The Student Room Group

Ivory Coast: 16 killed in beach resort attack

Al Qaeda-linked militants have claimed responsibility for the attack at Grand Bassam.
One Lebanese was killed and five others injured. The death toll is between 16-22 depending on news outlet.
This is the third attack on a West African hotel since last year :frown: May the souls of the dead rest in peace.

This is honestly so disgusting and sad :frown: How many more people will die in the hands of Islamic terrorists? How long will this reign of terror last? Europe isn't safe, Africa isn't safe, Asia isn't safe. :frown:

The whole world needs to work together in fighting ISIS. Once they're down all their cronies all over the world will take a hit too.

Articles:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-35797133

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-03-13/ivory-coast-beach-hotel-attack-said-to-leave-two-dead

@childofthesun I hope you are okay :frown:

Scroll to see replies

A bearded gunman approached two children and allegedly spoke in Arabic.

One child knelt and prayed but the other was shot dead.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/ivory-coast-attacks-child-shot-by-arabic-speaking-attacker-a6929286.html

The religion of peace (Tm) strikes again
Reply 2

Inb4 not real Muslims

Original post by Mathemagicien
I doubt it; recruits who would have gone to Islamic State would go to local terrorist organisations, and there would be thousands of fighters returning from Islamic State besides.

:frown:
I understand Cameroon has been experiencing this crap as well. Guess Cameroonians are at fault for all that oppression against Muslim lands and all that other BS people victim blame us for whenever these Islamist terrorists go on a murderous rampage.....

What the hell has Ivory Coast done to the Muslim World or Muslims at all for that matter? When will you numb nuts start to get it through your thick skulls that these Islamist terror groups have no excuse for their actions? They act out of their own supremacist ideology, not because of anything anyone else does.

Let's see you apologist pukes for the Paris attacks try to justify this.
Original post by KimKallstrom

What the hell has Ivory Coast done to the Muslim World or Muslims at all for that matter?

As if that has ever mattered. They have never sought an excuse, except their warped religious beliefs.
Original post by thunder_chunky
As if that has ever mattered. They have never sought an excuse, except their warped religious beliefs.

It is essentially a modern day form of imperialism. This is one of many attempts to try and forcefully coerce African people into accepting Wahhabi/Salafi influenced Islam. African governments need to take a stand against this and need to stop Saudi/Qatari money funding these groups and organisations to spread their toxic ideology.
Original post by The Epicurean
It is essentially a modern day form of imperialism. This is one of many attempts to try and forcefully coerce African people into accepting Wahhabi/Salafi influenced Islam. African governments need to take a stand against this and need to stop Saudi/Qatari money funding these groups and organisations to spread their toxic ideology.

In an ideal world they would resist. Mobilise their army to fight. However in a lot of countries like these, the army is poorly trained, underdeveloped, and I'll equipped. They are often poorly paid and have poor discipline too. This means that any fight back is ineffective. You get that in many countries, Somalia, Nigeria etc. Because of this, extremist groups have room to grow.
Then western countries are criticised for getting involved.
In an ideal world they would resist. Mobilise their army to fight. However in a lot of countries like these, the army is poorly trained, underdeveloped, and I'll equipped. They are often poorly paid and have poor discipline too. This means that any fight back is ineffective. You get that in many countries, Somalia, Nigeria etc. Because of this, extremist groups have room to grow.

I think one of the best actions many governments in Africa can undertake is to prevent foreign funding of mosques and schools etc.. specifically funding coming from Wahhabi and Salafi influenced organisations. They specifically need to undermine the influence of these radical groups and stem the flow of money supporting these groups which are inspiring individuals to take up arms and to undertake terrorist attacks.

Obviously it wont be an easy task, but it is one that needs to be done to prevent further spread of radical interpretations wreaking havoc in many African nations.
Reply 9

Honestly I think Nigeria has done better at fighting BH than anyone expected. All their strongholds aside from their HQ in the Sambisa forest has been taken back and just recently 72+ BH members surrendered due to starvation and said several more extremists are starving and considering surrender.

But still if the military was competent enough this problem would have been nipped in the bud 5 years ago.
Horrible :frown:
Original post by StrawbAri
Honestly I think Nigeria has done better at fighting BH than anyone expected. All their strongholds aside from their HQ in the Sambisa forest has been taken back and just recently 72+ BH members surrendered due to starvation and said several more extremists are starving and considering surrender.

But still if the military was competent enough this problem would have been nipped in the bud 5 years ago.

I was shocked when I heard how last year Boko Haram killed more people than ISIS. The sooner they are got rid of Boko Haram the better. Would hate to see Nigeria going down the same route as Syria.
My heart is absolutely broken. I couldn't believe it when I heard the news-my family and I have stayed in Grand Bassam so many times. It's hard to imagine what took place there. I am struggling to understand the motivation behind such an attack. The news are placing emphasis on the 5 expats that were killed,and are claiming it was an attack on France,but ignore the other 10 black Ivorians that were also cruelly murdered. I don't get it,I really don't.
Original post by childofthesun
My heart is absolutely broken. I couldn't believe it when I heard the news-my family and I have stayed in Grand Bassam so many times. It's hard to imagine what took place there. I am struggling to understand the motivation behind such an attack. The news are placing emphasis on the 5 expats that were killed,and are claiming it was an attack on France,but ignore the other 10 black Ivorians that were also cruelly murdered. I don't get it,I really don't.

It is often the case that whenever such attacks take place, each country puts emphasis on reporting its own citizens deaths. If people from other countries die in the attacks, it is more likely to make prominence in the news abroad. If no foreign people were killed, I imagine it would have received even less attention from international press.
Original post by The Epicurean
It is often the case that whenever such attacks take place, each country puts emphasis on reporting its own citizens deaths. If people from other countries die in the attacks, it is more likely to make prominence in the news abroad. If no foreign people were killed, I imagine it would have received even less attention from international press.

I understand that. What I'm frustrated at is seeing news articles make sweeping claims like "It is France that is being targeted", ignoring the fact that the majority of victims weren't in fact French. To me that's just incredibly disrespectful and insensitive.
I understand that. What I'm frustrated at is seeing news articles make sweeping claims like "It is France that is being targeted", ignoring the fact that the majority of victims weren't in fact French. To me that's just incredibly disrespectful and insensitive.

It's quite obvious that Western foreigners are in fact the primary targets in these common Islamist attacks on tourist resorts.
Original post by carlskep
It's quite obvious that Western foreigners are in fact the primary targets in these common Islamist attacks on tourist resorts.

Majority of people who are in Grand Bassam are native Ivorians. While the resort is also popular amongst westerners,they are the minority. Were the attackers colour blind when they shot at black Ivorians?
In some attacks like the Tunisian one, I agree it's clear to see that westerners were the primary target.
Majority of people who are in Grand Bassam are native Ivorians. While the resort is also popular amongst westerners,they are the minority. Were the attackers colour blind when they shot at black Ivorians?
In some attacks like the Tunisian one, I agree it's clear to see that westerners were the primary target.

Terrorists like AQ have shown zero care about 'collateral damage' when targeting others (even if they massacre fellow Muslims in the process). They have already pledged to target Western, and especially French, interests in Africa:

"Ivory Coast, the world’s biggest producer of cocoa, has been on high alert since November, when al-Qaeda-linked insurgents stormed into a luxury hotel in Mali and seized hostages. That assault left 22 people dead. The militants pledged to continue targeting French interests and carried out a similar raid in neighboring Burkina Faso in January that left 30 dead, many of them foreigners.

Sunday’s attack is the first by Islamist militants in Ivory Coast, the biggest economy in French-speaking Africa and a country with one of the largest populations of French citizens in the region."

“For the moment the violence has really focused on French-speaking countries with a proximity to Mali, which allows for an easier cross-border flow of small groups of fighters.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-03-13/ivory-coast-beach-hotel-attack-said-to-leave-two-dead
Were the attackers colour blind when they shot at black Ivorians?

No but they were not 'faith blind' as they didn't kill a Muslim child but did kill a non Muslim child
Original post by carlskep
Terrorists like AQ have shown zero care about 'collateral damage' when targeting others (even if they massacre fellow Muslims in the process). They have already pledged to target Western, and especially French, interests in Africa:

"Ivory Coast, the world’s biggest producer of cocoa, has been on high alert since November, when al-Qaeda-linked insurgents stormed into a luxury hotel in Mali and seized hostages. That assault left 22 people dead. The militants pledged to continue targeting French interests and carried out a similar raid in neighboring Burkina Faso in January that left 30 dead, many of them foreigners.

Sunday’s attack is the first by Islamist militants in Ivory Coast, the biggest economy in French-speaking Africa and a country with one of the largest populations of French citizens in the region."

“For the moment the violence has really focused on French-speaking countries with a proximity to Mali, which allows for an easier cross-border flow of small groups of fighters.”

You fail to see my point. It is too simplistic to claim that the horrific incident was an attack against France when only a minority of the victims were actually French. Black Ivorians were also deliberately targeted and shot-like another user pointed out, a little Ivorian boy was killed when he could not recite Quranic verses. It's not a simple black and white case where you can easily identify a single motive. My initial post wasn't even about this-I was expressing my frustration at how focus is only placed on the foreigners killed,and the Ivorians are ignored and their deaths overshadowed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending