The Student Room Group

Why do religous people have an issue with Gay marriage?

Scroll to see replies

Because their religion condemns it?
Original post by ivybridge
Well, no they don't though? All that's different between them is the damn title of ''marriage".

If their relationships are equally valid, then why do we need a separate term for homosexual 'marriages'? It implies that their love is different and less valid.
Original post by alkaline.
If you're not gonna stick by the laws of traditional marriage and the spirituality and oneness etc it's about why call it "marriage"

Why can't it just be civil partnership. You can be together and harmony and have a right to do so; and live like that it's still a union but don't call it marriage when you can't even naturally procreate. Just imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I love how people use the excuse 'gay marriage is unnatural' - how many times do you see two sparrows in the wild gathering all their sparrow friends and having a little sparrow marriage? MARRIAGE ITSELF is unnatural!

Gotta thank Dan Hardcastle (DanNerdCubed) for that analogy :smile:
Well, no they don't though? All that's different between them is the damn title of ''marriage".

The rights that come with civil partnerships are different to heterosexual marriages; if two people are in a civil partnership and one ends up in hospital, the partner will no have family rights to go and see them outside visiting hours, they will be treated as an ordinary person visiting a patient. Similarly, if that person dies, their partner has no right to inherit any of their possessions or wealth; whereas a heterosexual married couple would.
To quote Douglas Adams, there are three reasons: ignorance, stupidity and nothing else.

Insisting on a random religion marrying a same sex couple would be like insisting that say Catholics use real blood for mass. But insisting that they accept that other people can marry them is like insisting that other people's beliefs shouldn't lead to the Inquisition burning them at the stake.
Mainly because of religion. But societies are turning more and more, either towards accepting it or just not caring as much about it.
Some religions may never fully accept homosexuality, but attitudes towards homosexuality in general are much better than fifty years ago. Hopefully it won't even be an issue in another fifty years.
(edited 8 years ago)
gays should never marry and ADAM AND EVE NOT ADAM AND STEVE
Original post by Abstract_Prism
If their relationships are equally valid, then why do we need a separate term for homosexual 'marriages'? It implies that their love is different and less valid.

They are equally valid. It's a word, 'pal'. It just minuses the relgious aspect. It implies nothing more.
Original post by lewis_hawkins
gays should never marry and ADAM AND EVE NOT ADAM AND STEVE

Using this utter rubbish line loses you all credibility. Try again.
Original post by GonnaBeMyYear
The rights that come with civil partnerships are different to heterosexual marriages; if two people are in a civil partnership and one ends up in hospital, the partner will no have family rights to go and see them outside visiting hours, they will be treated as an ordinary person visiting a patient. Similarly, if that person dies, their partner has no right to inherit any of their possessions or wealth; whereas a heterosexual married couple would.

Can you prove this because I'm so sure that's not true? But of course, not 100%.
Depends on the individual, I was raised Christian and I couldn't care less.
They are equally valid. It's a word, 'pal'. It just minuses the relgious aspect. It implies nothing more.

Marriage is not an innately religious thing though. Only 1 in 3 wedding ceremonies in England and Wales have religious aspects. Did you know that?

Can you at least agree that for these non-religious ceremonies, there should be no distinction between civil partnerships and marriage?
My grandparents are ultra religious (unlike me), and i have asked myself this question many times.

I have come to the conclusion that they do not like change and are to a certain extent afraid of it. I am their religion (Catholicism) dates back thousands of years and is founded on tradition. Therefore, anything that modernises their belief system is considered a threat and thus they disagree.

That's my thoughts
using this utter rubbish line loses you all credibility. Try again.

excuse me i'm right you're wrong *******
Marriage is not an innately religious thing though. Only 1 in 3 wedding ceremonies in England and Wales have religious aspects. Did you know that?

Can you at least agree that for these non-religious ceremonies, there should be no distinction between civil partnerships and marriage?

Pal, Marriage has been coined by religion. Yes, non-religious ceremonies exist, and what? So what? They shouldn't. But they still comply with the basic principle of one man and one woman which is also religiously coined.

I'm gay myself, I hardly think we shouldn't have rights I just think civil partnerships are enough.
Original post by lewis_hawkins
excuse me i'm right you're wrong *******

Mmm, no. You use fiction to prove a point; failed.
Yes, non-religious ceremonies exist, and what? So what? They shouldn't.
?????????? People shouldn't be able to get married unless they're religious?

But they still comply with the basic principle of one man and one woman.
?????????? No they don't. Gay marriage is legal.
?????????? People shouldn't be able to get married unless they're religious?

?????????? No they don't. Gay marriage is legal.

Oh my word, you are impossible lmfao.
Oh my word, you are impossible lmfao.

Nice argument.

Golly gosh, I sure do love my inequality.
Original post by BrokenLife
I'm a Muslim but I'm not again gay marriage. In fact, I support LTGB rights. After all, its a matter of human rights. :smile:

Do you consider sexual acts of man/man or woman/woman a sin?

Quick Reply

Latest