The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It doesn't make sense to believe in something that there is no evidence to suggest the reality of it

Posted from TSR Mobile
The more we learn about the world around us, the less and less God seems to have any involvement.

No, he doesn't feed the birds of the air nor does he make Lilies look beautiful. We know how these things happen now.

We keep opening doors and God has yet to be behind one of them. There are a finite number of doors I'm afraid, and the ones we open also reveal information about the ones that are still closed to us for the moment.

The result is therefore a probability, just as there is a probability assigned to everything, and it's that it's extremely unlikely that God exists.
For roughly the same reasons why people used to believe in God. Environmental influence.

Right now, in the UK, it's considered unintellectual to be a theist and believe in God. We're heavily social creatures and we don't want to feel excluded and stigmatised. So most people will accept atheism without caring too much about it. It's a just a comfortable position to uphold at the moment.

Lol@people who think most atheists (or anyone else for that matter) have spent a lot of time thinking about or debating or reading about atheism and theism.

Short answer: they don't care about metaphysical things, it won't affect their pockets or win them friends and right now, atheism's a comfortable position to uphold.
Original post by Sisuphos
For roughly the same reasons why people used to believe in God. Environmental influence.

Right now, in the UK, it's considered unintellectual to be a theist and believe in God. We're heavily social creatures and we don't want to feel excluded and stigmatised. So most people will accept atheism without caring too much about it. It's a just a comfortable position to uphold at the moment.

Lol@people who think most atheists (or anyone else for that matter) have spent a lot of time thinking about or debating or reading about atheism and theism.

Short answer: they don't care about metaphysical things, it won't affect their pockets or win them friends and right now, atheism's a comfortable position to uphold.

I actually think that is quite incorrect.

I feel rather unfashionable as an atheist. In fact theist often try to make me feel stupid, immoral, excluded, frightened. These are the really pleasant tactics I've had used on me recently.

I come from being a Christian and like most atheists I know have put in plenty of thought. I took a whole A level in philosophy and will be doing a degree in physics; I think that counts as a fair amount of time.

I cannot care about metaphysical things because they don't exist.
Original post by john_jomcy98

One good example which may explain this is: imagine a son/daugther standing before court over the case of murder (or any other crime your can think of :P). The judge happens to be the father of this criminal. Surely the father loves the child dearly, but he is a judge so must exercise his duty and declare the punishment that is fitting to the crime. No matter how loving, or caring the father is, he is a judge and cannot give a special treatment for his children. The law is set by God and those who break it, deserve the punishment given by God himself (of course, you can be redeemed... but thatt's a whole another story :P)

But he's God and makes the rules? He knows what is going to happen because he wrote the script! What you are saying is God has chosen to make an example of certain individuals and they have no choice in their destiny. What kind of justice is that?

God can change whatever he likes, whenever he likes. So no, I don't buy this God must exercise his duty crap and cannot make exceptions for his children. If you believe in the Abrahamic deity, everyone on Earth is God's child.
Reply 245
Original post by OrangeZebra
Because in 11 years of believing I never felt him and he **** on me

Maybe because that was your test in this life
Original post by uberteknik
But he's God and makes the rules? He knows what is going to happen because he wrote the script! What you are saying is God has chosen to make an example of certain individuals and they have no choice in their destiny. What kind of justice is that?

God can change whatever he likes, whenever he likes. So no, I don't buy this God must exercise his duty crap and cannot make exceptions for his children. If you believe in the Abrahamic deity, everyone on Earth is God's child.

With your initial question, yes God is said to be 'omnipotent', 'everlasting', knows 'beginning till end', but he chooses to live in the present time, like us, and chooses not to look into the future. How is that possible? I simply don't know :P.
It's complicated, and yes that's really frustrating but we are trying to comprehend this supernatural deity with our human minds. No one can understand God and his 'ways' not even a very devote Christian or a religious leader, who has read the Bible million times. Also according to the Abrahamic deity everyone one earth is God's 'people' but NOT child; the bible explains that. (Those who are called the children are those who are 'born again', which simply means those who choose not only to believe but mainly live by his will....I know it does sound really old fashioned/cheesy..but hey, what can I do :P)

We can have an argument for endless threads and all we'll go is waste our time, without either one of us giving any way. All I'm trying to achieve is, that people shouldn't adamantly say 'there is no god', but must accept the idea there could be one, and we as humans are not yet intellectually capable to grasp the realities of God.I know how you feel, because I've had so many questions like yourself and constantly questioned the reality of God. It's tremendously frustrating to just being told there is a God and believe without any concrete evidence. I don't have all the answers, and I'll never will. But personally I feel more comfortable living my life believing that there is a God and there is a 'heaven' after death; it gives a comforting reason to life, then to simply believe the ultimate purpose is to procreate and pass on my genetic information to the next generation (bit of A2 biology hehe..)
Reply 247
Original post by leavingthecity
The more we learn about the world around us, the less and less God seems to have any involvement.

No, he doesn't feed the birds of the air nor does he make Lilies look beautiful. We know how these things happen now.

We keep opening doors and God has yet to be behind one of them. There are a finite number of doors I'm afraid, and the ones we open also reveal information about the ones that are still closed to us for the moment.

The result is therefore a probability, just as there is a probability assigned to everything, and it's that it's extremely unlikely that God exists.

You know how you quote 'he doesn't feed the birds'?? Really?
Who gave us life? Who gave us the ability to see, touch, hear, who gave us the ability to even think?
Reply 248
Original post by Andy98
It doesn't make sense to believe in something that there is no evidence to suggest the reality of it

Posted from TSR Mobile

With this you could say there's no evidence of our feelings but we all say they are still there
For example, feeling scared, feeling loved what's the evidence for this, but we all know it's still there?
How would you explain this?
Original post by Tahira__
With this you could say there's no evidence of our feelings but we all say they are still there
For example, feeling scared, feeling loved what's the evidence for this, but we all know it's still there?

A series of stimuli affecting our brain chemistry to give the illusion of those feelings - fear is just an instinct.
Who gave us life? Who gave us the ability to see, touch, hear, who gave us the ability to even think?

Are you familiar with the theory of evolution? :holmes:

I can only guess that you've been raised in a very intellectually-stunting environment for you to come here and ask these things as though they've never been asked or answered.
Reply 251
Original post by popcornjpg
I am not poor, I do not live in a third world country, and I have a bright future; so why would I believe in God if this life is fulfilling? There is a strong correlation between poverty and religion. For example, Somalia is one of the most religious countries in the world but also one of the poorest. I believe that, ultimately, most people believe in God because of the possibility of the afterlife, and with it, a better life than the one they are living currently.

Beside that, the existence of a God raises so many complicated questions. Most notably, why must there be a God? The Earth is like an atom when compared to the size of the universe, so what makes us special to have a God of sorts? And I also don't understand the comfort that accompanies the afterlife. Living eternally, whether it be in heaven or hell, would eventually become torture. I reckon that, once we die, we just cease to exist and that is in a way more comforting. We all have the experience of what if feels to be dead anyway since we were all born at some point, and that wasn't so bad was it.

So what you believe that the only reason you were brought into this life is to what? Earn money a living, live and die, and leave everything you own which would just end up being someone else's property?
Reply 252
Original post by Andy98
A series of stimuli affecting our brain chemistry to give the illusion of those feelings - fear is just an instinct.

I think you are forgetting the main thing I am trying to say
Who made you feel like this? it would have to come out from somewhere?
Just want people serious answers I am just curious
Why do atheists not believe in God? What do they then believe in?

Because they are atheists (doh)!
Reply 254
Original post by Hydeman
Are you familiar with the theory of evolution? :holmes:

I can only guess that you've been raised in a very intellectually-stunting environment for you to come here and ask these things as though they've never been asked or answered.

Of course I have
So you believe that we were once monkeys, as that's what it basically goes on about?

@Hydeman had answered this. He is asking you if you have ever investigated how these things might happen according to science. Because there are a lot of answers out there for you....
So what you believe that the only reason you were brought into this life is to what? Earn money a living, live and die, and leave everything you own which would just end up being someone else's property?

Pretty much. But also experience the world, make friends, have children, love, and more. That's a great opportunity if you ask me. The existence of God doesn't add very much to the experience except limit people with silly rules and prohibitions that only restricts your life - and before you say that there are a lot of good rules and practices that come from religion, let me remind you that people tend to only strictly follow the most pointless ones.

Hormones, quite literally.
I think you are forgetting the main thing I am trying to say
Who made you feel like this? it would have to come out from somewhere?

From the brain? Lol. I don't understand why so many people think emotions don't come from the brain but rather the heart or soul or some other silly thing. The soul is the brain. The brain is everything - memories, feelings, emotions, fears, love.
Of course I have
So you believe that we were once monkeys, as that's what it basically goes on about?

Not exactly. We are apes. We share a common ancestor with other apes -- or 'monkeys', as you describe them.

I really do think you should read up on it a bit more. The terminology that you think 'basically' describes evolution is worryingly sloppy/layman.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending