The Student Room Group

Too late for A grades at AS

We just had our mocks exams and I didn't do too well
Maths-D (My teacher wanted to kill me because of the silly mistakes I made on the paper could have gotten an A )
Biology- C
History- B
Chemistry- E
I've been relearning all the topics in detail over the past 2 weeks as a result but I'm worried that I may have left it too late. Does anyone have any tips of what I should do to make sure I get 4As and has anyone else had similar experiences to this? Thank you
(edited 8 years ago)
Ask for help from teachers/tutors to go over topics you're really unclear on. Also, whilst subject revision is very important, practicing exam technique shouldn't be overlooked.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey check out my thread I asked a similar questions a few days ago and a lot of people were positive telling me how they managed to go from UUUD to AAAA within 5 weeks it's all about the amount of work you do study smart! I'm in a similar position as you hopefully if we work hard we can do this !

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sure you can still get four A's.

You need to seriously no-life it though. Like, seriously. I'm talking 6-8 hours independent study no-lifing.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I'm sure you can still get four A's.

You need to seriously no-life it though. Like, seriously. I'm talking 6-8 hours independent study no-lifing.

I've already started no lifing it since the 1st March got a lot done and get stuff more
Original post by Foreverton
Ask for help from teachers/tutors to go over topics you're really unclear on. Also, whilst subject revision is very important, practicing exam technique shouldn't be overlooked.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that's been my problem as we're doing an entirely new spec so I've just decided to use the old spec past papers to practise exam technique
Original post by Boredomstrikes
We just had our mocks exams and I didn't do too well
Maths-D (My teacher wanted to kill me because of the silly mistakes I made on the paper could have gotten an A )
Biology- C
History- B
Chemistry- E
I've been relearning all the topics in detail over the past 2 weeks as a result but I'm worried that I may have left it too late. Does anyone have any tips of what I should do to make sure I get 4As and has anyone else had similar experiences to this? Thank you

What helped me in maths was examsolutions, the website runs you through explanations as well as worked examples and it's all videos. Also make sure you cover pretty much ever past paper

I didn't do Science at A-Level but for GCSE the best way to revise science is make flash-cards with vital pieces of information from each topic on them as well as absolutely spamming past papers. By the end of next month there shouldn't be a past paper you haven't done

And for History which i did for A-level, making a timeline and highlighting key events is the best option if you're a visual learner. Reading books regarding the subject would also help a lot and make your paper stand out.

Hope that helps!
Original post by Boredomstrikes
I think that's been my problem as we're doing an entirely new spec so I've just decided to use the old spec past papers to practise exam technique

Had a productive week? I've just realised this week that I need to up my game.
Original post by Samistrawberry
Had a productive week? I've just realised this week that I need to up my game.

Yeah I have I'm relearning all the big topics first in chemistry, nearly finished organic and finished inorganic and I'm moving onto to Formula, Equations, and Amount of Substance and Chemical bonding next week. I'm making sure I keep up with the things we're learning in class in Biology so I don't have to revise them as much during the Easter and I finished relearning C1 this week so it's past papers galore.
Reply 9
It's never too late to revise.

Your college give you mock exams so you can see how well are you doing. They are also a good way to give you a wake up call.

First of all, goes through your mock papers and see where your struggling. These's are the topics you need to revise the most.

Secondly, revise these topics. I did AS maths, biology and chemistry. In maths I revised by doing past papers. That's the only way you can revise for maths tbh. For chemistry, revise the content and then practise questions. Same for biology. There are great resources online for biology and chemistry.

Thirdly, every time you do a question that you get wrong; highlight it and try again after revising the topic area.

Revision cards are good for definition that come up in biology and chemistry.

From my experience, all 3 maths mocks I did I got an A. However, biology and chemistry, I got Cs so that was my wake up call to sort out those two subjects.

If you need any more help or have more questions, feel free to message me. Don't stress yourself out and good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I went from a D in AS PE and got in to an A. That was thanks to my college you allowed me to do the AS classes again at the same time as A2. Plus, in every free and 1 hour after school I went to the quiet study room in the library. I asked for more work and read textbooks to use the time. I did the same for other subjects although not as much.
Original post by Nish97
It's never too late to revise.

Your college give you mock exams so you can see how well are you doing. They are also a good way to give you a wake up call.

First of all, goes through your mock papers and see where your struggling. These's are the topics you need to revise the most.

Secondly, revise these topics. I did AS maths, biology and chemistry. In maths I revised by doing past papers. That's the only way you can revise for maths tbh. For chemistry, revise the content and then practise questions. Same for biology. There are great resources online for biology and chemistry.

Thirdly, every time you do a question that you get wrong; highlight it and try again after revising the topic area.

Revision cards are good for definition that come up in biology and chemistry.

From my experience, all 3 maths mocks I did I got an A. However, biology and chemistry, I got Cs so that was my wake up call to sort out those two subjects.

If you need any more help or have more questions, feel free to message me. Don't stress yourself out and good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

How much revision did you do over Easter I'm doing 4 hours a day and past papers on weekends and plan on moving it up to 8 hours a day during Easter
Reply 12
Well for me 4 days out of the 2 weeks, I went into college for extra revision sessions. So I spent 6 hours in college each day doing work. Then the rest of the days I would do 2 hours of each subject. So, 6 hours in total and I think I'll keep it 6 hours this year too.

Most days I didn't really have a timetable. I never stick to them and they put more pressure on me. I actually do more work when I don't plan things out in advance.

Also, I can get easily distracted and bored so I would have to take breaks every 35/40 mins. That's something to take in mind when revising.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nish97
Well for me 4 days out of the 2 weeks, I went into college for extra revision sessions. So I spent 6 hours in college each day doing work. Then the rest of the days I would do 2 hours of each subject. So, 6 hours in total and I think I'll keep it 6 hours this year too.

Most days I didn't really have a timetable. I never stick to them and they put more pressure on me. I actually do more work when I don't plan things out in advance.

Also, I can get easily distracted and bored so I would have to take breaks every 35/40 mins. That's something to take in mind when revising.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I've started doing now because I just found a timetable too restrictive so instead I have my hours on a like to do list so that I can do them whenever I want throughout the day as long as I do them
Original post by cathartic
Hey check out my thread I asked a similar questions a few days ago and a lot of people were positive telling me how they managed to go from UUUD to AAAA within 5 weeks it's all about the amount of work you do study smart! I'm in a similar position as you hopefully if we work hard we can do this !

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please tell me what you did ...i had similar grades for my mocks and i'm desperate for A's in my exams...is it too late for me...? say i start hardcore revision from tomoz and exams are at end of may...i started revision but tbh very lightly..and do regret it...please help me!! :frown:
Original post by elforjg02
Please tell me what you did ...i had similar grades for my mocks and i'm desperate for A's in my exams...is it too late for me...? say i start hardcore revision from tomoz and exams are at end of may...i started revision but tbh very lightly..and do regret it...please help me!! :frown:

Check this thread out http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3944025

I'm in the same position as you but people have motivated me trust me you can do anything if you can imagine it it is possible! Just takes a lot of work but you've got like 60 days until your exam might aswell stop procrastinating sacrifice all your social media and just do the work! It will be soo worth it! You don't want to retake the year :smile: good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
GUYS I GOT
Biology-A
Chemistry-A
History-A
Maths- B

Quick Reply

Latest