The Student Room Group

Calling all vegans and vegetarians; I need your advice and experience

I went through a couple of months of going vegetarian/ vegan (half and half really as I used soy milk and tofu in place of cows milk but still ate cheese, yoghurt etc)

One thing I noticed was how difficult it was as a student to a) find places that sold soy milk and b) sold it at a reasonable price. I don't know much about other vegan dairy substitutes but I know that you can find them at most health shops and health shops tend to be... Well, expensive.

What advice do you have for a student on a low budget trying to uphold a vegan diet. Fruit and vegetables (by far the most expensive component of a good vegan diet) can be bought cheaply (relatively speaking) at the likes of Aldi. Obviously supermarkets such as Aldi don't sell luxuries like vegan cheese etc.

Scroll to see replies

No vegans or vegetarians here?
Feel like this i a GG magnet :colondollar:

awww all the best tho lovely :hugs:
ik @She-Ra is a vegan and so could maybe help you, ik others are as well but they have slipped my mind with this revision :hmmmm:
i'll have a think for you :h:
Have you looked online? I know it can be a bit risky and the prices vary but you can find good deals :smile:
Original post by CoolCavy
Feel like this i a GG magnet :colondollar:

awww all the best tho lovely :hugs:
ik @She-Ra is a vegan and so could maybe help you, ik others are as well but they have slipped my mind with this revision :hmmmm:
i'll have a think for you :h:

It's not, it's a serious thread haha

Don't bring GreatGuy here, once he starts he'll never shut up :rofl:

:hugs:

Thank you too, you are a very kind person, Cavy

I hope your revision is going well
Original post by Blondie987
Have you looked online? I know it can be a bit risky and the prices vary but you can find good deals :smile:

:colondollar:

I probably should have thought of that but it's more of a convenience thing tbh as I don't get a lot of time as it is
no ik beautiful :lol:
and no never :afraid: i dislike him cos he insults jen and that isn't on :security:
awwww bless you :colondollar: you too ARH <3
awwww ty :hugs: it is thank you xxx
it is annoying me i cant think of anymore vegans for you :lol:
dw they will come to mind x
Fair enough, I get where you're coming from, I recently went vegan, I think it can seem like a drastic financial change but it's probably because there's so much more choice for other diets, you just need to keep an eye out for the good deals tbh
Try Waitrose, they have everything.
Fair enough, I get where you're coming from, I recently went vegan, I think it can seem like a drastic financial change but it's probably because there's so much more choice for other diets, you just need to keep an eye out for the good deals tbh

Why did you become vegan? I went originally for health reasons then I read of one Peter Singers books and decided to make some changes.
Why are you asking vegetarians to advise you on finding dairy substitutes? You realise we actually consume that?
Original post by CoolCavy
no ik beautiful :lol:
and no never :afraid: i dislike him cos he insults jen and that isn't on :security:
awwww bless you :colondollar: you too ARH <3
awwww ty :hugs: it is thank you xxx
it is annoying me i cant think of anymore vegans for you :lol:
dw they will come to mind x

He can be okay if you treat him right but some times he gets quite rude

:rofl:

Dw about it, get on with your revision
xx
I was a vegetarian first for a year for moral reasons and then learned that being vegan was another big step forward, the health aspect did come into it as well though
Original post by BhagwanNoBhool
Why are you asking vegetarians to advise you on finding dairy substitutes? You realise we actually consume that?

Vegetarians might have been vegans in the past or know people who are vegan.
Also, non dairy vegetarians do exist aswell.
I was a vegetarian first for a year for moral reasons and then learned that being vegan was another big step forward, the health aspect did come into it as well though

Did you feel any different personally whilst abstaining from meat?
Reply 15
I'm a vegetarian, but when I was considering going vegan, I read a really interesting piece of advice:

If you want to go vegan but don't want to give up cheese, or cannot find a cream alternative etc etc, then go vegan and keep eating the cheese you cannot live without, or the dairy cream that you're struggling to replace.

Don't forfeit going vegan entirely because theres a few small things within it you're struggling with.

The diet may seem expensive - especially fruit and health foods that provide alternatives to nutrients from animal products. But if you shop around, buying fresh veggies from local producers helps and anything packaged you can get online opt for that. I think the diet isn't too expensive once you're into it - I currently spend a lot less on junk food.

Good luck, and most importantly have fun with it! :smile:
hello - vegan here.
Mind you I'm not a student or living away from home, but I would advice cutting back on expensive meat and dairy substitutes and focusing more on the carbohydrate and fruit and vegetable food groups, as they are very vital in a healthy diet.
Your average supermarket would sell soya milk...
I don't think so, I really didn't eat a lot of animal products before anyway, I do think the lack of processed foods has helped my mh though, that could be something else though lol
Ok, I agree with you on the first part.

Isn't a non dairy vegetarian just a vegan?

Quick Reply

Latest