The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HamzahPatel
OMG they're having a gender segregated dinner. Unacceptable for a western country!
Oh wait, I'm being forced to have segregated education for 7 years of my life at my grammar school :colonhash:

I hope you know that there is public scrutiny of single-sex schools...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NickLCFC
Honestly, if they don't feel comfortable attending an event that isn't gender segregated, then they certainty shouldn't be living in the UK. I hear Saudi Arabia is nice though!

What gives you the right to say that? What allows you to set the moral parameters of society?
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I don't really understand the fuss with these things tbh. If the society wants to do it, and the attendees are OK with it, I don't really see any issue.

Because as a society we have fought to do away with such segregation. It is also questionable if all attendees want it.
What's the problem?

OP, do you want to stop me from having a stag do?
Original post by Farm_Ecology
Because as a society we have fought to do away with such segregation. It is also questionable if all attendees want it.

Yeah, I'm sure all attendees don't want it. Still, they don't have to attend an event if they disagree with how it is being run.
Original post by jgjog3
You're absolutely right.
But what I'm saying is all gatherings have their own rules.
Some make sense like presidents and leaders being VIP
Some are shitty like the one in the article.
If you don't like the place though, Just leave.?

Private gatherings have the right to have their own rules (under the law ofc but gender segregation is fine in private matters afaik), the thing is more about public reaction/criticism tbf. You can just leave many things... but there's still public scrutiny. e.g. if a Christian bakery don't wanna serve you cuz you're gay/non-Christian, I think they have the right to do that legally - just leave.

I hope no one is suggesting banning the event for which they are fully within their rights (although banning something for cultural appropriation could be similar though)

Note that its typical dailymail hypocrisy though, I'd love it if they snooped in on an event held by a group which match them ideologically and report on them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SirAlexFerguson
What gives you the right to say that? What allows you to set the moral parameters of society?

Common sense.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Yeah, I'm sure all attendees don't want it. Still, they don't have to attend an event if they disagree with how it is being run.

This is true, but how are people meant to express their disagreement if when they do they are simply told that ita their right to do so.
Original post by rockrunride
What's the problem?

OP, do you want to stop me from having a stag do?

Not the same thing at all and you know it isn't.
Original post by Farm_Ecology
This is true, but how are people meant to express their disagreement if when they do they are simply told that ita their right to do so.

Well you could say the same about any event... If they disapprove, then they shouldn't go, or they should try to encourage the organisers to change it.

I obviously don't "support" gender segregation as such, but if people want to enforce it at their own event, then I don't really see much of an issue tbh. It's up to them.
Common sense.

What a silly response...
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I have no problem with them doing it in a Muslim country.

A Western country? Hell no. Pretty sure the British don't want people from the Middle ages in their universities.

The event was hosted by the Islamic society and is really only going to attended by Muslims who wouldn't mind the segregation. Since the religious gender segregation only affects those of that specific religion and not wider British society, there is no problem. If they did this in a non-Muslim event like a play in Luton or somewhere then it would be unacceptable but since the segregation was only enforced on people who believe in it then it's fine.
Not the same thing at all and you know it isn't.

No, I don't...

One is a social event discriminating on the basis of gender... and so is the other.
Reply 93
What next?
Toilet gender segregation?
not necessarily the biggest problem thats stemmed from islam
Original post by Trapz99
The event was hosted by the Islamic society and is really only going to attended by Muslims who wouldn't mind the segregation. Since the religious gender segregation only affects those of that specific religion and not wider British society, there is no problem. If they did this in a non-Muslim event like a play in Luton or somewhere then it would be unacceptable but since the segregation was only enforced on people who believe in it then it's fine.

What about the people who work there?

They are protected against sexual discrimination in the work place and this is where we will now be focusing our attention to get the places that host these closed down or prevented from running such events

The ISOC may choose to do this but they are soon going to find nowhere to host them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Legendary Quest
They made the decision to attend the event, did they not?

How would you feel if a voluntary dinner were being held where Black people were being kept separate from White people? :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:
What's the problem?OP, do you want to stop me from having a stag do?

You're not a woman? :erm:
Original post by Mahmoud X
You're not a woman? :erm:

I'm a bloke.
I'm a bloke.

Sheeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

ahahahaha

:rofl:

k :smile:

Latest

Trending