The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TaintedLight
Hey op did you know toilets are gender segregated too? Too bad there is nothing Islamic about it to warrant your undivided attention!

Personally, I don't consider the two things to be similar.
Who cares?

If it was a public event I'd have a problem but its a private function that they chose to attend.
Original post by Quantex
Outrageous. What next? Gender-segregated education? Clubs that only admit men? Oh wait, we do such things already.

Segregation for social events is slightly different in my opinion.
Op should mind his own busines.
Reply 24
Original post by Quantex
Outrageous. What next? Gender-segregated education? Clubs that only admit men? Oh wait, we do such things already.

Prsom
Original post by NickLCFC
Segregation for social events is slightly different in my opinion.

You're right, one takes place over many years, one is a single night out. This is more comparable to a stag do or a hen party than say a school which has a blanket ban on any kid with XX chromosomes.

With the exception of left wingers and feminists, we are happy to accept gender segregation or even total gender exclusion why it concerns our own culture, but if it involves Islam people get mad. Which isn't to see I agree with a segregated social function, but the cognitive dissonance needs to be pointed out.
Original post by NickLCFC
London School of Economics Islamic Society holds annual gender segregated dinner.

"Muslim students from the London School of Economics had to buy separate tickets to the society's annual dinner depending on whether they were a 'brother' or a 'sister'. There was a large screen separating the men's tables from the women's ones, stopping the attendees from even looking at each other. "

'It's been going on for quite a while,' one LSE undergraduate said. 'I don't think it's ever been brought to the university's attention."

Should this be allowed?

SO WHAT!!
Why the hell does that even concern you?? Like seriously, it's an Islamic society incase if you didn't notice that !!
It's their society so deal with it!
You're making a fuss about nothing as usual! :facepalm:
Of course it should be allowed. Get over it.
Whats the problem here?

Are you saying that cheeky nandos with the lads is bad.
Muslims these days tend to be quite proactive in terms of their interaction with the opposite sex (forbidden by their religion but they like to gloss over that). So what exactly are they trying to prove? :s-smilie:

I should also say that, in all my time at LSE, I'd never heard of anything as bizarre as this :lol:
Social regression is free gender social mixing and flirting at nightclubs and bars leading to sinful activities such as adultery or fornication. Islam rejects such notions hence why gender segregation is a necessity and keeps both sides modest and away from the lure of Satan's plans to influence you in committing said sins. As evidenced by the high divorce rates, teenage pregnancies and STD rates in "non-regressive" Britain.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I have no problem with them doing it in a Muslim country.

A Western country? Hell no. Pretty sure the British don't want people from the Middle ages in their universities.

lols, the irony of your response actually being anti-western itself.

One of the key principles of Western thought is free speech & action as long as it doesnt cause harm to others.

If these people choose to have segregated dinners then that's their choice, and as long as it doesnt cause harm to others - which it doesnt - then why should anyone else care.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SuperHuman98
Whats the problem here?

Are you saying that cheeky nandos with the lads is bad.

Hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Quantex
You're right, one takes place over many years, one is a single night out. This is more comparable to a stag do or a hen party than say a school which has a blanket ban on any kid with XX chromosomes.

With the exception of left wingers and feminists, we are happy to accept gender segregation or even total gender exclusion why it concerns our own culture, but if it involves Islam people get mad. Which isn't to see I agree with a segregated social function, but the cognitive dissonance needs to be pointed out.

I don't necessarily agree with gender segregation in education but I can somewhat see why it is used. There is believed to be differences in the way males and females learn and behave in educational settings and there have even been studies to show that the segregation actually produces improved results.

As for segregated clubs; I don't really know what you mean by that but let's take a sports club for example. Does it not make sense to segregate males and females due to their differences in physical ability?

My point is that segregation in a social setting doesn't make any sense to me from a non-religious point of view and that's why I see it to be different. Not just because it involves Islam. Any religion could practice it and I still wouldn't see a justification for it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I have no problem with them doing it in a Muslim country.

A Western country? Hell no. Pretty sure the British don't want people from the Middle ages in their universities.

The hypocrisy is unreal.
Original post by ScarletXxXRose
But if it was the other way round i.e there was no gender divide
then I'm pretty sure there would also be students who feel 'intimidated' about attending the event, as they wouldn't feel comfortable

Original post by digistar_100
Social regression is free gender social mixing and flirting at nightclubs and bars leading to sinful activities such as adultery or fornication. Islam rejects such notions hence why gender segregation is a necessity and keeps both sides modest and away from the lure of Satan's plans to influence you in committing said sins. As evidenced by the high divorce rates, teenage pregnancies and STD rates in "non-regressive" Britain.

You remind me of the Catholic Church. You should worry about cleaning up your own house before preaching to the rest of us.

Btw I posted previously in favour of their right to run a private event how they like.
Original post by FluffyCherry
SO WHAT!!
Why the hell does that even concern you?? Like seriously, it's an Islamic society incase if you didn't notice that !!
It's their society so deal with it!
You're making a fuss about nothing as usual! :facepalm:

It's meant to be an Islamic society, but its seems the more 'moderate' Muslims weren't considered when they decided to segregate by gender.

"Other students have spoken out against the segregation - saying it has 'intimidated' some Muslims who want to celebrate their faith without the strict gender divide."
Original post by JamesN88
You remind me of the Catholic Church. You should worry about cleaning up your own house before preaching to the rest of us.

Btw I posted previously in favour of their right to run a private event how they like.

Just posting a reason on why there is social segregation in Islaam as lots of people in here attacking it as "middle ages" and "regressive".

This is a non issue anyway, yet this thread was created by a non-Muslim so there goes your irony down the drain.
Original post by digistar_100

Brought to you by 1800.

Latest

Trending

Trending