The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP3 - 27th June, 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EricPiphany
The guy they hired to do the solutions got drunk that night.

"Professor Adams. Are you sure you're fit to continue with the solution bank?"

"*hic* mmmyeeaaaaah hold my maths while I write this beerrrrrrr"
Original post by Zacken
Unpopular opinion: Chapter 2 mixed exercises is quite nice...

I actually like it. They actually require some thought!
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
they're doable after the first 3

I thought question 3 was pretty easy tbh, the first 2 were hideous tho. Having said that, I did question 3 differently to solution banl
(edited 8 years ago)
FP3 is probably the worst module I've ever done. None of the content seems hard, but I've done exam questions and they just leave me so confused (literally any topic). Are there any websites that explain the solid parts of FP3 (namely loci of points associated with certain graphs and vectors).
Original post by Craig1998
FP3 is probably the worst module I've ever done. None of the content seems hard, but I've done exam questions and they just leave me so confused (literally any topic). Are there any websites that explain the solid parts of FP3 (namely loci of points associated with certain graphs and vectors).

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/Edexcel/period-1/FP3/module.php

Thank you, last time I checked that website FP3 wasn't finished.

yea it got finished off quite recently, just in time too :laugh:
Apparently question 8 last year was hard (the last question).

My friend didn't answer the last part in the exam last year :0.
Original post by Louisb19

im planning to do it over easter (i dont want to leave it to june as if its as hard as everyone is making out then my confidence will plummet just before the exam)

i am actually quite nervous :laugh:

Original post by DylanJ42
yea it got finished off quite recently, just in time too :laugh:

It hasn't been finished. There's nothing on matrices, hyperbolas and it's missing a huge chunk of integration.
Original post by Zacken
It hasn't been finished. There's nothing on matrices, hyperbolas and it's missing a huge chunk of integration.

oh then im retarded :laugh: whoops
Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 16.25.29.png

I can't understand what the last part of this question wants me to do, would anyone be able to explain it to me?

Thanks

@Zacken
Original post by Euclidean

I can't understand what the last part of this question wants me to do, would anyone be able to explain it to me?

Thanks

@Zacken

Normalised direction vector

Thanks

@Zacken

I'm not sure what the "cosines" mean but as Eric, said - the unit vector in the direction OF.
Original post by Zacken
I'm not sure what the "cosines" mean but as Eric, said - the unit vector in the direction OF.

If you have a normalised vector, the cosine of the angle between it and each of i, j, and k are the components of the vector, as can be seen by taking the dot products.
If you have a normalised vector, the cosine of the angle between it and each of i, j, and k are the components of the vector, as can be seen by taking the dot products.

Ah, thanks!
Normalised direction vector

Original post by Zacken

Thanks! :biggrin:
Original post by Louisb19

I didn't get time to finish it in the exam but i did it straight after and it wasn't too bad. Still lost loads of marks in that exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks

@Zacken

Original post by Zacken
Ah, thanks!

The phrase is not used in Edexcel FP3.

More information here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direction_cosine
How would you phrase the answer to this question? Jn is defined as Jn = integral between 0 and 2pi of cos^n x, with the reduction being nJn=cos^n-1 x sinx +(n-1)Jn-2. Basically you had to show if n is odd Jn is always equal to 0. I basically said that the only term independent of sine (as sine npi is 0) is the case where n =1, i.e. the integral of cosx so again you get sinx which when evaluated obviously gives you 0 again, but i wondered if there was a more eloquent way to show it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending