The Student Room Group

Newcastle or Queen Mary?

Hey everyone, I have gotten unconditional offers from both Newcastle and Queen Mary (and Leicester but I'm not too keen to go there, convince me otherwise plz) for their BSc Computer Science course. Which do I choose? I want to become a software developer/programmer at an international company (like Microsoft, Facebook, Twitter etc). Thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
It depends on which uni you prefer, have you visited both Newcastle and Q.Mary's? With Mary's you have the benefit/advantage of it being a russell group, plus it's in London so you may have an upper hand whilst networking. I've got a conditional offer from Q.Mary's but I'm uncertain as of now :smile: Good luck choosing!
Original post by Gin44
It depends on which uni you prefer, have you visited both Newcastle and Q.Mary's? With Mary's you have the benefit/advantage of it being a russell group, plus it's in London so you may have an upper hand whilst networking. I've got a conditional offer from Q.Mary's but I'm uncertain as of now :smile: Good luck choosing!

Thanks for the input! Initially I was gearing towards QM because it was my first choice in my mind but now that I have the offer from Newcastle (also a RG btw :tongue:) I kind of am doubting QM... I've read people's experience of QM here (and the info on those red boxes on the uni pages) and it doesn't seem like a lot of people are satisfied. Then on the other hand it's in London and well connected to tech companies but I can't help but feel like Newcastle is more established/prestigious for some reason!!!! Argh!!! xD

And yeah I've visited QM before (but I might still attend next week's open day) whilst I've not visited Newcastle at all.
(edited 8 years ago)
1) Read REF 2014 CS reports of each to get a feel of what the faculty is up to

2) Unless you plan to get really involved in side projects meeting people in the tech scene in London (while still getting at least a 2:1), I would not put too much emphasis on the benefits of going to QMUL

3) At the end of your degree, when you're applying for developer roles, what you've done outside your degree is going to count for a lot more than the respective university's 'connections' (barring organised placements at big names)

Source: experience of London/milkround process, own research, LSE graduate landed decent job, quit after few years to get into CS

TL;DR enjoy your undergrad - go where you'll be happy so you can focus on building a strong resume, networking relatively overrated for dev roles
Reply 4
Original post by orphan_black
Thanks for the input! Initially I was gearing towards QM because it was my first choice in my mind but now that I have the offer from Newcastle (also a RG btw :tongue:) I kind of am doubting QM... I've read people's experience of QM here (and the info on those red boxes on the uni pages) and it doesn't seem like a lot of people are satisfied. Then on the other hand it's in London and well connected to tech companies but I can't help but feel like Newcastle is more established/prestigious for some reason!!!! Argh!!! xD

And yeah I've visited QM before (but I might still attend next week's open day) whilst I've not visited Newcastle at all.

Take in account the cost of living for each place as well.

Going to London from Newcastle by train a few times a year (for tech conferences/internships/tech scene) is far cheaper than living in London.

They're both pretty much the same in prestige. A graduate from QM won't have "better" prospects based on their uni, than a graduate from NCL, all else being equal.

Pretty sure everyone I've talked to from NCL absolutely loved it. My friends at QM enjoy their degree, but they don't seem as enthusiastic about it in comparison.

The modules vary significantly, too. I think QM is more theoretical, whilst NCL is more practical in terms of learning more that is applicable in the real working environment.
Original post by TrojanH
Take in account the cost of living for each place as well.

Going to London from Newcastle by train a few times a year (for tech conferences/internships/tech scene) is far cheaper than living in London.

They're both pretty much the same in prestige. A graduate from QM won't have "better" prospects based on their uni, than a graduate from NCL, all else being equal.

Pretty sure everyone I've talked to from NCL absolutely loved it. My friends at QM enjoy their degree, but they don't seem as enthusiastic about it in comparison.

The modules vary significantly, too. I think QM is more theoretical, whilst NCL is more practical in terms of learning more that is applicable in the real working environment.

Thanks for this! I'd be living at home if I decide to go to QM but I'm just a bit wary because of the negative feedback their students seem to give them (based on both "statistical" evidence and the anecdotes on here). I've already had a horrific time at uni this year hence why I dropped out and reapplied, I really don't want to make the same mistake again. Newcastle is looking really attractive esp you now mentioning how more practical it is! Only issue is, I received an offer from them on the 11th through the email but Track still hasn't updated :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
I Did my foundation year at Queen mary and i must say, QM is probably one of the most overrated universities in existence.

Piss poor facilities. Dirty rooms and classes, a greatly polluted place with a large noisy construction site at every corner.

And let me not even get started about the people or the area.

How on earth this University managed to get included as part of the Russell group universities is beyond me.
Original post by wdkmwd
I Did my foundation year at Queen mary and i must say, QM is probably one of the most overrated universities in existence.

Piss poor facilities. Dirty rooms and classes, a greatly polluted place with a large noisy construction site at every corner.

How on earth this University managed to get included as part of the Russell group universities is beyond me.

Oh wow... are you still there? Are you doing Compsci now? Would you mind going into more depth? I'm super interested because my parents are convinced that I should go to QM :/
Reply 8
Oh wow... are you still there? Are you doing Compsci now? Would you mind going into more depth? I'm super interested because my parents are convinced that I should go to QM :/

Well my foundation year was in Computer science and let me just tell you, i didn't enjoy it at all. That's why Computer science at Queen Mary is ranked so poorly.

And no, I'm at King's right now.

Please notify me on how you want me to go more in depth
Original post by wdkmwd
Well my foundation year was in Computer science and let me just tell you, i didn't enjoy it at all. That's why Computer science at Queen Mary is ranked so poorly.

And no, I'm at King's right now.

Please notify me on how you want me to go more in depth

Oh okay, I was at King's doing History but I dropped out a week ago. I was initially really drawn to QM because they appear to be prestigious and credible but I've heard anecdotal stories similar to yours. How's the department like? How are the people? Do you get decent guidance at all?
Reply 10
Oh okay, I was at King's doing History but I dropped out a week ago. I was initially really drawn to QM because they appear to be prestigious and credible but I've heard anecdotal stories similar to yours. How's the department like? How are the people? Do you get decent guidance at all?

LMAO, this is quite funny. I left Queen Mary to go to King's while you left King's to go to Queen Mary Hahaha. Why would you wanna leave such a prestigious school like King's?

For Queen Mary for that matter.

Any way, the department is a joke, the tutors and lectures never answer your emails, the tutorials are useless, the only thing they care about is signing attendance and paying your tuition fees. The lectures are disgraceful, and don't even get me started with the people. The school is already located in east London which is an utter shithole, but the people are even worse. Though they do have nice restaurants near it like Roosters. My favourite thing about my time at QMUL.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by wdkmwd
LMAO, this is quite funny. I left Queen Mary to go to King's while you left King's to go to Queen Mary Hahaha. Why would you wanna leave such a prestigious school like King's?

For Queen Mary for that matter.

Any way, the department is a joke, the tutors and lectures never answer you emails, the tutorials are useless, the only thing they care about is signing attendance and paying your tuition fees. The lectures are disgraceful, and don't even get me started with the people. The school is already located in east London which is an utter shithole, but the people are even worse. Though they do have nice restaurants near it like Roosters. My favourite thing about my time at QMUL.

I know right :P I left King's because I absolutely hated History (it was a rushed decision I made on UCAS Extra and I couldn't transfer unto a different course there because I got in with ABB when they wanted AAA and most courses require AAB+). If I had gotten higher grades in different subjects I would have stayed because like you said, it is a reputable university. Ouch, now that you say that I'm not so sure about QM because I really cannot afford to have another shitty year :/
Reply 12
I know right :P I left King's because I absolutely hated History (it was a rushed decision I made on UCAS Extra and I couldn't transfer unto a different course there because I got in with ABB when they wanted AAA and most courses require AAB+). If I had gotten higher grades in different subjects I would have stayed because like you said, it is a reputable university. Ouch, now that you say that I'm not so sure about QM because I really cannot afford to have another shitty year :/

Look i know it's just a guy advising you over the internet about your future so i also urge you to go to the school on one of their crappy open days and see for yourself what I'm saying. But trust me, you'll see what I'm saying is true. The University is sooooooo overrated it's unbelievable.
Original post by wdkmwd
Look i know it's just a guy advising you over the internet about your future so i also urge you to go to the school on one of their crappy open days and see for yourself what I'm saying. But trust me, you'll see what I'm saying is true. The University is sooooooo overrated it's unbelievable.

I have been there for their Law open day (I wanted to do Law initially lol) and I didn't mind it (didn't love it esp not the area but I didn't hate it either) but the two departments are very different and I know QM have invested a ton of £££ into their Law faculty. Now that you've mentioned how bad their CS dept is I don't see myself being there anymore but I will attend their open day later this month to see it for myself (but it seems kinda pointless because they'll sugarcoat everything).
Reply 14
I have been there for their Law open day (I wanted to do Law initially lol) and I didn't mind it (didn't love it esp not the area but I didn't hate it either) but the two departments are very different and I know QM have invested a ton of £££ into their Law faculty. Now that you've mentioned how bad their CS dept is I don't see myself being there anymore but I will attend their open day later this month to see it for myself (but it seems kinda pointless because they'll sugarcoat everything).

If my aim today was to open the eyes of a prospective student from wasting his/she (not sure what your gender is lol) time and money from Queen Mary, then yes i feel fulfilled.

I'm very glad at this thread.

How is King's btw, the library the teachers and most important. The women.
Original post by wdkmwd
If my aim today was to open the eyes of a prospective student from wasting his/she (not sure what your gender is lol) time and money from Queen Mary, then yes i feel fulfilled.

I'm very glad at this thread.

How is King's btw, the library the teachers and most important. The women.

Happy you've met your goal xD Hahaha okay well the Maughan Library is okay I guess, I only know about the Humanities floor there which is okay-ish but I used to study in the SU which is a lot more friendlier/warmer (both metaphorically and physically lol). Hahahaha yeah the girls are cute! A ton of international people :tongue:
Reply 16
Happy you've met your goal xD Hahaha okay well the Maughan Library is okay I guess, I only know about the Humanities floor there which is okay-ish but I used to study in the SU which is a lot more friendlier/warmer (both metaphorically and physically lol). Hahahaha yeah the girls are cute! A ton of international people :tongue:

OK bro, or babe.

Whatever gender you are. I wish you the best of luck in your future prospects you sound intelligent, how old are you if I may ask?
Original post by wdkmwd
OK bro, or babe.

Whatever gender you are. I wish you the best of luck in your future prospects you sound intelligent, how old are you if I may ask?
haha cheers I'm a guy! And I'm 19 (turning 20 this year 😑)
Original post by wdkmwd
**** poor facilities. Dirty rooms and classes, a greatly polluted place with a large noisy construction site at every corner.

Hello, I am also applying for foundation program at Newcastle, can you tell me how hard is it for international students to get into this kind of unis? Though I have much higher grades than their requirements, I am still very worried.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending