The Student Room Group

Myth-Busting Mondays: How many children experience bereavement of a parent/sibling?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Lost my nan and dad under the age of 16, probably other family members too, but wasn't close so never found out. Nan when i was 8, dad when i was 15.
I picked 1 in 10; I was between that and 25. Pure guesswork.
Original post by WBZ144
I experience it but when I was a bit older. Death of my sister.

I voted 1 in 25.

I lost my brother a few months ago (I'm 18) so I can relate to your loss. I feel it's rare to lose a sibling and no one understands. On the one hand, I'm glad no one has to understand because you only understand once you've experienced it, but on the other hand, I wish someone knew what it was like. But I hope your family is doing ok. It's not something you get over, it's something you learn to live with and I can only wish you all the best in life.
A friend of mine lost his father at around 6/7, he was troubled by it, however he now has better relationships with friends. I think that, whilst it is not the case for everyone, those who loose familly members gain more friends at school etc. A silver lining to a grey cloud, if you will.
Original post by Anonymous
I lost my brother a few months ago (I'm 18) so I can relate to your loss. I feel it's rare to lose a sibling and no one understands. On the one hand, I'm glad no one has to understand because you only understand once you've experienced it, but on the other hand, I wish someone knew what it was like. But I hope your family is doing ok. It's not something you get over, it's something you learn to live with and I can only wish you all the best in life.

A few months ago? I'm so sorry for your loss, I can imagine how it feels and hope you get through this and find some comfort soon. You're absolutely right; he will remain in your memory but it's something that you learn to live with and things will eventually start to look up. Wishing you all the best too :hugs:
My heart goes out to all of you.

And what a wonderful effort to get people talking and supporting each other.
Reply 26
I know of at least 2 friends that have lost one of their parents (both mother) and another that has lost his father. I don't know much of the details (this isn't really something you bring up) but **** must've been hard. Very glad I've never had to go through that myself.

Spoiler

Original post by queen-bee
Both my parents died when I was aged 22

Aw :/
My best friends dad passed away last year in April - she was 18... hmmm

Sorry to hear you lost your brother. :hugs: I lost my brother 10 years ago and I think you're right that it seems like no one understands. I remember going into school the next school day and my form tutor asked "are you ok" (in front of the whole class) and that was it. My friends knew but not one of them spoke to me or asked how I felt, whereas there was another girl in my year who lost her mum and everyone was saying they're there for her and if she wanted to talk. I guess this sounds kind of like I'm making this out as a competition, that isn't my intention, I just think that you're right people don't understand.

Btw if you want to talk about what you're going through then I'd be willing to talk things over with you or whatever - just pm me (mods can tell you who I am if you want to do that).
Considering that child mortality is very low, it always struck me as remarkable that both the present and the immediate past Prime Ministers had lost a child.
I lost my dad when I was 10 and brother a few years later. My father's death was expected, as he had a long term illness and doctors had told us it was terminal, whereas losing my brother was something else entirely. The pain still feels so raw, some days.
Thank you for you input everyone. It really is a heartbreaking topic, but I hope this helped to get people thinking about such an important topic. This topic is one which is close to my heart as my dad passed away when I was 15, and so I know the huge impact this has. Of course, at any age it is a horrible experience, so I'm here for anyone who needs supports or wants a chat - feel free to PM me whenever!

Of course the stats for this topic are likely to be under reported, as with most topics. According to the Winston's Wish Charity, the statistic is 1 in 25. That's, on average, just over one child per classroom! For more statistics, visit the Facts and figures page of the charities website.

Is there a topic you'd like to see be brought up for myth-bursting Mondays? Post below or PM me your ideas :smile:
Original post by WBZ144
A few months ago? I'm so sorry for your loss, I can imagine how it feels and hope you get through this and find some comfort soon. You're absolutely right; he will remain in your memory but it's something that you learn to live with and things will eventually start to look up. Wishing you all the best too :hugs:

Thank you so much :console: <3
Sorry to hear you lost your brother. :hugs: I lost my brother 10 years ago and I think you're right that it seems like no one understands. I remember going into school the next school day and my form tutor asked "are you ok" (in front of the whole class) and that was it. My friends knew but not one of them spoke to me or asked how I felt, whereas there was another girl in my year who lost her mum and everyone was saying they're there for her and if she wanted to talk. I guess this sounds kind of like I'm making this out as a competition, that isn't my intention, I just think that you're right people don't understand.

Btw if you want to talk about what you're going through then I'd be willing to talk things over with you or whatever - just pm me (mods can tell you who I am if you want to do that).

Hey, thank you so much. It's so comforting to know that there are people who understand (though, I wish none of us had gone through this). No, don't worry, I completely understand what you mean, it doesn't sound like you're 'competing' at all. That's terrible, I feel that people don't really ever come across someone who's lost a sibling at such a young age and so they don't know what to say or do. People avoid the topic with me too, or they just avoid me as a whole. It would be lovely to talk to you. Thank you for sharing and understanding, it means so much.
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Thank you for you input everyone. It really is a heartbreaking topic, but I hope this helped to get people thinking about such an important topic. This topic is one which is close to my heart as my dad passed away when I was 15, and so I know the huge impact this has. Of course, at any age it is a horrible experience, so I'm here for anyone who needs supports or wants a chat - feel free to PM me whenever!

Of course the stats for this topic are likely to be under reported, as with most topics. According to the Winston's Wish Charity, the statistic is 1 in 25. That's, on average, just over one child per classroom! For more statistics, visit the Facts and figures page of the charities website.

Is there a topic you'd like to see be brought up for myth-bursting Mondays? Post below or PM me your ideas :smile:

I picked 1 in 10. In my year group of around 70 kids there were at least 5 who had lost a parent

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending