The Student Room Group

Where in the rankings would you look down upon?

I don't want to cause hate by naming names but I applied to a uni, my mother hadn't heard of and then randomly she started asking me about it today and saying where is it ranked?

She presumed this uni was ranked around 100th and was on a similar level to a certain local university.

I mean, I'm not hating on unis ranked at 100 or below but the uni I'm referring to is around 30 on some of the tables I've seen, I know tables aren't everything but 30 to 100 is a distinct difference right?

Scroll to see replies

Is this for global rankings because below 100 in the UK is really low? Being around 100 is amazing for global rankings.
Reply 2
Original post by Vikingninja
Is this for global rankings because below 100 in the UK is really low? Being around 100 is amazing for global rankings.

UK not globally, sorry for not specifying.

The uni I've applied for tends to range between high 20s and mid 30s. My mother having not heard of it, assumed it was sub-100. I don't even go there but I feel almost offended by the comparison.
Original post by Dinasaurus
UK not globally, sorry for not specifying.

The uni I've applied for tends to range between high 20s and mid 30s. My mother having not heard of it, assumed it was sub-100. I don't even go there but I feel almost offended by the comparison.

No one knows of one of my insurance choices and its 2nd for my subject by guardian (derp derp derp) but yeah not sure why anyone would immediately think of a uni being around the 100's at rankings. Which uni is it?
So you go to a sub 100 Uni to do dance studies with girls who have red hair and tattoos.

Who cares?
Reply 5
No one knows of one of my insurance choices and its 2nd for my subject by guardian (derp derp derp) but yeah not sure why anyone would immediately think of a uni being around the 100's at rankings. Which uni is it?

Aston, I don't want to go into naming places in case people are just like "Oh it's **** anyway"
Reply 6
Original post by CreamyChocolate
So you go to a sub 100 Uni to do dance studies with girls who have red hair and tattoos.

Who cares?

I don't though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aston, I don't want to go into naming places in case people are just like "Oh it's **** anyway"

Doesn't look bad at all. QS rankings put it at 51-100 in the World for business subjects which is very high.
Anything below, say the top 5-10 ish, and I wonder why they're going to Uni tbh. Seeing someone struggle with Maths AS, and then planning to go to Uni doing something maths-related, just makes no sense.

However mainly because I always get really confused as to why people don't put any effort into school.
(edited 8 years ago)
aston is sick for pharmacy and business
Doesn't look bad at all. QS rankings put it at 51-100 in the World for business subjects which is very high.

I think it's the comparison to Anglia Ruskin (no offense to those who go there) that made me annoyed, my mother assumed that was ranked higher.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Anything below, say the top 5-10 ish, and I wonder why they're going to Uni tbh. Seeing someone struggle with Maths AS, and then planning to go to Uni doing something maths-related, just makes no sense.

Perhaps they'd teach you how to write properly.
Original post by ComputerMaths97

However mainly because I always get really confused as to why people don't put any effort into school.

I guess that's the case but even unis below top 10 still want As in the like subject you're studying generally. I doubt anyone who struggled on a subject would be able to do a related course at even a top like 80?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Perhaps they'd teach you how to write properly.

Oh, I didn't realise that he was writing an essay for you. How truly selfish of him to write in a casual and informal way on a forum.
Original post by popcornjpg
Oh, I didn't realise that he was writing an essay for you. How truly selfish of him to write in a casual and informal way on a forum.

Was I talking to you?
This is derailing a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Honestly, I wouldn't look down on any universities based on their rankings, since they all rank differently based on different criteria. All of my choices were all over the rankings board, but I chose them based on my personal preferences. (Anglia Ruskin being my firm, hey, it's not the highest ranked uni but I really liked it there on the open day and I like what they offer) :wink:
Original post by Nicoley-oley
Honestly, I wouldn't look down on any universities based on their rankings, since they all rank differently based on different criteria. All of my choices were all over the rankings board, but I chose them based on my personal preferences. (Anglia Ruskin being my firm, hey, it's not the highest ranked uni but I really liked it there on the open day and I like what they offer) :wink:

Yeah I have a friend who goes there, I've not looked at its ranking for his course and he seems pretty happy. Looking down is a poor choice of words as nearly every uni has benefits and even going to uni is usually better than not for certain subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I have a friend who goes there, I've not looked at its ranking for his course and he seems pretty happy. Looking down is a poor choice of words as nearly every uni has benefits and even going to uni is usually better than not for certain subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure ranking obviously has something to do with the quality of the uni, so I wouldn't say that rankings are entirely unreliable, but I know a few people who study at a university that is one of the lowest ranked universities but they absolutely love it there and probably wouldn't change if given the choice, and the same goes for high ranking universities, I've heard through some friends that a couple universities ranked in the top 20 haven't suited them at all and have transferred. It's entirely subjective, hence why I choose not to judge a uni based on its rankings.
Was I talking to you?

Well, when I see stupidity, I can't help but comment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending