The Student Room Group

Unit 4- Factoring Polynomials

How do you factor: 2x^2n + 7x^n 15 ? :frown:

I'm confused because I've never worked it out when the equation has powers (^2n...) :/

Thanks!!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey Rosa

You know how you factorise 2x2 + 7x - 15? You can literally do the same thing, and at the end just replace your xs with xns
Reply 2
Original post by Student403
Hey Rosa

You know how you factorise 2x2 + 7x - 15? You can literally do the same thing, and at the end just replace your xs with xns

Okay, I've got it :smile: Pretty simple, now that I understand :biggrin:
Thank you!
Original post by RosaA
Okay, I've got it :smile: Pretty simple, now that I understand :biggrin:
Thank you!

My pleasure and thanks for the tag :biggrin:

I hope you understand the reason why btw!

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by RosaA

I'm confused because I've never worked it out when the equation has powers (^2n...) :/

Thanks!!!

In addition to 403's excellent answer: This is called a disguised quadratic (in this case, it's a quadratic in xnx^n). What this fancy shmoozy wording means is that if you make a substitution (I always make this explicit substitution when working out problems like this) u=xnu=x^n then you have a quadratic in uu or a quadratic in xnx^n written as 2u2+7u15=02u^2 + 7u - 15= 0 .

I'd make the substitution, re-write everything in terms of uu and then do my cool quadratic work with awesome quadratic skillz and then convert everything back to xx by back-substitution u=xnu=x^n.
Reply 5
Oh, and moved to maths.
Reply 6
Original post by RosaA

Thanks!!!

I'll show you an example - suppose the case where n = 2, and we have the equation 2x4+7x215=0\displaystyle 2x^{4}+7x^{2}-15 = 0.

Now, we can factorise this the regular way (i.e. the way we do quadratic equations as 403 mentioned)

2x4+10x23x215=0\displaystyle 2x^{4}+ 10x^{2} - 3x^{2} -15= 0

(2x23)(x2+5)=0\displaystyle \left ( 2x^{2}-3 \right )\left ( x^{2} +5 \right ) = 0

Now, it seems that we have two equations from which we can obtain factors:

(2x23)(x2+5)=02x23=0 or x2+5=0\displaystyle \left ( 2x^{2}-3 \right )\left ( x^{2} +5 \right ) = 0 \Longleftrightarrow 2x^{2}-3 = 0 \ \text{or} \ x^{2} +5 = 0

We can now evaluate these two equations to obtain our roots, so with the first one,

x2=32x=±(32)\displaystyle x^{2} = \frac{3}{2} \Longleftrightarrow x=\pm \sqrt{\left ( \frac{3}{2} \right )}, as taking a square root gives us two solutions.

However, for the second equation, note that it leads to x2=5\displaystyle x^{2} = -5 and at GCSE level, you can't take the square root of negative numbers so we have to eliminate this solution x25\displaystyle \Rightarrow x^{2} \neq -5.

We only have two solutions in this case: x=±(32)\displaystyle \therefore x=\pm \sqrt{\left ( \frac{3}{2} \right )}

I hope this example helped!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
In addition to 403's excellent answer: This is called a disguised quadratic (in this case, it's a quadratic in xnx^n). What this fancy shmoozy wording means is that if you make a substitution (I always make this explicit substitution when working out problems like this) u=xnu=x^n then you have a quadratic in uu or a quadratic in xnx^n written as 2u2+7u15=02u^2 + 7u - 15= 0 .

I'd make the substitution, re-write everything in terms of uu and then do my cool quadratic work with awesome quadratic skillz and then convert everything back to xx by back-substitution u=xnu=x^n.

PRSOM
Reply 8
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
I'll show you an example - suppose the case where n = 2, and we have the equation 2x4+7x215=0\displaystyle 2x^{4}+7x^{2}-15 = 0.

Now, we can factorise this the regular way (i.e. the way we do quadratic equations as 403 mentioned)

2x4+10x23x215=0\displaystyle 2x^{4}+ 10x^{2} - 3x^{2} -15= 0

(2x23)(x2+5)=0\displaystyle \left ( 2x^{2}-3 \right )\left ( x^{2} +5 \right ) = 0

Now, it seems that we have two equations from which we can obtain factors:

(2x23)(x2+5)=02x23=0 or x2+5=0\displaystyle \left ( 2x^{2}-3 \right )\left ( x^{2} +5 \right ) = 0 \Longleftrightarrow 2x^{2}-3 = 0 \ \text{or} \ x^{2} +5 = 0

We can now evaluate these two equations to obtain our roots, so with the first one,

x2=32x=±(32)\displaystyle x^{2} = \frac{3}{2} \Longleftrightarrow x=\pm \sqrt{\left ( \frac{3}{2} \right )}, as taking a square root gives us two solutions.

However, for the second equation, note that it leads to x2=5\displaystyle x^{2} = -5 and at GCSE level, you can't take the square root of negative numbers so we have to eliminate this solution x25\displaystyle \Rightarrow x^{2} \neq -5.

We only have two solutions in this case: x=±(32)\displaystyle \therefore x=\pm \sqrt{\left ( \frac{3}{2} \right )}

I hope this example helped!

Yes, it was very helpful indeed!! Thank you so much !! :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by Zacken

I need your brain -literally :biggrin: Thanks so much!! :wink:
Reply 10
Original post by Student403
My pleasure and thanks for the tag :biggrin:

I hope you understand the reason why btw!

Spoiler

No it's cool, no need to thank me -I owe you :tongue:.

Yup, I understand it now :biggrin:
Original post by RosaA
No it's cool, no need to thank me -I owe you :tongue:.

Yup, I understand it now :biggrin:

Love it when people say that :awesome:

Quick Reply

Latest