The Student Room Group

What are "chavs" exactly?.

I'm not from the UK, but I see it written a lot in here.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by electricvolt

Where are you from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by davidguettafan
Where are you from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

From South Korea.
Reply 4

So they are basically a bunch of thugs?.
Chavs are also known as flower boys, they tend to have dyed hair. are into boy bands and such.
Cheap hooligans annoying virus.
Reply 7
Original post by Bad Faith
Cheap hooligans annoying virus.

What is the difference between "chavs" and regular thugs ?.
So they are basically a bunch of thugs?.

In short yes, however its not as simple as people think, you get different types of chav its just more often used to describe the poorer bad people its more people who are chavs have no respect for others and feel entitled to things at other peoples expense.

In both my opinion and experience many students fit the chav profile as they do things like disrespect other people, property, get drunk and cause damage to property, get into bad debt with little intention of paying it back. and think they are better than other people.

The only major difference between the two is the poor chavs get money from the government in benefits and the students get loans and parents to pay for it

So the other short way of saying it is in the simplest term its based on social classes.
Reply 9
Idiots who smoke in children's parks, start fights in groups of 4+ have no education whatsoever, are into weed and alcohol but steal their parents money to pay for it all.
[video="youtube;O_sc1YkFyWA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_sc1YkFyWA[/video]

Wikipedia?
Original post by RatedR
Idiots who smoke in children's parks, start fights in groups of 4+ have no education whatsoever, are into weed and alcohol but steal their parents money to pay for it all.

Take out the part about no education and you could just as easily use that to describe many students.

Except these days instead of weed students use legal highs.
Reply 13
Original post by drbluebox
Take out the part about no education and you could just as easily use that to describe many students.

Except these days instead of weed students use legal highs.

Then perhaps the many students are the very chavs we are speaking of
What is the difference between "chavs" and regular thugs ?.

Chavs and thugs are two different breeds.

Here are some chavs...

Spoiler

And here are some thugs...

Spoiler

There is some overlap though.
benefit dependent, chav car crazy, sports direct fiends.
Hostile and abrasive economically disadvantaged people who, for a multitude of environmental reasons have given up on/been given up on becoming independent, responsible members of society. I would say their defining characteristic is a complete lack of self-worth which they attempt to camouflage by being outwardly aggressive.
Their destination of choice for clothes shopping is the sports clothing shop and the jewellers.
Their destination of choice for a day out is hanging around in street corners, the park or the shopping centre.
Their dog of choice is one that looks 'ard, like a Staff (Staffordshire Bullterrier).
They love nothing more than to play music from their phones at the back of the bus.
Their only aspiration is life is to "sign on" at the Jobcentre and spend a large portion of their money on cigarettes, booze and weed.
They're largely under-educated, possibly dyslexic.
Their hobbies and interests are drinking; smoking; fighting; petty theft; loitering; shagging; listening to "wicked tunez"; and joyriding and doing donuts and wheelspins in the local car park (if they can afford a car).
On the off-chance that the Chav is employed, it'll be in an unskilled manual labour position.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JohnGreek
The offspring of the perpetually unemployed underbelly of British society.

Not all unemployed people are chavs fyi

Quick Reply

Latest