The Student Room Group

Why do religous people have an issue with Gay marriage?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ivybridge
I'm personally not in-favour of Gay Marriage at all. I see it as unnecessary. You cannot fight for the rights of one and stomp on those of another. Marriage is a religious ceremony. Homosexuality is condemned by the Bible and marriage is characterised by the union of One Man and One Woman. Churches should be able to stick to their original practises because they have a right to religious freedom.

You can get non-religious marriages.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
In calling it a civil partnership rather than a marriage, you're saying that their relationship is not as valid as a heterosexual couple's. It's lesser, and doesn't deserve to be called a 'marriage'.

Do correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought marriage was supposed to be about love. And I see no difference between the love that two men can feel for each other, and the love between a man and a woman. And that love should be celebrated through marriage, a legally-binding union.

Civil partnerships aren't sufficient, because they imply that homosexual relationships are less valid than heterosexual relationships.

How is it less valid? Wait are the rights given by law different or smt idk?

It's just saying that it's different not "lesser" since they can't come together in the same way.
You can get non-religious marriages.

Yes because it sticks to the basic gender principle.

(I'm gay by the way... I just don't think 'Gay Marriage' is necessary. Forced, no, legal with Churches having the right to say they can't perform one, yes.)
Reply 23
Religion usually defines marriage as union between a man and a woman and homosexuality as sin, so naturally a marriage based on such practice is going to frowned upon, the reason why homosexuality is a sin is probably hygiene related, Israel 2000 years ago didn't exactly have the same sexual standards and knowledge.
Reply 24
Original post by HTrust
If you believe homosexuality is wrong then only get married to the opposite sex. Why take away someones else's right?
For example, religious people think that adultery is wrong. So religious people only have sex after marriage. FINE. However people that are maybe not religious have sex before marriage and people tolerate it. So should we now criminalize adultery?

Gay marriage does not affect anyone.
I am Christian myself however I dont give a **** if two men or two women wanna ****

youre clearly not a Christian if you're swearing, that is not very Christ like at all..
Reply 25
I'm agnostic, and I believe all people should be treated equally despite sexuality, race, gender etc etc.

However certain religions have problems with gay marriage for many reasons.

Some Christians would point to biblical evidence of God saying only man and women should be together; man cannot be with man (and women with other women). Some use the argument of procreation; sex is a gift from God to create new life, and all sexual acts have to be open to the possibility of creation. Seeing as a gay couple cannot fulfil this in a sexual act, it means they should not engage in it. So some Christians believe plutonic gay couples are acceptable - just not the sex. In terms of marriage, this is seen as union of man and wife, and so some Christians believe the sacred notion of this ceremony is denied if it is not between man and woman. So some support a civil union instead of marriage. Others believe in Jesus' teaching and emphasis of love, and so they believe any relationship and marriage based on love is fine.

Despite their reasonings, even if we do not believe them, it is their belief. I only have a problem with this if it detrimentally affects people, which arguably this does.
Reply 26
Yes because it sticks to the basic gender principle.

(I'm gay by the way... I just don't think 'Gay Marriage' is necessary. Forced, no, legal with Churches having the right to say they can't perform one, yes.)

Agreed that Churches should have the right to refuse marriage services to gay couples, if you don't agree with the basic principles of a religion you should probably go elsewhere or start your own branch.
Original post by alkaline.
A vagina hole is literally( created to give birth and to be) the perfect place to accommodate a penis, if you really think up someone's butt is the NATURAL place for one to go then???

So you basically would only ever have vaginal sex? No kissing, oral sex, etc? Do you think the mouth is a "natural" place for another mouth or penis to go? Also homosexuality is not just about anal sex, which many straight couples also engage in.

In the words of many many TSR Users "how is that in any way evolutionarily advantageous" it's not + also HIV is prevalent/high risk among gay men aka when penis is repeatedly put in someone's anus.

What on earth has that got to do with gay marriage? And if it's not evolutionarily advantageous, why hasn't it been filtered out by natural selection?

People can chose what they do with their dick and where they put it and not only gay men have anal but the main thing I want to know is what does marriage mean to you? Cause if it's being together in Union etc then civil partnership would suffice would it not? but I wouldn't know why homosexual couples want to call in marriage so I would like opinions on what marriage means to them and why civil partnership isn't enough?

Separate is not equal. Why weren't black people content with separate water fountains in the USA in the 1960s?
I'm personally not in-favour of Gay Marriage at all. I see it as unnecessary. You cannot fight for the rights of one and stomp on those of another. Marriage is a religious ceremony. Homosexuality is condemned by the Bible and marriage is characterised by the union of One Man and One Woman. Churches should be able to stick to their original practises because they have a right to religious freedom.

Marriage has been a variety of things throughout history, including secular, polygamous and involving two parties of the same sex. Marriage in Ancient Rome was a largely secular contract.

How is having secular same-sex marriage interfering with the religious freedom of the church? That's like saying allowing secular divorce interferes with the religious freedom of the church because it goes against its principles.
Well, no because divorce is religiously acceptable on some grounds buddy...

Original post by Lady Comstock
Marriage has been a variety of things throughout history, including secular, polygamous and involving two parties of the same sex. Marriage in Ancient Rome was a largely secular contract.

How is having secular same-sex marriage interfering with the religious freedom of the church? That's like saying allowing secular divorce interferes with the religious freedom of the church because it goes against its principles.
And if it's not evolutionarily advantageous, why hasn't it been filtered out by natural selection?

Ikr. I see arguments like his waaay too often; people thinking it's our job to somehow "enforce" what is evolutionarily optimal. The entire idea is that natural selection takes care of itself!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Toliqua
youre clearly not a Christian if you're swearing, that is not very Christ like at all..

Taking the Lord's name in vain is one thing, but the last time I checked, the Lord's name wasn't ****.
I absolutely hate this argument with my whole self :colonhash: EDIT: i don't mean ur argument OP, i agree with what you say :smile:)

so what if it isn't 'natural' or what is 'meant to happen' (even though animals display homosexual behaviour) loads of things aren't 'meant to happen'. Humans aren't meant to live in concrete blocks, they are meant to live in the wild etc etc
if someone loves someone you have absolutely no right to tell them it is wrong. It isn't. Normally i never tell people they are wrong and i usually respect everyone's opinions but not on this.
Sex is a very private thing to many people and what people do in private is of absolutely no consequence to you whatsoever. Someone man wants to get it on with another man? or vice vera with women?
why do you care? noone is forcing you to do it?
as for religion and marriage. Marriage is just a word and it is uniting two people in love. ffs just change the man and a woman bit :rolleyes: frankly idek why these things are a 'sin' anyway in any religion for the reasons i mentioned above. Would be great if all religious text was swapped for 'do what you want as long as it dosen't harm anyone else'

/rant :getmecoat:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 33
Their imaginary friend doesn't like it.
Most people grow out of that nonsense by the time they reach their 5th or 6th birthday.
Well, no because divorce is religiously acceptable on some grounds buddy...

You didn't answer how having secular gay marriage interferes with the freedom of religion of the church?

Also, secular divorce is not religiously acceptable in mainstream Christianity as far as I am aware.
(edited 8 years ago)
Because that is what their religious text states? Are you not a Christian yourself? You believe in God and the Bible, correct?

So another religious person devoted to their God is not that different from you.

The Christians I came across with at my church seem like loving people. They are no way are trying to control anyone's life or strip gay people's rights. In fact, I think they even preached to love the gays?

Can you believe those religious people in my church said that? So what. They don't like homosexuality or promote gay marriage. It isn't a requirement of anyone to be a citizen of a community to like gay marriage.

You do not have to believe there's a God up on the sky watching you to have morals.

Some people don't like lying, some people don't like children born with parents who are not married, some people don't like sex outside of marriage, some people don't like religious people and yadda yadda. Does that mean if you dislike something that goes against your beliefs and may not first hand effect you mean you have a vendetta against those people? No. People have likes and dislikes. For some people seeing two straight manly men making out isn't likable.
It doesn't affect them personally but it somehow a less of a reason why they shouldn't dislike it? So people have to be affected by something to admit they don't like something?

The only thing is "Christian" about me is I believe in God and attend sometimes.

Also gay marriage is not traditional marriage. How many husband and husband and wife and wife marriages have you seen in earlier UK history? Be honest. Majority of people who get married are wife and husband. That's why it's traditional marriage just as eggs, pancakes are a traditional breakfast because it that is what is mainly eaten in America for breakfast and been going on for a long time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Very few people who consider themselves religious also accept that homosexuality is natural, the majority cannot comprehend the existence of it, and therefore do not support it.

With that being said, I also think since being openly gay is so uncommon in most parts of the world where religion plays an important role in people's lives, it's hard not to spot a trend between religiosity and acceptance of the LGBTQI+ community, but even in areas of the world like China where religion does not play a huge role in people's lives (specifically Abrahamic religions) homosexuality is still a muddy area.

The world has a long way to go, but I definitely see a time where most people, including religious people. accept the LGBTQI+ community.
You didn't answer how having secular gay marriage interferes with the freedom of religion of the church?

Also, secular divorce is not religiously acceptable in mainstream Christianity as far as I am aware.

Well, I did in my original point, mate.

Yes it is, on some grounds. I have been to religious schools all my life and studied this sort of stuff inside out. Even Jesus himself states divorce can be acceptable on some grounds in the Bible. :smile:

Civil partnerships aren't sufficient, because they imply that homosexual relationships are less valid than heterosexual relationships.

Well, no they don't though? All that's different between them is the damn title of ''marriage".
Original post by alkaline.
okay well Usually when entering a marriage the intentions are to procreate. If they can't then they can't by the "equipment " is there, might be just be some kind of malfunctioning with it.

A vagina hole is literally( created to give birth and to be) the perfect place to accommodate a penis, if you really think up someone's butt is the NATURAL place for one to go then??? In the words of many many TSR Users "how is that in any way evolutionarily advantageous" it's not + also HIV is prevalent/high risk among gay men aka when penis is repeatedly put in someone's anus.

People can chose what they do with their dick and where they put it and not only gay men have anal but the main thing I want to know is what does marriage mean to you? Cause if it's being together in Union etc then civil partnership would suffice would it not? but I wouldn't know why homosexual couples want to call in marriage so I would like opinions on what marriage means to them and why civil partnership isn't enough?

My previous posts say I don't really see why gay marriage is necessary and whatever but stop talking drivel, dude. These days, people don't marry to have kids, they marry because they love the other person. That just doesn't even apply to modern-day marriages.

Secondly, what has this sex mallarky really got to do with it? I mean, for one, you ignore the fact that it isn't only men who are gay and everyone seems to do this all the time - women can also love, bang and marry other women. Gay marriage would apply to them also.

Quick Reply

Latest