The Student Room Group

Who has been/is in debt? (POLL)

Poll

Are you/have you been in debt?

STUDENT DEBT DOESN'T COUNT.

I am currently in debt, but what about you guys, and how do you deal with it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's something I hope to avoid. I'd rather be indebted to my parents who'd charge zero interest than take out any large loans from the banks.
Reply 2
Original post by Alexion
It's something I hope to avoid. I'd rather be indebted to my parents who'd charge zero interest than take out any large loans from the banks.

I'm in debt to American Express, fun times. Luckily the bank of Dad is paying it :blush:
Would try to avoid a high interest kind of debt at all costs. That means no Wonga style debt or credit card debts unless I was truly desperate.

If I ever did get into this situation I would work like crazy to pay it off as soon as possible.
I've never been in debt
Reply 5
Original post by IAmNero
I'm in debt to American Express, fun times. Luckily the bank of Dad is paying it :blush:

Oops. Credit? Lucky that we've got parents to save us in these situations :lol:
Reply 6
Original post by Alexion
Oops. Credit? Lucky that we've got parents to save us in these situations :lol:

Charge Card, even worse. My Dad is amazing at helping me out :smile: Mind you he did moan that I didn't tell him earlier :blush:
Reply 7
I did just vote 'no' but they I realised I have a £40,000 student loan to pay back :lol:
Reply 8
Original post by Howbeit
I did just vote 'no' but they I realised I have a £40,000 student loan to pay back :lol:

Student loans aren't proper debt :P
They really should say that student debt doesn't count on the front page poll...
Yes - currently. Landlord hasn't paid deposit back nearly six weeks after tenancy ended. In the meantime I have been abroad twice and don't feel bad for a second for having gone ahead with plans.
I'm in debt with council tax but thankfully, they let me make small payments towards it every month and have been understanding. That's the only debt I have other than all the money I should probably pay back to my gran and mum from over the years of them bailing me out of bills :colondollar:
Yes. But that's because I'd rather pay for more expensive items on my card and then pay back the money. I do have the money, I'd rather have the extra protection my credit card offers me. (and the cashback)

And then there was the time that the council took their sweet time with sorting out my housing benefit which meant some 7 weeks of arrears, which I only knew about when I got threatened with eviction.

Have also been in debt to a friend of just under £100. We'd gone camping in France and I can't say I was that keen on carrying a lot of money around with me; so borrowed money from him and paid him back later.
I have a car finance arrangement, an overdraft, and a sofa finance payment at the moment. Over half way through car payments and have never missed any payments for anything. Slowly paying off my overdraft over time, have had it for far too long now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Me sadly
Reply 15
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Me sadly

Welcome to the debt club :P
Original post by IAmNero
Welcome to the debt club :P

Probably deal with it next year. For now, I'm just paying it off little by little.
Reply 17
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Probably deal with it next year. For now, I'm just paying it off little by little.

As I mentioned above, Bank of Dad saved me.

Won't it gain interest though?
Original post by IAmNero
As I mentioned above, Bank of Dad saved me.

Won't it gain interest though?

Yes but I have a plan in place for a couple things. And for the rest, that can be sorted as I hope to find something better paying for my final gap year before uni.
nope debt is toxic

Quick Reply

Latest