The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Fact is the moment you're begging for a favour from Newcastle, you've lost any right to the title. Still can't believe we bottled the league in the space of 3 games against absolute dross, a new record tbf. Wonder what the pedos excuse will be
Wait you guys actually thought we would win the league? Wenger must have had you guys in a trance up until recently lol. I have never once said Arsenal would win the league that was obvious Arsenal can't win it
It would be such a mental season if West Ham sneak 4th meaning Leicester winning the title, Spurs finishing 2nd, Arsenal in 3rd with West Ham in 4th. No Chelsea, no City, no United and no Liverpool in the top 4. Top clubs have certainly failed miserably this season.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by leinad2012
Fact is the moment you're begging for a favour from Newcastle, you've lost any right to the title. Still can't believe we bottled the league in the space of 3 games against absolute dross, a new record tbf. Wonder what the pedos excuse will be

I get you don't like the guy like many others but stop embarrassing yourself, he doesn't deserve abuse and you're starting to sound like a benefits abusing rent boy.
At least you'll likely still make top 4.

That's not even a dig - with how competitive next season will be, having CL with the potential pull of a new manager could seriously help you attracting players ahead of the likes of Liverpool and Chelsea.

Even without CL you have to assume United with (presumably) Mourinho would be able to buy pretty much whatever players they want, but it'll be very interesting to see how Leicester and Spurs go about things.

Chelsea will be back up there and Klopp loves to be the underdog and I'm excited to see who he buys. It's gonna be the best season yet but you need to use this window wisely.
It's unacceptable to have a team like Leicester finish above you. Any manager of a top team like Arsenal, United, City or Chelsea who finishes below Leicester should be automatically sacked (assuming they were there all season).

Wenger is a disgrace; the title was put on a plate for you and once again you've bottled it.
Scenes when you replace Wenger with Martinez.
Imagine a united fan lecturing us. When he's team can't be ahead of this Arsenal team despite spending 300m. Sit down.

Such big mouths. Wish you'd all move to Manchester.
(edited 8 years ago)
Can't wait for the season to end. Put Us all out of our misery by finishing out of top 4 for once. We don't care if we can't afford the best players. All we want is change at the top.
Original post by atom y humber
Imagine a united fan lecturing us. When he's team can't be ahead of this Arsenal team despite spending 300m. Sit down.

Such big mouths. Wish you'd all move to Manchester.

You know, when someone mocks Man Utd fans not being from Manchester or even the country, they're somehow trying to insult the club investing wisely in good marketing which has helped create more profits which has allowed them to grow as a club and becoming one of the richest in the world, meaning they can never be seriously accused of buying a title, and went on to win loads of titles, including 3 in a row twice, and two Champions Leagues nearly a decade apart. In effect, the person is insulting a club for being more successful than they are.

While simultaneously ignoring that most if not the entirety of the players and management of the club they support aren't from the country, let alone the city of the club.

Arsenal, for example, are managed by a Frenchman, and have a team where a Briton is a minority, playing in a stadium named essentially after an Arab country, and whose major shareholders are an American and a Russian.
Still a few games off doom-gloom yet.

Forget spurs, sure they look like they are in a good place - but thats only to people who have not bothered to look at their remaining fixtures, which are the worse out of any of the top4. No chance at the title for them, as their godly form has dropped away a bit recently, and they wont come out unscathed from games against united, liverpool, chelsea, stoke away, etc.

Leicester are still not over the line.. especially when you look at their last 5 games:

West ham (h)
Swansea (h)
United (a)
Everton (h)
Chelsea (a)

If they are still 8pts clear before that run of fixtures, then fair enough - title race over, call it a day.

But if they drop any points in the build up to Crystal Palace away, southampton or sunderland.. then for me its game on again. Chelsea are back on good form, everton are still very dangerous on their day.. united are still chasing top4 hopes (just) and westham, have one of the best records against any top side this year..

Its highly unlikely that we can catch them, but for me, how the season will end depends on the gap between leicster, city and arsenal going into those final 5 fixtures.. (if spurs are still in it, then **** me, give them the title, because with their fixtures they will have earnt it.)
Original post by fallen_acorns
Still a few games off doom-gloom yet.

Forget spurs, sure they look like they are in a good place - but thats only to people who have not bothered to look at their remaining fixtures, which are the worse out of any of the top4. No chance at the title for them, as their godly form has dropped away a bit recently, and they wont come out unscathed from games against united, liverpool, chelsea, stoke away, etc.

Leicester are still not over the line.. especially when you look at their last 5 games:

West ham (h)
Swansea (h)
United (a)
Everton (h)
Chelsea (a)

If they are still 8pts clear before that run of fixtures, then fair enough - title race over, call it a day.

But if they drop any points in the build up to Crystal Palace away, southampton or sunderland.. then for me its game on again. Chelsea are back on good form, everton are still very dangerous on their day.. united are still chasing top4 hopes (just) and westham, have one of the best records against any top side this year..

Its highly unlikely that we can catch them, but for me, how the season will end depends on the gap between leicster, city and arsenal going into those final 5 fixtures.. (if spurs are still in it, then **** me, give them the title, because with their fixtures they will have earnt it.)

As a worst case scenario I had them dropping points against Palace, Southampton, West Ham, Man Utd and Chelsea. Even then, Spurs would have to win all their winnable matches and gain a couple more points. Arsenal etc. would have to win nearly all their games.

Even if Arsenal or City hit top form suddenly, that has to coincide with Leicester AND Spurs both crashing and burning dramatically for them to overtake them.

Spurs have great fixtures. Home to Bournemouth, Liverpool, Man Utd, home to West Brom and Southampton, and Newcastle on the final day. But all the teams have winnable and daunting matches, and play a few of the same opponents. Leicester just need to match everyone else's performance, and everyone will drop points. That 5-point and 8-11 point gap is monstrous when you know none of the teams will win all their games.
Original post by ozzyoscy
You know, when someone mocks Man Utd fans not being from Manchester or even the country, they're somehow trying to insult the club investing wisely in good marketing which has helped create more profits which has allowed them to grow as a club and becoming one of the richest in the world, meaning they can never be seriously accused of buying a title, and went on to win loads of titles, including 3 in a row twice, and two Champions Leagues nearly a decade apart. In effect, the person is insulting a club for being more successful than they are.

While simultaneously ignoring that most if not the entirety of the players and management of the club they support aren't from the country, let alone the city of the club.

Arsenal, for example, are managed by a Frenchman, and have a team where a Briton is a minority, playing in a stadium named essentially after an Arab country, and whose major shareholders are an American and a Russian.

Manz spouts I repz the endz [state postcode E9, E7, SE5, NW3 ] trigger trigger bang bang. Supports a team in Manchester. Get out. What happens when London is in a war with Manchester and London decide to blow OT; what're gonna do.

Tbh I couldn't give a **** where they came from. It's them all of a sudden coming out of the woods lately and thinking they can **** on us given their situation.

I'm just like please sit dow and tell me about a shortcut to get to your franchise from Trafford centre.

Basically it's not that poetic but you seem to love a pointless rant. So congrats.
(edited 8 years ago)
Even if arsenal won every game (which we won't) I would still be surprised if Leicester dropped 8 points. They've beaten city, spurs etc, and show no signs of bottling. Meanwhile we've won 4 games from our last 14 and couldn't even get points off relegation scrappers who's manager was in hospital. There's a time when it's right to say it's over, it wasn't in Januray but after last night I'd say it is now.
Just a shame that we have to ride out these months, but next year is going to be even worse. Predicting now that we'll somehow scrape top 4 and win FA cup next season. A fitting way for Arsene to go out, like he has done for the last 10 years, by achieving average results and providing little to no excitement, only disappointment.
You either die a hero, or live long enough to become a villain. In many Arsenal fans eyes, Wenger has crossed over that line now.
We can sell out matchdays at the Emirates even without Champions League football. Because then we bring more of our youth through; they are grounded and made to work harder because of the lack of money, and therefore enjoy what they're doing without any pressure. It'll also drive down ticket prices and make our atmosphere great again.
Also, if Wenger doesn't leave then he should just shuffle his coaching staff. Whatever did Bould and Banfield do anyway?
This whole thing about 'Arsenal playing beautiful football' is a myth aswell. We are absolutely dire to watch nowadays.
Reply 5856
Tbh, our atmosphere was never "great" - even at Highbury. Sure it was 10x better than what it is today but I'm sure that the Emirates is comparatively the worst (except maybe the Ethiad).

I've genuinely given up any hope of our fanbase improving

Posted from TSR Mobile
It was called Highbury library for a reason. Tbf our match going fans and arm chair fans like myself (although i do go to games wherever possible) are some of the worst in the world, we get what we deserve, more than we deserve in fact. Part of the reason leicester are killing it is because their supporters are class (like noncesons baby), they lift the players. Our fans see games as an art exhibition, silence and order must be maintained at all times.
Original post by ozzyoscy
As a worst case scenario I had them dropping points against Palace, Southampton, West Ham, Man Utd and Chelsea. Even then, Spurs would have to win all their winnable matches and gain a couple more points. Arsenal etc. would have to win nearly all their games.

Even if Arsenal or City hit top form suddenly, that has to coincide with Leicester AND Spurs both crashing and burning dramatically for them to overtake them.

Spurs have great fixtures. Home to Bournemouth, Liverpool, Man Utd, home to West Brom and Southampton, and Newcastle on the final day. But all the teams have winnable and daunting matches, and play a few of the same opponents. Leicester just need to match everyone else's performance, and everyone will drop points. That 5-point and 8-11 point gap is monstrous when you know none of the teams will win all their games.

I agree with the first part, that arsenal would basically need to win all of their remaining games to have any hope.

But I disagree about spurs, their challenging games may be at home, but their fixture list is still the worst of the top4 for me, and its all in one 5 game period: liverpool away, united at home, stoke away, (west brom), chelsea away.

Thats a horrible run of games for them, and if they are not on top form, could easily cost them 6-9pts. Id be amazed if they are in the top2 come the end of the season.

---

For me, arsenals best hope for any sucess in the league, depends partly on man city faltering. Leicsters big games against united + west ham, will be so much more challenging/risky, if their two upponents genuinly feel like they are still in the race for top4, same with spurs.vs.liverpool.
Koscielny is closing in on a return, which is good news. Gabriel just hasn't cut his mustard this season (and is even worse alongside Mert). I think he'll only ever come good if we poach Musacchio or Victor Ruiz from Villarreal and partner Gab with either.

Latest