The Student Room Group

How can I study law at Oxford?

So, I have a complex situation, I recently figured out what I want to with my life, I want to study law ar Oxford, I am in my first year of AS at the moment, in terms of my GCSE's I got fairly mediocre grades, I could of done a lot better, in year 10 and 11 I had the attitude of I don't care as long as I get the grades to do my A levels, however, I used the mediocre earlier, which wouldn't be good enough to get into Oxford, I am certain of that, but perhaps, were there be any chance, after I finish my a levels with A's and A*'s could I go back, re do some GCSE's increasing the standard of my overall qualifications? Would that be enough to get onto an undergraduate course at Oxford? If more needed to be done, could you also let me know, I appreciate your time, thanks :smile:
Original post by Tommyds7
So, I have a complex situation, I recently figured out what I want to with my life, I want to study law ar Oxford, I am in my first year of AS at the moment, in terms of my GCSE's I got fairly mediocre grades, I could of done a lot better, in year 10 and 11 I had the attitude of I don't care as long as I get the grades to do my A levels, however, I used the mediocre earlier, which wouldn't be good enough to get into Oxford, I am certain of that, but perhaps, were there be any chance, after I finish my a levels with A's and A*'s could I go back, re do some GCSE's increasing the standard of my overall qualifications? Would that be enough to get onto an undergraduate course at Oxford? If more needed to be done, could you also let me know, I appreciate your time, thanks :smile:

What exactly do you mean by "mediocre grades"?
Reply 2
I don't think they'll take GCSE resits into consideration
Original post by Tommyds7

What exactly are your GCSE grades like? Do you have any extenuating circumstances beyond "I didn't care"?

I'm not sure Oxford will take GCSE resits into account - email Admissions and ask them. While you're at it, you might as well email them your profile too and ask if you'd be a competitive applicant. My guess is that depending on how mediocre your GCSE grades are, it will be an uphill struggle, but possibly still doable.

I'd also suggest working on your command of English, and learning how to structure arguments well. Your post has a number of typos and some grammar mistakes, which won't fly on a course that demands linguistic precision.
Reply 4
Original post by mishieru07
What exactly are your GCSE grades like? Do you have any extenuating circumstances beyond "I didn't care"?

I'm not sure Oxford will take GCSE resits into account - email Admissions and ask them. While you're at it, you might as well email them your profile too and ask if you'd be a competitive applicant. My guess is that depending on how mediocre your GCSE grades are, it will be an uphill struggle, but possibly still doable.

I'd also suggest working on your command of English, and learning how to structure arguments well. Your post has a number of typos and some grammar mistakes, which won't fly on a course that demands linguistic precision.

I appreciate your help and honestly I have some, whether or not it will justify the grades I got is debatable. I got C's, B's and one A, I doubt this would be good enough, but I will email their admission office. Forgive me for the typos my phone was lagging when I wrote that xD Like I said, I appreciate your feedback, thank you for your help :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending