The Student Room Group

Imperial vs. Bath Chem Eng

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Bath_Student
Good work. However, it doesn't take into account how respectable each institution is within that 'top' category. The top 5 are significantly above the 6th, indisputably.

Sigh...
Good work. However, it doesn't take into account how respectable each institution is within that 'top' category. The top 5 are significantly above the 6th, indisputably.

A target is a target, all are equally likely to land you an interview in IBD. Of course Imperial, LSE, Oxbridge - The G5 are generally far more reputable than Warwick. But when it comes to IBD all 6 are equal largely due to Warwicks affiliation to COWI.
(Oxbridge and Imperial are considered top tier universities by Investment Banks so getting a degree from these universities will definitely put you at an advanage over all other UK universities

Along with Oxbridge, Imperial and LSE are universities such as UCL and Warwick

you wont like the source though
(edited 8 years ago)
lol if Warwick's on that list (a university not known outside of TSR..) then Bath must be.

Source desperately needed here.

Source is easy, if you actually are a Bath student go rock up to someone that's completed a spring week or internship about which universities popped up the most amongst their class. It's usually Warwick/LSE, they're known for being banking 'breeding grounds'.

Re:target vs not. I'd say Bath is a 'semi-target' and one of the better ones at that. Alongside, Notts, Bristol, Durham etc, they send the most out of all such universities within this group - including Edinburgh, KCL, Birmingham, Manchester etc in here. However, 80% of front office intakes still come from the top 6.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Oilfreak1
A target is a target, all are equally likely to land you an interview in IBD. Of course Imperial, LSE, Oxbridge - The G5 are generally far more reputable than Warwick. But when it comes to IBD all 6 are equal largely due to Warwicks affiliation to COWI.

It's not just IBD, it's all of finance (IBD, S&T, ER, prop trading houses etc), consulting and law.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Source is easy, if you actually are a Bath student go rock up to someone that's completed a spring week or internship about which universities popped up the most amongst their class. It's usually Warwick/LSE, they're known for being banking 'breeding grounds'.

Re:target vs not. I'd say Bath is a 'semi-target' and one of the better ones at that. Alongside, Notts, Bristol, Durham etc, they send the most out of all such universities within this group - including Edinburgh, KCL, Birmingham, Manchester etc in here. However, 80% of front office intakes still come from the top 6.

Makes a change to see some mature, impartial discussion on TSR :smile:
It's not just IBD, it's all of finance (IBD, S&T, ER, prop trading houses etc), consulting and law.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks for clarifying a bit of a narrow minded response from me, pretty much replying to the OP with what I would tell my past self when choosing between a target/non-target thinking of only my own goals at present :P (So IB and nothing but IB lol).
(edited 8 years ago)
Isn't UCL awful for chemical engineering? and LSE doesn't even do it, neither does Warwick to my knowledge.
Original post by richpanda
Isn't UCL awful for chemical engineering? and LSE doesn't even do it, neither does Warwick to my knowledge.

Yeah I mentioned Imperial was a target and Bath was not (should OP want to break into finance at some point), proceeded to list the targets (OP understandably wanted clarification on why imperial would be better than Bath for this)

Got called out "if Warwick is there then surely Bath must be too".

thread got hijacked and what is and isn't a target became the topic.

UCL is indeed atrocious at ChemEng.
(edited 8 years ago)

Depends on your opinion of 'awful'. And that's correct, doesn't change the fact that LSE and Warwick are targets for investment banking however - the industry doesn't take into account course differences. On a pure course basis, Bath is probably the next best after Imperial for ChemEng and, certainly, going to one or the other won't drastically change one's chances of getting into engineering post-uni but it can change one's chances of breaking into finance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doesn't it get a bit boring for you having to explain the target and semi target universities for IB all the time?
Original post by tom_mcc
Doesn't it get a bit boring for you having to explain the target and semi target universities for IB all the time?

Yes, but as a mod for the IB and C forum it's pretty much part of my job. This forum has soooo much misinformation it's unbelievable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends on your opinion of 'awful'. And that's correct, doesn't change the fact that LSE and Warwick are targets for investment banking however - the industry doesn't take into account course differences. On a pure course basis, Bath is probably the next best after Imperial for ChemEng and, certainly, going to one or the other won't drastically change one's chances of getting into engineering post-uni but it can change one's chances of breaking into finance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's better for getting in to IB, Cambridge or Imperial? Cambridge is probably slightly better, but Imperial is (obviously) in London so better connections?
What's better for getting in to IB, Cambridge or Imperial? Cambridge is probably slightly better, but Imperial is (obviously) in London so better connections?

They are both targeted equally. Cambridge has 'preftige' if you want to feel smug, but really there's not much difference. The whole 'better connections in London' argument is a bit moot when everyone applies online and banks go out to visit/network with their target universities anyway.
They are both targeted equally. Cambridge has 'preftige' if you want to feel smug, but really there's not much difference. The whole 'better connections in London' argument is a bit moot when everyone applies online and banks go out to visit/network with their target universities anyway.

Sorry I'm only in lower sixth so I don't know too much about this, what do people mean by the 'headhunting list of universities' or whatever they call it?
Sorry I'm only in lower sixth so I don't know too much about this, what do people mean by the 'headhunting list of universities' or whatever they call it?

No one in uni gets 'headhunted', that's purely reserved for those working in the field with several years of work experience.

A 'target' is a university that all firmss visit, give presentations/networking sessions at and favour students when culling down on the number of applicants for front office roles. What you'll find is that a high proportion of students from these universities are represented in internships and grad scheme intakes - this proportion is about 80% of the UK grad intake for front office.

Targets: Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL and Imperial

Semi-target is where some firms target but not all. A smaller proportion make it in (c.15% of the intake), however you do still get a bit of a boost over say, a university where no firms recruit from or bother going to.

i.e. Nottingham, Bristol, Durham, Bath, Cass, Edinburgh, Manchester, St Andrews, KCL and Birmingham

Then the rest of the universities that firms don't pay any vested attention towards for their front office positions - or non-targets. It's much more difficult (not impossible, it has been done several times) to break in from one of these and you pretty much have to be an exceptional individual to have a chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No one in uni gets 'headhunted', that's purely reserved for those working in the field with several years of work experience.

A 'target' is a university that all firmss visit, give presentations/networking sessions at and favour students when culling down on the number of applicants for front office roles. What you'll find is that a high proportion of students from these universities are represented in internships and grad scheme intakes - this proportion is about 80% of the UK grad intake for front office.

Targets: Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL and Imperial

Semi-target is where some firms target but not all. A smaller proportion make it in (c.15% of the intake), however you do still get a bit of a boost over say, a university where no firms recruit from or bother going to.

i.e. Nottingham, Bristol, Durham, Bath, Cass, Edinburgh, Manchester, St Andrews, KCL and Birmingham

Then the rest of the universities that firms don't pay any vested attention towards for their front office positions - or non-targets. It's much more difficult (not impossible, it has been done several times) to break in from one of these and you pretty much have to be an exceptional individual to have a chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. Are these presentations/networking sessions pretty much only for those with a maths/science based degree?
Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. Are these presentations/networking sessions pretty much only for those with a maths/science based degree?

Banks recruit from all subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Yes, but as a mod for the IB and C forum it's pretty much part of my job. This forum has soooo much misinformation it's unbelievable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Oilfreak1
Yeah I mentioned Imperial was a target and Bath was not (should OP want to break into finance at some point), proceeded to list the targets (OP understandably wanted clarification on why imperial would be better than Bath for this)Got called out "if Warwick is there then surely Bath must be too".thread got hijacked and what is and isn't a target became the topic.UCL is indeed atrocious at ChemEng.
Thanks for taking the time to reply! I hadn't even thought about the chances and advantages of either uni when it comes into entering the finance sector, so thanks for the insight. As I am doing engineering instead of an economics kind of degree, how far behind will this put me when/if I apply for an IB position? In terms of knowledge, employability, skills needed etc etc.
Original post by jessedoell
Thanks for taking the time to reply! I hadn't even thought about the chances and advantages of either uni when it comes into entering the finance sector, so thanks for the insight. As I am doing engineering instead of an economics kind of degree, how far behind will this put me when/if I apply for an IB position? In terms of knowledge, employability, skills needed etc etc.

Why even focus on IB? You are applying for engineering. Otherwise, take a gap year and study economics. If you want to do IB, do economics. Don't waste time in the engineering faculty. Don't you realise how unproductive it is to spend 4 years studying engineering just to want to do IB later?

Quick Reply

Latest