The Student Room Group

Warwick vs. KCL - International student

Hi. I've got all of my offers for Computer Science Bsc now. However I can't decide between Warwick and KCL.

KCL:
- Amazing location in London
- Well known abroad (including my country - probably because of its location in London)
- Internship opportunities - London
- Better nightlife

Warwick:
- Better course structure, flexibility in choosing modules of different departments
- Beautiful campus
- Higher in national rankings
- Well regarded by employers
- Targeted school

Honestly I think I would choose Warwick, however I really want to do my Masters degree in US and I'm worried if Warwick is recognized abroad? I would also like to note that my offer requirements from King's are way way lower than Warwick's
Reply 1
Hi, as a finalist student at Warwick I can tell you that Warwick is widely recognised worldwide. There's also a really great community here and loads of international students.
Also, my housemate studies comp sci and he's always getting targeted by huge firms and working with them during his course.
Original post by Wilhelmscreams
Hi. I've got all of my offers for Computer Science Bsc now. However I can't decide between Warwick and KCL.

KCL:
- Amazing location in London
- Well known abroad (including my country - probably because of its location in London)
- Internship opportunities - London
- Better nightlife

Warwick:
- Better course structure, flexibility in choosing modules of different departments
- Beautiful campus
- Higher in national rankings
- Well regarded by employers
- Targeted school

Honestly I think I would choose Warwick, however I really want to do my Masters degree in US and I'm worried if Warwick is recognized abroad? I would also like to note that my offer requirements from King's are way way lower than Warwick's

Warwick. The same internship opportunities are open to you as you'd apply online for them.

Warwick is represented amongst top US MBA programmes, PhD programmes and MSc programmes. You have nothing to worry about in that respect. Quite a lot of ivy leaguers do exchanges with Warwick and obviously, carry their experiences back to their campuses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Secessionism
Hi, as a finalist student at Warwick I can tell you that Warwick is widely recognised worldwide. There's also a really great community here and loads of international students.
Also, my housemate studies comp sci and he's always getting targeted by huge firms and working with them during his course.

Original post by Princepieman
Warwick. The same internship opportunities are open to you as you'd apply online for them.

Warwick is represented amongst top US MBA programmes, PhD programmes and MSc programmes. You have nothing to worry about in that respect. Quite a lot of ivy leaguers do exchanges with Warwick and obviously, carry their experiences back to their campuses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ugh the perpetual Warwick die-hard propagandists. King's has a vastly superior international brand name. Plus it's in London and not run-down Coventry.

Go King's if you can afford London.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I've firmed Warwick yesterday, and put KCL as my insurance.
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
Ugh the perpetual Warwick die-hard propagandists. King's has a vastly superior international brand name. Plus it's in London and not run-down Coventry.

I realize that King's is more widely known abroad, but I've figured that I like the course at Warwick better and that's more important.

I don't mind Warwick location I actually like the fact it's a campus uni. I have lived my whole life in a big city and probably will live in one after I graduate. It's only 1 hour by train from Coventry to Euston anyway.

Having said that, I want to thank you for your input! :smile: ( I put King's as my insurance, so who knows)

Ugh, the perpetual anti-Warwick army. Kings reputation is overrated, especially for Computer Science. Doesn't even stack up against Warwick for finance prospects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wilhelmscreams
I realize that King's is more widely known abroad, but I've figured that I like the course at Warwick better and that's more important.

I don't mind Warwick location I actually like the fact it's a campus uni. I have lived my whole life in a big city and probably will live in one after I graduate. It's only 1 hour by train from Coventry to Euston anyway.

Having said that, I want to thank you for your input! :smile: ( I put King's as my insurance, so who knows)

Good choice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ugh, the perpetual anti-Warwick army. Kings reputation is overrated, especially for Computer Science. Doesn't even stack up against Warwick for finance prospects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not anti-Warwick army. The reality patrol.

If an uninformed individual made their way onto TSR, they'd be persuaded that Warwick rivals LSE, or god forbid Oxbridge.

Fact is it's a great University, but it isn't a UK Top 5, nor does it have a significant international reputation.

Even if someone hasn't a clue what KCL is, 'King's College London' sounds far better than 'Warwick'. I mean where the hell is that anyway?

If an uninformed individual made their way onto TSR, they'd be persuaded that Warwick rivals LSE, or god forbid Oxbridge.

Fact is it's a great University, but it isn't a UK Top 5, nor does it have a significant international reputation.

Even if someone hasn't a clue what KCL is, 'King's College London' sounds far better than 'Warwick'. I mean where the hell is that anyway?

You're always on 'Warwick v' threads. To me, you just seem like you have a HUGE inferiority complex or are just really insecure about your university.

Warwick has never been ranked out of the top 10 for the 22 years rankings have been around. UCL has, KCL hasn't even touched the top 10.

And indeed for CS, Maths, Economics and Business it rivals LSE/Imperial/Oxbridge.

Stop being so defensive dude, it's quite irritating.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
You're always on 'Warwick v' threads. To me, you just seem like you have a HUGE inferiority complex or are just really insecure about your university.

Warwick has never been ranked out of the top 10 for the 22 years rankings have been around. UCL has, KCL hasn't even touched the top 10.

And indeed for CS, Maths, Economics and Business it rivals LSE/Imperial/Oxbridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

CS? nah its pretty average for that. Everything else you said its top at
Original post by Foxab77
CS? nah its pretty average for that. Everything else you said its top at

Depends on your definition of 'top'. It regularly has the one of the best research ratings for it, is ranked in the top 10 for the subject, has fairly high entry requirements for the subject.

A*AA vs AAB at KCL.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't go to King's nor do I go to Warwick. I try to give people a balanced and accurate view. You'll often see me defending UCL against Warwick. Yet, I turned down an offer from UCL for another University. I don't take a bias view.

Are you seriously recommending OP pick KCL over Warwick, because "Kings College London sounds better"?....:facepalm2:

God help me, the stupidity on this site is incredible sometimes.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Death Grips
Are you seriously recommending OP pick KCL over Warwick, because "Kings College London sounds better"?....:facepalm2:

God help me, the stupidity on this site is incredible sometimes.

Nope, that was a passing remark. Read earlier posts for a clearer understanding of why I said King's over Warwick.

But yes, it does sound better because King's has an international 'brand'. :smile:
Lol why would anyone pick KCL over Warwick that's a joke right.

Nope, that was a passing remark. Read earlier posts for a clearer understanding of why I said King's over Warwick.

But yes, it does sound better because King's has an international 'brand'. :smile:
Lol, Warwick definitely. Don't know where the international reputation argument comes in, Warwick is connected to the Ivies, the UCs, has fantastic links in the US, is opening a campus in the California.

Just created another research link with the top x students of China to come and do their PhDs. Making huge deals with eastern world.

Linked heavily with Australia. Connected to many fantastic European institutions, all the facts are on the website- you have to search deep as there is information located everywhere (can get quite annoying when searching for answers).

Has been on many of the US news reports, CNN, E! etc. Has a 40% international student body. Don't worry about rep. Tbh, go check them both out.

I'm from the states, read one of my old posts if you would like to. :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending