The Student Room Group

Jordan Bans Israelis From Buying Land

Jordanian parliament passes law banning the sale of real estate in Petra to Israelis

The law differentiates between Israeli and other foreign investors, banning Israelis from renting or buying real estate in the entire Petra region.

The Jordanian Parliament has passed a law prohibiting the sale and rent of real estate in the ancient city of Petra to Israeli citizens, following increasing reports of Israelis buying land in the city, the Jordanian daily al-Rai reported Tuesday.

The law... passed on Tuesday after a contentious meeting during which many parliament members voiced strong criticism against Israel, describing it as "the enemy" and "the oppressing entity" and emphasizing that Jordan should take revenge on Israel for its violations on Temple Mount.

MP Shubki told Turkish news agency Anadolu: "Our national sovereignty is more important than foreign investments and I will work together with my colleagues in parliament to enforce the law in all the regions in Jordan and not only in Petra.

"The Zionist enemy contaminates the Palestinian territories and does not respect any international humanitarian treaty. This law is a victory for the Palestinian people and it is the least we can do for them."

Source: http://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Jordanian-parliament-passes-law-banning-the-sale-of-real-estate-in-Petra-to-Israelis-448015

Whilst they have the right to do this, I don't see how this is justifiable or how it helps the Palestinians. So much for their peace treaty with Israel?

Scroll to see replies

Selling land to Jews carries a death sentence in PA controlled areas, this is nothing new

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palestinian_land_laws
Reply 2
Original post by Mahmoud X
Selling land to Jews carries a death sentence in PA controlled areas, this is nothing new

But Palestinian land is currently occupied by Israel anyway, whereas Jordan recognise, have diplomatic relations and a peace treaty with Israel - so how are the two linked?

Also I ought to mention that the Jordanian law distinguishes between Israelis and non-Israelis, so it only targets those on the basis of their nationality, not their religion/race.
Original post by Shillary
But Palestinian land is currently occupied by Israel anyway, whereas Jordan recognise, have diplomatic relations and a peace treaty with Israel - so how are the two linked?

Also I ought to mention that the Jordanian law distinguishes between Israelis and non-Israelis, Jews are not affected (unless they are Israeli).

In theory you would hope that a Palestinian state would still allow Jews to own land after the occupation ends.
Reply 4
In theory you would hope that a Palestinian state would still allow Jews to own land after the occupation ends.

Well, perhaps understandable if not given the context of the decades-long Jewish occupation of Palestinian lands (I would have said Israeli occupation, but you seem to prefer saying Jews over Israelis)...

Going off an a tangent, but just like N/S Korea, the best way to reduce the hatred/misunderstanding is actually through joint projects and working/living among the 'other', like the Kaesong Industrial Region or Olives for Peace etc. That's why 'in theory' I think a one-state solution is the only way forward, even if it is not likely (much like the Jewish-bought land example).

But that isn't really relevant to the OP.
Well, perhaps understandable if not given the context of the decades-long Jewish occupation of Palestinian lands (I would have said Israeli occupation, but you seem to prefer saying Jews over Israelis)...

I should say Jewish-Israelis really, I say Jews because you can be Muslim, Arab and Israeli
Reply 6
I should say Jewish-Israelis really, I say Jews because you can be Muslim, Arab and Israeli

But the law I refer to in the OP does not make that distinction (between Israelis), which is why it doesn't make sense for you to do so.
But the law I refer to in the OP does not make that distinction (between Israelis), which is why it doesn't make sense for you to do so.

With regards to the PA law, it probably does work that way, that is very odd if all Israelis were banned from buying land in Jordan, as in the blanket ban applies to Arabic-Muslims who are Israeli citizens. Out of interest, do you have an idea as to how the typical Israeli buyer of land in Jordan looks? I do have my suspicions.
Reply 8
With regards to the PA law
This is about the Jordanian law, not the PA law. :angry:

it probably does work that way, that is very odd if all Israelis were banned from buying land in Jordan, as in the blanket ban applies to Arabic-Muslims who are Israeli citizens.

The JPost says "Israeli citizens", so I don't see why it would only apply to Jewish Israelis. If it did I think the JPost etc would have picked up on it.
This is about the Jordanian law, not the PA law. :angry:

Within the context of me demonstrating such a thing is nothing new in the area, the word Jewish is fairly apt

The JPost says "Israeli citizens", so I don't see why it would only apply to Jewish Israelis. If it did I think the JPost etc would have picked up on it.

Maybe they don't want wealthy Arab Israelis to enter their lands.
Reply 10
Within the context of me demonstrating such a thing is nothing new in the area, the word Jewish is fairly apt
But I already distinguished the two.

Can you give another example of a State, X, banning (specifically) those from a State Y (in terms of nationality) purchasing land from an area in X, where X and Y have full diplomatic relations?
But I already distinguished the two.

Can you give another example of a State, X, banning (specifically) those from a State Y (in terms of nationality) purchasing land from an area in X, where X and Y have full diplomatic relations?

Nothing with those specific conditions attached, I know some countries don't allow people will certain passports entering, but that would suggest they don't have diplomatic relations, I also know some countries don't allow non-citizens to own real estate, but again, doesn't apply.
Reply 12
Nothing with those specific conditions attached

Therefore the law referred to in the OP is unprecedented.

Some vile comments made in the Jordanian Parliament whilst the law was being debated, really begs the question why they have relations with Israel given the hatred they clearly harbour toward Israel/Israelis/Jews.
Therefore the law referred to in the OP is unprecedented.

Some vile comments made in the Jordanian Parliament whilst the law was being debated, really begs the question why they have relations with Israel given the hatred they clearly harbour toward Israel/Israelis/Jews.

I would imagine there is more going on behind the scenes with corruption and Arab investments, I always had the Jordanian leaders down as reasonably intelligent, the rhetoric was probably for domestic consumption
In the 1880s, the Palestinians were increasingly uncomfortable with the scores of Jews migrating and began to see Zionism as a threat. They filed complaints with the Ottoman authorities citing forced eviction and lack of livlihood (different sorry) due to the new landlords.

The ottoman turned out to be favourable to their pleas and consequently banned all land sales to foreigners in 1892.

I'm inclined to think this part of history is happening again in 2016.

https://www.addustour.com/17886/النواب+يرفض+استملاك+اليهود+لأراض+أردنية.html

Rough translations show that members of Parliament kept referring to this as a ban on the sale of land to 'Jews'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palestinian_land_laws

Its not hard to see why they dont want people selling land to Israelis when you realise how much land Israel has already illegally stolen from them.
Reply 17
Source: http://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Jordanian-parliament-passes-law-banning-the-sale-of-real-estate-in-Petra-to-Israelis-448015

Whilst they have the right to do this, I don't see how this is justifiable or how it helps the Palestinians. So much for their peace treaty with Israel?

Land laws in Israel are designed to ensure that the amount of land that Jews own in Israel remains the same. Whilst the Jewish National Fund has to now sell land to non-Jews, every time they do so, they are compensated with more land to ensure that the total amount of land that Jews own remains the same.

This policy in Jordan is essentially the reverse of that, and it is indeed a shame. Israelis should be allowed to buy land in Jordan, just as the Palestinians should not have their homes and communities dismantled in the Occupied Territories, and just as the obsession with the amount of land that Jews own in Israel is wrong.

This is in spite of the fact that there are legitimate fears on both sides. People who want to keep Israel a Jewish state understandably want to ensure that Jews own a lot of land in Israel, but land-purchases also laid the groundwork for the ethnic cleansing perpetrated against the Palestinians in 1948, so Arabs also have understandable fears.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by I_Mir
Its not hard to see why they dont want people selling land to Israelis when you realise how much land Israel has already illegally stolen from them.

How do you differential between land Jewish-Israelis have legally purchased from Arab-Israelis and stolen land?
How do you differential between land Jewish-Israelis have legally purchased from Arab-Israelis and stolen land?

The amount of land that the Israeli govt. has stolen from Palestine (any land that is outside of the boundaries agreed upon by both countries and the UN) is exponentially larger than any legally bought or sold land.

Why is Israel killing people, destroying homes and unlawfully and illegitimately taking land? And more importantly why is no one talking about it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending