The Student Room Group

What's the job market like for graduates in London/UK?

I'm currently in year 12 studying A Levels in History, Chem, Physics and Maths. Most likely going to drop History and hope to study Engineering or Physics with maths at university. What's the job market like for graduates with engineering degrees? I've heard some stuff about how there isn't a wide range of jobs for engineers especially in London so it would mean I'd have to look into moving out of London to a different city, or perhaps a different country altogether.

P.S. Just wondering! Nothing's decided yet and I just wanted to see what it's like for graduates
The market's better than most other fields, only healthcare and niche professional courses would give engineering a run for it's money in terms of graduate prospects. You can definitely do anything engineering related, finance/banking, teaching, patent law is also an option as that field is pretty much begging for engineering grads.
I don't think you can rent in London even if you are earning 40k per year
Original post by Mahmoud X

It's not that bad. I know people earning very little but they still have houses in North London.

My family has moved house 3 times and our household income is only like 50k. Of course you can rent in london on 40k.
Original post by Lawliettt
It's not that bad. I know people earning very little but they still have houses in North London.

My family has moved house 3 times and our household income is only like 50k. Of course you can rent in london on 40k.

60k minimum for London.
60k minimum for London.

Lol why are you arguing with me about something you clearly don't know much about?

I live in London. I can tell you that myself and many people I know live comfortably under 60k.

London prices only become ridiculous when you're looking for student halls or somewhere near the central.

You act like it's only possible to live here unless you're an engineer, doctor or investment banker.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lawliettt
Lol why are you arguing with me about something you clearly don't know much about?

I live in London. I can tell you that myself and many people I know live comfortably under 60k.

London prices only become ridiculous when you're looking for student halls or somewhere near the central.

You act like it's only possible to live here unless you're an engineer, doctor or investment banker.

How much rent would you expect to pay per week in London?

A tiny little room in North London

over £100 per week

http://www.spareroom.co.uk/flatshare/london/golders_green/4772584

:rofl:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7

Most law grads I know flat-share, for the first few years it is tough, but after a few years once they hit £60k+ it gets easier.
Original post by Shillary
Most law grads I know flat-share, for the first few years it is tough, but after a few years once they hit £60k+ it gets easier.

Exactly, that's fine if a) you have that psychological toughness and b) there is a good chance you could hit 60k before you're 25 and six figures before you're 30, so you actually have something to live for, but there is a dystopian hellishness to it all.

I think it is reasonable to believe than an average wage should able to allow a person live in a modest terrace house or spacious flat and support their partner and two children. A so called studio apartment is a nice second home for a wealthy professional who doesn't want to commute, it's not a permanent residence which can give your life dignity. Unless you are young, single and building for your future family life, it's absurd my mind just cannot get around it.

I've made my feelings regarding living in London extremely clear on my various dupes, but in the back of my mind, a part of me wants to be proven wrong. Most people in London earn less than 40k per year and this isn't young people straight out of university, this is middle aged people. There must be something which makes them want to continue living in London, but sadly I'm starting to believe that other people value pop-up shops and trendy bars much more than I do :dontknow:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Exactly, that's fine if a) you have that psychological toughness and b) there is a good chance you could hit 60k before you're 25 and six figures before you're 30, so you actually have something to live for, but there is a dystopian hellishness to it all.

Psychological toughness - for flat-sharing? Usually with friends, so shouldn't be that bad. :tongue:

I think it is reasonable to believe than an average wage should able to allow a person to live in a modest terrace house or spacious flat and support their partner and two children. A so called studio apartment is a nice second home for a wealthy professional who doesn't want to commute, it's not a permanent residence which can give your life dignity. Unless you are young, single and building for your future family life

Yeah I agree with this.

I've made my feelings regarding living in London extremely clear on my various dupes, but in the back of my mind, a part of me wants to be proven wrong. Most people in London earn less than 40k per year and this isn't young people straight out of university, this is middle aged people. There must be something which makes them want to continue living in London, but sadly I'm starting to believe that other people value pop-up shops and trendy bars much more than I do :dontknow:

I think living in London can be really good, it's just that you need to be earning a lot for that to be the case, and if you're not (and have no realistic immediate prospect of doing so) it quickly goes from 'really good' to 'really ****', there is not as much of a middle-ground like in other places.
Psychological toughness - for flat-sharing? Usually with friends, so shouldn't be that bad. :tongue:

They will smell, they will cook smelly food, they will have loud sex, they will have a problem with you having loud sex

I think living in London can be really good, it's just that you need to be earning a lot for that to be the case, and if you're not (and have no realistic immediate prospect of doing so) it quickly goes from 'really good' to 'really ****', there is not as much of a middle-ground like in other places.

Exactly, it's a means to an end, it's not the way to live your life however.
They will smell, they will cook smelly food, they will have loud sex, they will have a problem with you having loud sex
I live in student accommodation now, with 3 others. This is essentially flat-sharing, and it is manageable. As long as I choose who I flat-share with (I already have a few good friends with whom I could flat-share) then I don't think it will be an issue.
Reply 12
Thanks guys, guess job prospects look pretty good, I will bear that in mind :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest