The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

Psychology in Essex?

Hi..

I'd would like to know how's the experience as a psychology student in Essex? The teaching quality, environment, etc? Overall, how is it?
Hi Shely, unfortunately I can't comment for psychology specifically. But I'm currently in my third year of my biomedical science degree and I really like the university. The environment is quite close knit as we are a campus university - so you begin to settle into the university really quickly. My favorite thing about this university over others is the friendly atmosphere on campus and there are plenty of opportunities to get involved in like sports, societies and work. Do you have any specific questions that you would like me to answer?
^Shannon
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by shannon.rose
Hi Shely, unfortunately I can't comment for psychology specifically. But I'm currently in my third year of my biomedical science degree and I really like the university. The environment is quite close knit as we are a campus university - so you begin to settle into the university really quickly. My favorite thing about this university over others is the friendly atmosphere on campus and there are plenty of opportunities to get involved in like sports, societies and work. Do you have any specific questions that you would like me to answer?
^Shannon

Thank you very much for your response. That's really good! Were you living on campus in your first year? And how's the staff, teachers, .. ?
Original post by Shely
Hi..

I'd would like to know how's the experience as a psychology student in Essex? The teaching quality, environment, etc? Overall, how is it?

Hello,
I am a second year Psychology student at the University of Essex and really love it. The teaching quality is very high. The lecturers are all researchers in the field they lecture in and are really helpful if you need extra advice going through a topic after a lecture. Colchester campus has 2 lakes and is in Wivenhoe Park which is a really beautiful park. I really like the environment, you have all you could want in terms of computer labs, cafes, restaurants and then you take a walk for a few minutes and you are next to the lakes.
Overall I would really recommend it, let me know if you have any more questions.

Natalie.
Reply 4
Original post by Natalie.1
Hello,
I am a second year Psychology student at the University of Essex and really love it. The teaching quality is very high. The lecturers are all researchers in the field they lecture in and are really helpful if you need extra advice going through a topic after a lecture. Colchester campus has 2 lakes and is in Wivenhoe Park which is a really beautiful park. I really like the environment, you have all you could want in terms of computer labs, cafes, restaurants and then you take a walk for a few minutes and you are next to the lakes.
Overall I would really recommend it, let me know if you have any more questions.

Natalie.

Thank you for your reply! I'm very excited because I just hear good feedbacks about the uni :smile:
Original post by Shely
Thank you very much for your response. That's really good! Were you living on campus in your first year? And how's the staff, teachers, .. ?

Hey :smile: yeah I lived in the south courts in my first year (my favourite accommodation - ensuite 5 min walk from central campus) and now live in the meadows (also ensuite but 10 min walk). I really get on with the staff in my department, some of which I will definately be keeping in contact with after I graduate. I have found them to be super helpful with the course as well as great to talk to when I've had problems. Let me know if you have any other questions :smile:
Reply 6
Hello,

Natalie.

How hard would you say Psychology is? How do you make notes? How different is the degree to A level?
Reply 7
Hello,

Natalie.

Hie!! I am going into my second year, and I have a holiday booked in December which means I would me missing the last week of uni. So I was wondering if we still do tests at the end of each term, the ones that count towards our coursework or not. And any advice you could give me heading into my second year? Thanx in advance xxx
Reply 8
Hie!! I am going into my second year, and I have a holiday booked in December which means I would me missing the last week of uni. So I was wondering if we still do tests at the end of each term, the ones that count towards our coursework or not. And any advice you could give me heading into my second year?
Thanx in advance xxx
Original post by Chipo96
Hie!! I am going into my second year, and I have a holiday booked in December which means I would me missing the last week of uni. So I was wondering if we still do tests at the end of each term, the ones that count towards our coursework or not. And any advice you could give me heading into my second year?
Thanx in advance xxx

Hello,
I am just about to go into my third year of studying Psychology at the University of Essex.
In my second year I didn't have a test in the last week of term, mine was the beginning of the term in January. However, tests do change every year so I would recommend asking the undergraduate enquiries by emailing them
The advice I would give you would be to do all the recommended reading as that really helps you remember what you are being taught. Try and revise in advance for the exams as during the summer exams period I had 8 exams in 3 weeks but I believe they may have spread these out for your year (meaning you will have half in January and half in the summer). Also, try to start coursework, especially lab reports, as soon as they are set otherwise you can end up with quite a few you are working on at once. I also found the more reading I did for lab reports the higher grade I got because I had a more in depth knowledge of the area.

I hope that helps, feel free to ask anything else!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending