The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Whilst I would never have a stag party, lots of guys do allow women to attend

Spoiler

Original post by Trapz99
The event was hosted by the Islamic society and is really only going to attended by Muslims who wouldn't mind the segregation. .

Original post by Chief Wiggum
Well you could say the same about any event... If they disapprove, then they shouldn't go, or they should try to encourage the organisers to change it.

Not all muslims favour gender segregation.

Exactly, and this is in essence, what people are doing here. They are expressing disagreement with the segregation of the event.
Reply 102
If the ISOC receives any funding or material support from a public body, or is explicitly associated with the university, then it is unacceptable.

If it is a privately organised and funded function on private property, then it's nobody else's business but theirs.
Original post by Mahmoud X
How would you feel if a voluntary dinner were being held where Black people were being kept separate from White people? :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

Attendance isn't compulsory. No one is forcing you to go to the dinner. I would not attend a dinner where people are being segregated because I don't agree with it. You don't like it? Then don't go. Simples.
Original post by Legendary Quest
Attendance isn't compulsory. No one is forcing you to go to the dinner. I would not attend a dinner where people are being segregated because I don't agree with it. You don't like it? Then don't go. Simples.

What about the people who have to work at these events

Do you think in cases like this things like equality laws in employment should be ignored?
Original post by QE2
If the ISOC receives any funding or material support from a public body, or is explicitly associated with the university, then it is unacceptable.

If it is a privately organised and funded function on private property, then it's nobody else's business but theirs.

AH! we are working to challenge that given the events that host these places are also subject to equality laws in the UK and while people may choose it is illegal for employers to enforce gender segregation of their workers

What about if a private company didn't want to allow Black people into the boardroom?

Would you be ok with that, yes or no?
Reply 107

Not attending and giving a blind eye to obvious flaws in the thinking of muslims is just giving room for the problem to spread and grow.
Original post by BaconandSauce
AH! we are working to challenge that given the events that host these places are also subject to equality laws in the UK and while people may choose it is illegal for employers to enforce gender segregation of their workers

It's an absolutely pathetic situation, if a bunch of overprivileged White males were to create the Redpill society which hosted sexist dinners, the tumblrinas would be all over it. Nobody stands up to bigotry if they don't associate that bigotry with Europeans.
It's an absolutely pathetic situation, if a bunch of overprivileged White males were to create the Redpill society which hosted sexist dinners, the tumblrinas would be all over it. Nobody stands up to bigotry if they don't associate that bigotry with Europeans.

PRSOM
Original post by chemting
PRSOM

:hat2:

completely agree.
:hat2:

I wonder if this can be cancelled on the grounds of Cultural Appropriation...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 113
I guess that if the venue allows its staff to cross the gender boundary, then it is probably not breaking any laws. In reality, it could be no different to some golf and sailing clubs. Wrong, but permitted.

I'd love the irony of the male attendees being served by female staff, and vice versa.
Original post by QE2
I guess that if the venue allows its staff to cross the gender boundary, then it is probably not breaking any laws. In reality, it could be no different to some golf and sailing clubs. Wrong, but permitted.

I'd love the irony of the male attendees being served by female staff, and vice versa.

"I don't want to get aroused by beautiful Muslimahs whilst I'm eating... except when I get served by beautiful non-Muslimahs"

If they get served by female muslims on the other hand...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by QE2

Yes it would have to allow both sexes to cross the divide (and this is what we are currently looking at ensuring happens)

But I think we both know how this works in reality and we know what 'rules' are being enforced

But as I say we are going to challenge this and ensure this is done with compliance of the law
The female students should be served by people wearing this underwear.

''all the meat is halal''

a good uniform for those serving the 'men' as well :smile:
a good uniform for those serving the 'men' as well :smile:

I wonder what's on the menu :dontknow: :colondollar:

I wonder what's on the menu :dontknow: :colondollar:

May I kindly request you include a trigger warning next time? I'm going to my safe space, aka halal kebab shop.
If it's of any interest, the gender segregation within Islam seems to have contributed to some problems in some muslim majority countries.

Spoiler

Gender segregation (you might say inevitably) has lead to an inability to interact maturely and empathize with the opposite sex, with the prohibition of consensual premarital relationships exacerbating the problem of interaction and empathy further, by not being able to develop and gain relationship experience and not being able to ascertain to whom one is sexually compatible with, cue sexual harassment...

“...Girls and boys are separated from primary school to the end of high school. They never have a chance to interact and when they suddenly do, they can’t just make normal conversation. It’s like any interaction is implicitly on sexual territory...

"...And there is a surprising, even chilling, paradox. As we hide every part of our body short of our faces and hands, sexual harassment does not decrease: it increases. It’s open season for hunting, all year round.”

http://www.theguardian.com/world/iran-blog/2015/sep/15/iran-hijab-backfired-sexual-harassment?CMP=share_btn_tw

And then there's the contribution to a rise in homosexual relationships...

"...This view of sexual behavior, in combination with the strict segregation of the sexes, serves to foster homosexual acts."

"...In the absence of women, he said, he’d “go with” a guy. “I go in and put up an offer,” he said. “I set the tone. I’m in control.”

“...It’s a lot easier to be gay than straight here,” he had said. “If you go out with a girl, people will start to ask her questions."

"...They catch a boy and a girl on a date, they might haul the couple to the police station..."

"...In Saudi Arabia, “It’s easier to be a lesbian [than a heterosexual]. There’s an overwhelming number of people who turn to lesbianism,” Yasmin said, adding that the number of men in the kingdom who turn to gay sex is even greater. “They’re not really homosexual,” she said. “They’re like cell mates in prison..."

"The kingdom in the closet"

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2007/05/the-kingdom-in-the-closet/305774/

(edited 8 years ago)

Latest