The Student Room Group

Rejecting offer this year, reapply to better universities?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Squishy®
Yeah advice I can benefit from, not comments from people trying to be smart and funny.

No one has tried to be smart or funny!

You asked for advice. You sought people's opinions. You wanted to know if people thought that declining the offers you currently hold & reapplying next year was a good, sound decision.
My main goal on this thread was to get people's opinions on it and their experience.

But you've then got pretty shirty with people who have expressed the view that it is not a good, sound decision to be so cavalier with your current offers. That's not asking for advice; that's just wanting people to agree with you.

Learning to hear opinions we don't readily agree with & being able to take criticism with good grace is a valuable skill. And one worth acquiring before embarking on any degree, let alone medicine.
Reply 101
Original post by MsTabitha
No one has tried to be smart or funny!

You asked for advice. You sought people's opinions. You wanted to know if people thought that declining the offers you currently hold & reapplying next year was a good, sound decision.
But you've then got pretty shirty with people who have expressed the view that it is not a good, sound decision to be so cavalier with your current offers. That's not asking for advice; that's just wanting people to agree with you.

Learning to hear opinions we don't readily agree with & being able to take criticism with good grace is a valuable skill. And one worth acquiring before embarking on any degree, let alone medicine.

No it's not wanting people to agree with me. I happily listen to all advice if it's given in the correct manner however if it's given to me expressing stupid reasons and calling me arrogant, also by people who are offended by my proposal then I reject it because I don't want to hear what they have to say if they have any other reasons or motives than offering me advice in my best interest.
Your first paragraph is silly, I was clearly referring to you saying you aren't sure whether I'm suited for medicine, that is in fact irrelevant and I will never do anything with that information. It was clearly said to put me down and demotivate me and so; I deemed your opinion unnecessary and irrelevant.
Thanks for the tips on developing my skills however I'd rather not take any notice of what you say as I disagree with how you previously showed your character.
Reply 102
Squish this is my last message on this;

You are still persisting in this thread when everyone has pretty much reiterated the same points over and over.

The short answer is this:

"Sure you can do it, it's a risk and many people think it's unwise. Others have done it and succeeded but theirs no guarantee you will. If you truly think you'll be unhappy then you should do what you feel is right, but it could mean not being a doctor at all."

That's all the answers you have and all the answers you're going to have summarised into one point.

I have asked repeatedly what you wanted from this thread as the above answer is all you're going to get other than anecdotal references to someone's friend here and there, who once did something similar. So maybe now is the time to stop with this thread as continuing is to just covet drama?
Reply 103
Original post by Torel
Squish this is my last message on this;

You are still persisting in this thread when everyone has pretty much reiterated the same points over and over.

The short answer is this:

"Sure you can do it, it's a risk and many people think it's unwise. Others have done it and succeeded but theirs no guarantee you will. If you truly think you'll be unhappy then you should do what you feel is right, but it could mean not being a doctor at all."

That's all the answers you have and all the answers you're going to have summarised into one point.

I have asked repeatedly what you wanted from this thread as the above answer is all you're going to get other than anecdotal references to someone's friend here and there, who once did something similar. So maybe now is the time to stop with this thread as continuing is to just covet drama?

Why do u feel u have responsibility for this thread? Mind your own business if you don't like what's on this thread. I can carry on discussing if I wish to.
Why do u feel u have responsibility for this thread? Mind your own business if you don't like what's on this thread. I can carry on discussing if I wish to.

Squishy, torel is just trying to help you out :frown:
anyway, I think you've decided to reapply, good luck!!!where are you gonna apply? It's probably best to apply to a mixture of bmat and ukcat universities because you do the bmat after you apply so apply to at least one ukcat medical school in case anything goes wrong with the bmat

If you are so keen on Imperial and the other London unis, why didn't you apply to them the first time round? Eg, Imperial, UCL, King's, and Barts, instead of UCL, the mysterious opera choice, and the other two 'crap' unis. You don't seem to have thought this through in very much detail when applying initially.

Wait until you have heard back from all of your offers. If you manage 3/4, then perhaps it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibilities to get somewhere better next year. But if you make it to May and only have one offer, for the love of God take it.
Reply 106
Original post by prospectivemed56
If you are so keen on Imperial and the other London unis, why didn't you apply to them the first time round? Eg, Imperial, UCL, King's, and Barts, instead of UCL, the mysterious opera choice, and the other two 'crap' unis. You don't seem to have thought this through in very much detail when applying initially.

Wait until you have heard back from all of your offers. If you manage 3/4, then perhaps it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibilities to get somewhere better next year. But if you make it to May and only have one offer, for the love of God take it.

I've got 3 now
Have you been to open days and checked out the universities? e.g. UCL/Imperial..
I would concentrate on exams for now and try get the best possible grades and then make a decision BASED on talking to students, visiting open days, researching the course.
If it's medicine you're hoping to study then honestly, it doesn't matter where you get a degree from you're not going to be jobless at all so I would focus on what the university you are considering can do to benefit you.. maybe pros and cons for each uni of interest :]

Best of luck
I've got 3 now

You have three offers or three replies?
Whats the point of this thread if you hadnt had all your replies back?
Reply 109
Original post by 999tigger
You have three offers or three replies?
Whats the point of this thread if you hadnt had all your replies back?

It still applies to all my unis
So you have three offers of medical schools and you are disappointed with all three or you have heard back from three and got one offer? Consiering I was in support of your option to choose whether to reapply or not, then if you have three offers and none of them are good enough, why apply to them?
So you have three offers of medical schools and you are disappointed with all three or you have heard back from three and got one offer? Consiering I was in support of your option to choose whether to reapply or not, then if you have three offers and none of them are good enough, why apply to them?

why would you take a gap year if you have THREE offers from medical schools??
I'd be overwhelmed with just one lmao...
Original post by Junioh
why would you take a gap year if you have THREE offers from medical schools??
I'd be overwhelmed with just one lmao...

We dont know whether he has, he is being vague. it may just be three replies. i was really of the understanding from the OP that he has one offer, which he doesnt want and that was it. now we find his story is changing.
idk... either way, we wish you the best squishy :<
Reply 114
I wrote it but deleted coz
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 115
We dont know whether he has, he is being vague. it may just be three replies. i was really of the understanding from the OP that he has one offer, which he doesnt want and that was it. now we find his story is changing.

its not really relevant how many offers I got because all I wanted really was people's second hand experience or first hand that's all but somehow people turned this right around and started getting offended. My story isn't changing because all I asked for was experience and my story of three offer or one offers doesn't change anything.
(edited 8 years ago)
its not really relevant how many offers I got because all I wanted really was people's second hand experience or first hand that's all but somehow people turned this right around and started getting offended. My story isn't changing because all I asked for was experience and my story of three offer or one offers doesn't change anything.

It does really, because getting three offers rather than one potentially means you're more likely to be successful next year, but it also calls into question your judgement over applying for three universities you don't want to go to, and also your comments about opera/the social nature of one particular university become a little odd.
Anyway, go with your gut, which if this thread is anything to go by means reapply to London only next year.
Reply 117
Original post by MMS2015
It does really, because getting three offers rather than one potentially means you're more likely to be successful next year, but it also calls into question your judgement over applying for three universities you don't want to go to, and also your comments about opera/the social nature of one particular university become a little odd.
Anyway, go with your gut, which if this thread is anything to go by means reapply to London only next year.

Yeah that was really targeted at one specific uni

Its a material fact. You didnt disclose the fact you had 3 offers , but pretended you had one. Its a change to the situation.
Reply 119
Its a material fact. You didnt disclose the fact you had 3 offers , but pretended you had one. Its a change to the situation.

No it isnt the situation is the same as I feel the same for all of them. I was thinking possibly could make more informed decisions the second time round

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending