The Student Room Group

2016 Edexcel Economics A: Paper 1 Intro To Markets And Market Failure (May 16th)

Hey, I self-studied my AS in Economics last year and got 100%.

Now have an offer to read economics at Cambridge and wanted to help other students who might need help with their AS (helps me too because I need to revise AS content because it repeats at A2).

I've been helping a lot of students out with the new spec, here are some resources I've made/found:

1. Mind maps with all definitions + evaluation points (attached).

2. Free online revision course (pretty much just used this to get 100%): www.uplearn.co.uk

3. Edexcel detailed syllabus (page 20 on):

http://qualifications.pearson.com/co..._Guide_new.pdf

4. I also compiled the past papers for Edexcel (before 2015) here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...W8&usp=sharing

I also have model answers to all the past paper questions.

Literally any questions and I'm happy to provide a detailed answer to assist :smile:

PS: Mods, please delete the other thread with same title in Exam Study Help - thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

hiya,

where and when will you make your model answers available?

many thanks
Reply 2
Original post by veebakkas
hiya,

where and when will you make your model answers available?

many thanks

Hey, so don't want to just give all of these out because students will just think they can memorise these answers... and that's not the case. Also, my model answers are written (not typed) so woud have to type them all up which would take at least 10 hours.

If you need help with a specific question, quote me with a pic of the question or PM with a pic of the question and I will give you a model response - but only if it's a question you're really struggling with :smile:
alright thanks then :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by thinkecon

Now have an offer to read economics at Cambridge and wanted to help other students who might need help with their AS (helps me too because I need to revise AS content because it repeats at A2).

I've been helping a lot of students out with the new spec, here are some resources I've made/found:

2. Free online revision course (pretty much just used this to get 100%): www.uplearn.co.uk

Literally any questions and I'm happy to provide a detailed answer to assist :smile:

PS: Mods, please delete the other thread with same title in Exam Study Help - thanks!

Does uplearn really work? And would it be suitable for someone who's never done a levels before? Also when is the maths modules going to be up on the site?
Reply 5
Original post by Axlerod
Does uplearn really work? And would it be suitable for someone who's never done a levels before? Also when is the maths modules going to be up on the site?

I have no idea lol, just used it for my Econ AS last year.

Not sure what you mean by "work"..? Like it goes through almost the whole course, quizzes you and provides live support from real teachers if you have any questions.

For maths I used examsolutions: http://www.examsolutions.net/

^really awesome resources
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
is this the official thread for Edexcel Economics A Paper/Theme 1 Intro To Markets And Market Failure? thx
Reply 7
Original post by guyr
is this the official thread for Edexcel Economics A Paper/Theme 1 Intro To Markets And Market Failure? thx

Haha, I'm not sure what you mean by "official" but I've posted up lots of great resources for Edexcel Economics A and very happy to answer any questions (as it helps me revise, too) - hope that's "official" enough lol :smile:

Hi, I was wondering if you could send me your model answers? Btw well done on doing so well
Reply 9
Original post by GCSEgirl13
Hi, I was wondering if you could send me your model answers? Btw well done on doing so well

Hey so they're handwritten and huge effort uploading. Instead, if you can just pick specific questions I can type out my answers - and more importantly show you how to use the frameworks from up learn that i used.
Any ideas for how I can grasp concepts easily through revision, I often find myself making too many notes and not absorbing anything.
Reply 11
Original post by Niyi Aderounmu
Any ideas for how I can grasp concepts easily through revision, I often find myself making too many notes and not absorbing anything.

I personally used Up Learn, put a link up top.

They teach you how to revise effectively based on education neuroscience and cognitive psychology - super useful.

One of the key things is that rereading notes is the worst way to revise because if your brain can see the information in front of it on a page, it has no reason to absorb that information as memory, so it's better to use more active learning techniques like answering questions and visceralisation.

Also, in the exam you won't have your notes. So you need to teach your brain to recall concepts from memory vs. blankly reading over them which is just very ineffective.
I personally used Up Learn, put a link up top.

They teach you how to revise effectively based on education neuroscience and cognitive psychology - super useful.

One of the key things is that rereading notes is the worst way to revise because if your brain can see the information in front of it on a page, it has no reason to absorb that information as memory, so it's better to use more active learning techniques like answering questions and visceralisation.

Also, in the exam you won't have your notes. So you need to teach your brain to recall concepts from memory vs. blankly reading over them which is just very ineffective.

I checked it but there's no link in the economic section. It says it's [Sold Out]
Reply 13
Original post by Niyi Aderounmu
I checked it but there's no link in the economic section. It says it's [Sold Out]

Fair enough, I'm sure if you asked them nicely they'd let you in :smile: they really helped me out a lot.

And I'm happy to answer any of your questions on here too! But regardless, you can still follow their advice: stop making long wasteful low impact notes, start testing yourself on the content with past papers and review mark schemes, start creating visceralisations of your definitions, and try to teach your friends/parents what you've learnt.
Reply 14

I can you predict what would come up on unit 1 and unit 2?
Reply 15
Original post by tt786786
I can you predict what would come up on unit 1 and unit 2?

Yes, it is literally the same thing every single time.

Unit 1: externalities or a possible effects. Use the externality or consumer/producer/government framework.

Unit 2: every time, conflicts between objectives and monetary/fiscal/supply-side policies comes up.

There has been no variation in 15 years.
Yes, it is literally the same thing every single time.

Unit 1: externalities or a possible effects. Use the externality or consumer/producer/government framework.

Unit 2: every time, conflicts between objectives and monetary/fiscal/supply-side policies comes up.

There has been no variation in 15 years.

it is a new specification. I don't think the previous specification has run for 15 years either. Unit 1 papers don't follow the same pattern, there are occasions where the questions have concentrated on government failure, case for/against of a specific event or policy and so on. I don't think you can predict questions, especially with a new specification.
Reply 17
Original post by keynes24
it is a new specification. I don't think the previous specification has run for 15 years either. Unit 1 papers don't follow the same pattern, there are occasions where the questions have concentrated on government failure, case for/against of a specific event or policy and so on. I don't think you can predict questions, especially with a new specification.

They've narrowed the new specification down substantially. For instance, buffer stock schemes have been moved to Theme 4.

For all of the question types you've mentioned, I have been able to use the same three frameworks to tackle them without fail going back to 2001 (although they become very obscure past 2006).

You can't literally predict the question's context, of course not, that was very brash of me (sorry) - but you can use mark-scheme-oriented set of frameworks to reduce each question (independent of context) to a very much "paint-by-numbers" process.

Happy to go through some examples with you, if you'd like. It applies to the new specification paper, although obviously I have no idea what May will have in store. They could well switch things up!
Hellooo! I tried using the uplearn page but when i get to the specification part I am not able to choose from any of the options as it says it is sold out. What does this mean?
Reply 19
Hi, you said you attached the mind maps etc, however, I am not quite sure how to find them!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending