The Student Room Group

north yorkshire and east coast foundation school

Hey guys,

I Would like some advice. I got really bad fpas score due to sjt and didn't get the cities I wanted London or Leeds/Sheffield.

I now have to rank Jobs in north Yorkshire and east coast foundation school. I will have to commute.

How far is too far for commuting to jobs. If i get Scarborough, Grimsby, Hull, I would have to drive for 1 hr 30 mins. Is that too much? from Leeds. Thinking in terms of petrol cost, plus house rent, etc.

York is my preferred hospital, but the jobs are not the best like psych and geriatric. which I do not want.

How popular is York teaching hospital.

This whole process is just stressing and overwhelming.

I have no family or friends anywhere here and I feel everything may be too overwhelming for me.

Can someone just give me any advice.
You could live in hospital accommodation, or with other junior doctors nearby, thus reducing need for commute?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
You could live in hospital accommodation, or with other junior doctors nearby, thus reducing need for commute?

I want to be able to maintain a work life balance and I feel like I can only achieve that if I live around leeds and sheffield.
Reply 3
I want to be able to maintain a work life balance and I feel like I can only achieve that if I live around leeds and sheffield.

But if you're commuting 1.5 hours each way, that will eat hugely into work/life balance time. Far better IMO to live closer and visit people on weekends, unless you have significant commitments like partner/kids/owning a house.
Reply 4
How far is too far for commuting to jobs. If i get Scarborough, Grimsby, Hull, I would have to drive for 1 hr 30 mins. Is that too much? from Leeds. Thinking in terms of petrol cost, plus house rent, etc.

York is my preferred hospital, but the jobs are not the best like psych and geriatric. which I do not want.

How popular is York teaching hospital.

This whole process is just stressing and overwhelming.

I have no family or friends anywhere here and I feel everything may be too overwhelming for me.

Can someone just give me any advice.

I am a HYMS student (final year)

My most recent placement I was in Scunthorpe and there was a junior there who I think was commuting from Bradford everyday. I suspect it was a long and expensive commute but up to the individual to factor into their expenses.

I imagine that the York and Hull jobs are the most popular but can't say for certain.

Although things are stressful I'm sure they will be for all of us to varying degrees so probably just focus on what is important to you and make the most of the places you end up in
Reply 5
Thanks for that. I just wish I had some in these hospitals to talk to. I guess I'll just have to suck it up and try and enjoy it.I only plan on staying for f1.
Original post by trektor
I am a HYMS student (final year)

My most recent placement I was in Scunthorpe and there was a junior there who I think was commuting from Bradford everyday. I suspect it was a long and expensive commute but up to the individual to factor into their expenses.

I imagine that the York and Hull jobs are the most popular but can't say for certain.

Although things are stressful I'm sure they will be for all of us to varying degrees so probably just focus on what is important to you and make the most of the places you end up in
One of my friends is working in North Yorkshire and actually enjoying it a lot, as the groups of F1s are a bit smaller I think it's quite social and enjoyable. You'd never catch me commuting 1hrs 30 minutes myself! Unless you own property in Leeds/Sheffield, I would certainly move out there. Especially if you're working night shifts and long days, I know I don't feel safe driving after a night shift when I'm really tired because it's not physically possible to concentrate on driving - driving an hour and a half would be well out of the question.

If you are determined to commute then I would certainly pick York as it is the closest to Leeds and an easy commute by train. Unless you are planning on quitting after F1, as far as I'm aware you need exceptional circumstances to have an inter-deanery transfer for F2, although I might be wrong. So you'd have to spend the other year out further afield because of how job combinations work. I know I thought about York and gave up on the idea when I realised it's twinned with more distant places, and in my mind I'd have to move house after 1 year.

Don't know if that helps you, but I'd certainly think hard about the reality of that kind of commute when you're dog tired and struggling to keep your eyes open. I know of at least two friends who have been in car accidents post-night shifts. Luckily not major for them but it's really a big thing, and a taxi that distance would be very costly.
Reply 7
Hi,
i have also non intentionally ended up in the North East Yorkshire deanery for 2016, however i am a sheffield student and know the North East quite well. Despite its bad reputation Hull has good night life, enough shops etc like any other large town, city. i lot of people i know from Sheffield have ended up in Hull and are having the best time due to 1. its really cheap, people can buy property and 2. no-one intended to end up there so they all have a 'lets get on with it attitude' plus a lot of people have no friends there which forces all the F1s together.
I think it will be far to far to come from Sheffield/leeds as you will have to accommodate for the traffic/parking etc... I think York/Hull is the top choice for people and Grimo/scunny will be at the bottom.. but who knows!
Reply 8
I've ended up in the same position this year. Could you provide me with an update as to where you ended up and how its been? The whole situation has really depressed me and it would be good to know a bit about your experience to try and prepare myself!
It's important to stay realistic. The 'top' jobs in the region at York and to some degree at Hull will go to the highest scoring applicants. I say they are the top jobs because they're the most sought after jobs and they are in University Teaching Hospitals vs. a District General Hospital. If you don't stay realistic you're setting yourself up for further disappointment. If you haven't scored well prepare yourself for most likely 2 years in Grimsby.

Saying that, F1/F2 is what you make of it. If you're open minded, enthusiastic and hungry - you will achieve so much in those two years (academic, career, relationships, friendships, finances) that you'll set yourself up for that dream move to London/Leeds/Sheffield with everything you could have wished for. It's just 2 years of your whole life, put it into perspective. I'm speaking from experience, keep the faith and keep your chin up. You control your future, only you.
Original post by sb2091
I've ended up in the same position this year. Could you provide me with an update as to where you ended up and how its been? The whole situation has really depressed me and it would be good to know a bit about your experience to try and prepare myself!

I have done 2 placements at Hull now. Most rotations seem fine, avoid vascular surgery - and I mean it. Great ones include ICU, breast surgery and ENT. Cardiology and endocrine might be an avoid one, not too sure. Gastro - the team is apparently very nice but people stay late. Psych is a complete gamble. All med rotations have an AAU month which is good. Acute surgery seems to girate between very busy and good learning - the rota is very punishing though, which is why you get 2 whole weeks of zero days.

I am told Hull is the best staffed centre in the region. The f1 rota is just about full, but there are many sho gaps. The locum rates are decent at £30 for f1 OOH, £45 for f2. Some of my friends in other bits of Yorkshire have definitely had worse jobs (even in Leeds) than mine.

Hull as a city is a bit dull, but quite cheap. Would I be happy to come to Hull again? Probably.
Hello, thanks for the reply!

I'm also in the same situation as sb2091 - where are you based for F2, if you don't mind me asking? There are quite a few jobs in hull/scun that I wouldn't mind but I was thinking of either living in Doncaster or Hull then commuting to scun..I'm avoiding EM/T+O/ICU, Anaes, cardio and paeds jobs lol. There are decent combinations but I think if I can get away with a general surg job either at as the first or very last job in F1, with all the other placements being more specalised (eg onco, obgyn psych etc. I like them much mroe than acute med/gen med/geriatric med jobs) then I'll be happy. Breast surg does sound good, I've seen a few jobs with look appealing but I think one or two is breast and vasc, which thInks to you, I'm hoping to avoid :smile:

Thank you again for responding, much appreciated for those unfortunately allocated to NYEC!
Oh, and how was ICU? Is it mainly ward admin? How are nights?

There's a job that I think would be perfect for me apart from the first F1 job in ICU/anaes, two specialties I've never liked.

Thanks!
Original post by eggsmakemesick
Oh, and how was ICU? Is it mainly ward admin? How are nights?

There's a job that I think would be perfect for me apart from the first F1 job in ICU/anaes, two specialties I've never liked.

Thanks!

Ive got 2 hull years. ICU is brilliant as an F1, entirely supernumerary and very well supported - some admin, but also opportunity to watch cool stuff and do the odd line. Could not recommend it more. F2 ICU has more responsibility. No nights other AAU and 1 weekend, which was actually an awesome weekend. Oncology - def avoid from what I have heard. Geris is ok apparently. Paeds Im also told is good, its half paeds and half paed surg.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending