The Student Room Group

LSE Islamic Society Holds Gender Segregated Dinner.

London School of Economics Islamic Society holds annual gender segregated dinner.

"Muslim students from the London School of Economics had to buy separate tickets to the society's annual dinner depending on whether they were a 'brother' or a 'sister'. There was a large screen separating the men's tables from the women's ones, stopping the attendees from even looking at each other. "

'It's been going on for quite a while,' one LSE undergraduate said. 'I don't think it's ever been brought to the university's attention."

Should this be allowed?

Scroll to see replies

'This dinner was a private function, off-campus and organised by a society of the Students' Union, which itself is a legally separate body to LSE.'
^ .
As the segregation was voluntary and the people who went to the dinner wanted the segregation, then there's not really an issue here.
I have no problem with them doing it in a Muslim country.

A Western country? Hell no. Pretty sure the British don't want people from the Middle ages in their universities.
As much as I think it is backwards and archaic, there is nothing illegal about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ScarletXxXRose
'This dinner was a private function, off-campus and organised by a society of the Students' Union, which itself is a legally separate body to LSE.'
^ .
As the segregation was voluntary and the people who went to the dinner wanted the segregation, then there's not really an issue here.

'Voluntary' yet they didn't really have a choice. If you wanted to attend the Islamic society's annual dinner, then you HAD to accept that gender segregation was a part of it. For example, as stated in the article:

"Other students have spoken out against the segregation - saying it has 'intimidated' some Muslims who want to celebrate their faith without the strict gender divide."
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I have no problem with them doing it in a Muslim country.

A Western country? Hell no. Pretty sure the British don't want people from the Middle ages in their universities.

Its not a public event though.
muslim men and women are segregated in islamic events..

personally as a muslim i think its crap (hence i don't attend any islamic events), but mainly because as a man, i'm only interested in meeting women and not other mandem, but it's part of the religion so to each their own.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BristolFresher15
Its not a public event though.

It's happening at a university where there are going to be other people though. It's events like these which make universities a haven for people who plan to radicalise.
'Nona Buckley-Irvine, the head of LSE's student union and a self-professed feminist, attended the dinner and insisted that the atmosphere was 'comfortable and relaxed' despite the gender divide.'

says it all really
It's happening at a university where there are going to be other people though. It's events like these which make universities a haven for people who plan to radicalise.

These 'other people' are not going to be attending the event. Although I very much disagree with the concept of segregation and most of the aspects of Islam, prohibiting such acts that are privately controlled and voluntary will avail no results, or even spark harmful protesting.

Practicing Muslims should be gradually taught to integrate out of archaic beliefs in Western societies. Doing anything more forward and/or aggressive will only spark outrage and violence, considering past events and experience.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by NickLCFC
'Voluntary' yet they didn't really have a choice. If you wanted to attend the Islamic society's annual dinner, then you HAD to accept that gender segregation was a part of it. For example, as stated in the article:

"Other students have spoken out against the segregation - saying it has 'intimidated' some Muslims who want to celebrate their faith without the strict gender divide."

But if it was the other way round i.e there was no gender divide
then I'm pretty sure there would also be students who feel 'intimidated' about attending the event, as they wouldn't feel comfortable
Original post by BristolFresher15
These 'other people' are not going to be attending the event. Although I very much disagree with the concept of segregation and most of the aspects of Islam, prohibiting such acts that are privately controlled and voluntary will avail no results, or even spark harmful protesting.

Practicing Muslims should be gradually taught to integrate out of archaic beliefs in Western societies. Doing anything more forward and/or aggressive will only spark outrage and violence, considering past events and experience.

So holding a dinner where both genders are together is classed as forward and aggressive?
Original post by ScarletXxXRose
But if it was the other way round i.e there was no gender divide
then I'm pretty sure there would also be students who feel 'intimidated' about attending the event, as they wouldn't feel comfortable

Honestly, if they don't feel comfortable attending an event that isn't gender segregated, then they certainty shouldn't be living in the UK. I hear Saudi Arabia is nice though!
(edited 8 years ago)
Outrageous. What next? Gender-segregated education? Clubs that only admit men? Oh wait, we do such things already.
It's their society so let them do what they want. It doesn't directly affect any of you, does it?
All these drama queens in this thread trying to curb individual freedom :noway:

If you wish to hold a private, non complusory event, you're allowed to do anything you want within the law.
You lot preach about it being backwards, then try and control other people while they're acting within the law.
So holding a dinner where both genders are together is classed as forward and aggressive?

No, banning any private practice of religious belief that does not directly affect outside society is forward and aggressive.
Original post by Legendary Quest
It's their society so let them do what they want. It doesn't directly affect any of you, does it?

Terrible argument, child abuse doesn't directly affect me either.
Original post by BhagwanNoBhool
Terrible argument, child abuse doesn't directly affect me either.

Is child abuse against the law? Yes. Try again.
Hey op did you know toilets are gender segregated too? Too bad there is nothing Islamic about it to warrant your undivided attention!

Latest

Trending

Trending