2 months before first saying I was no longer muslim. I first started off with doubting the specific ayas, to then denying the Quran as a text to be interpreted literally and then finally, I stopped believing in God in the Abrahamic sense, and that is when I first felt I was no longer muslim. And I would consider myself an agnostic atheist in the sense that I don't believe in a God, but I accept that there could be one.
Original post by champ_mc99
I'm not talking about ex-muslims in general. I'm just referring to the details you outlined of which why you left Islam. Like how you mentioned the lack of scientific evidence regarding the understanding of mountains and geology in the Qur'an. It just didn't seem like you looked it up enough. Also, I didn't see why you would disregard the entire religion based on this one point (again from what you mentioned earlier). Sorry if I came as harsh but I just felt like I needed to say what I thought. So anyways, I sincerely wish you good luck in life and God bless.

If the OP had converted to Islam solely due to a few scientific evidences they found in the Qur'an, I would be slightly skeptical but would of course welcome them and encourage them to learn more about the religion. Cheers. :smile:

Thank you. There are many factors tbh, too many to list here, but it is definitely not just scientific errors. I also disagree with many other aspects, like the prophets marriage to Aisha, and the fact that Islam does not condemn slavery.
Thank you. There are many factors tbh, too many to list here, but it is definitely not just scientific errors. I also disagree with many other aspects, like the prophets marriage to Aisha, and the fact that Islam does not condemn slavery.

What do you disagree with in regards to the Prophet's marriage to Aisha?
Original post by Mjcal1
Oh ok. So basically family and Muslim friends. Sucks that you get treated as such. I won't tell my family that I don't believe in it anymore for all those reasons. Why did you feel the need to tell them though? Instead of just going about your life like a 'bad' Muslim.

I know this wasn't directed towards me but I'll respond anyway. I personally would like to always stay open with my family, and I do not think they would disown me. Also, I believe that love for a child should be unconditional, so if my parents stop loving me, then it was not proper love to begin with. I understand it would be hard for them, but a relationship should always be honest rather than dishonest. Then there comes the issue of children. I'd want to raise my children non muslim, but my parents would want them to be muslim, so the more they know about my beliefs, the more straight forwards I could be with my children.
Original post by yasminkattan
What do you disagree with in regards to the Prophet's marriage to Aisha?

I do not believe, even 1400 years ago, it is acceptable to have a girl so young be married. I mean there are ahadith where it mentions her playing with dolls. I find this simply unacceptable.
Reply 111

Strangely enough, these two issues popped into my head when I was really questioning the deen. I think eventhough I knew it was wrong, I just accepted it because it would be blasphemous to believe otherwise. Few other things like how the religion was spread in the first place etc
I do not believe, even 1400 years ago, it is acceptable to have a girl so young be married. I mean there are ahadith where it mentions her playing with dolls. I find this simply unacceptable.

Well, even 300 years ago it was acceptable to marry girls that young. As soon as a girl reached puberty (meaning she is ready to have children) she was thought of as being ready for marriage. By today's standards, yes, that is too young, but these things change and it was considered the norm in the olden days. So just because you find this "simply unacceptable" it means Islam is not the right religion? It's not a good enough reason for abandoning your religion.
Reply 113
I know this wasn't directed towards me but I'll respond anyway. I personally would like to always stay open with my family, and I do not think they would disown me. Also, I believe that love for a child should be unconditional, so if my parents stop loving me, then it was not proper love to begin with. I understand it would be hard for them, but a relationship should always be honest rather than dishonest. Then there comes the issue of children. I'd want to raise my children non muslim, but my parents would want them to be muslim, so the more they know about my beliefs, the more straight forwards I could be with my children.

That's true, but religion truly makes people do some dumb sh*t. Hope it works out for you in the future. Personally, I'm just 'go with the flow'
kind of person. I guess if I did decide to have kids I would certainly tell them but otherwise I would just go about my life normally. Don't see the need in making them worry about their only son going to hell for enternity (blah blah). I just imagine every time I visit family, them just trying to convert me...smh lol.
Well, even 300 years ago it was acceptable to marry girls that young. As soon as a girl reached puberty (meaning she is ready to have children) she was thought of as being ready for marriage. By today's standards, yes, that is too young, but these things change and it was considered the norm in the olden days. So just because you find this "simply unacceptable" it means Islam is not the right religion? It's not a good enough reason for abandoning your religion.

So you agree we shouldn't base our lives and morality on how people lived 1400 years ago?
Original post by chemting
So you agree we shouldn't base our lives and morality on how people lived 1400 years ago?

No. Didn't say that.

I understand what you mean, but firstly it was only part of why I left, and secondly, I'm sorry but Islam is supposed to be timeless and apply to all times. By this logic, it would be okay for me to marry a girl at six, as long as I don't consumate this marriage until she first has a period. After that, it is acceptable to have sex, regardless of her emotional maturity. Aisha was not emotionally prepared, she was still playing with dolls after she was married off to Muhammad.
No. Didn't say that.

"but these things change and it was considered the norm in the olden days"
Reply 118

Genuine question... Do you think it's acceptable for a 10 year old girl (who's gone through puberty) to marry a grown man?
Original post by champ_mc99
@ExMooseLDN

To be honest, if you were to go through such an enormous change in your life, I think what you did was too rash. I don't think you looked into the conflicts you have with the Qur'an deep enough and I think it was wrong to base your decision on just a few things you don't seem to find right. Overall, I think the wanting to step outside the 'limitations' that Islam provides is what played the most major part in this decision (e.g. drinking alcohol, pork, gambling, sex).

Quran is meant to be perfect word of God so all it takes is one error or questionable verse in there to disprove it for someone.

Quick Reply

Latest