The Student Room Group

Fed up

Hi,
I don't usually post on here but I just wanted to know if anyone else had been in a similar situation.
I've been learning to drive for nearly 12 months. My driving instructor today basically told me I should consider that I'm not going to ever pass my test. She said I need more time in the car (she can only fit me in 1 hour a week). She suggested buying my own car and having someone take me out in it (which I cannot afford). She's just totally knocked my confidence and I feel like giving up now.
Anyone else been in a similar situation or took ages to pass their test?
Original post by Fugaziwoo
Hi,
I don't usually post on here but I just wanted to know if anyone else had been in a similar situation.
I've been learning to drive for nearly 12 months. My driving instructor today basically told me I should consider that I'm not going to ever pass my test. She said I need more time in the car (she can only fit me in 1 hour a week). She suggested buying my own car and having someone take me out in it (which I cannot afford). She's just totally knocked my confidence and I feel like giving up now.

There's people that fail their test a lot of times.. Don't fret.. Maybe you need lessons more often than once a week.
Original post by Fugaziwoo
Hi,

Firstly, she should be boosting your confidence and helping you to pass. If she cannot do more than an hours lesson a week, it might be best to move to a different instructor. When I started I felt like I wasn't progressing, but in now a month away from my test. Good luck!
Truthfully, i am surprised you have put up with for 12 months with this sort of poor attitude. That means you have spent 52 hours in her car. If you are not test ready after 52 hours, there is one person to blame and it isn't you. Shop around for a new instructor, this one is knocking your confidence which is a red flag for me. I have been there so i can sympathise with how soul destroying it feels to have someone mess you around. I had 40+ hours with an instructor and she told me i was not test ready after having said the previous few weeks that i was and this was a consistent routine every time she told me to book my test for months! Naturally i was devastated and then i lost my **** and told her that if i'm not test ready at this point then her teaching methods were not good enough and obviously a waste of my time and money. You don't pay someone to jack you around, so if you are such a bad driver (doubtful) then it's a reflection of her poor work. Brutal but true. I moved on to my 5th instructor and i have made so much more progress in 2 lessons (4 hours) than i felt i had in months.

You can also have an instructor give you an assessment and they can tell you what you need to work on. My current instructor gave me an assessment and gave me feedback which was great for my confidence and sanity.

I also advise to avoid blook booking initially as you may block book and find you don't gel with your new instructor. It is your money paying for a service so don't be afraid to be picky about who your hire.

Another option for getting more practise outside of lessons is to go out with someone (must be over 21 and have had a license for 3 years) with a hired dual control car (£9 an hour).

Best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending