The Student Room Group

Can you be racist to a White Person? (POLL)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fairy_a
LOL you clearly don't understand. Read into institutionalised racism and race relations.
Have a good weekend 💋

I understand that race relations are getting worse now that people like you are complaining about how POC are not getting jobs rather than encouraging them to get qualifications so they can get the job
I was subjected to racism as a white person. Insults such as white bitch. This happened at work for an international company. Not a thing was done or said about it.
Original post by fairy_a
Can't argue with ignorance.. Like I said you should read up more on institutionalised racism and race relations😊

Again, have a good weekend 💋💋

Have race relations gotten better or worse over the past few years?

You are ignorant of this fact and are directly responsible for why they are getting worse
Why is this even a question?
Original post by fairy_a
Comparing the working class to POC is actually quite pathetic seeing the working class struggles can be overcome. Institutionalised racism? Not so easy.

This is only have decades of fighting for the ability to do so, just as PoC have over the years. It is only relatively recently that someone of low birth could amount to anything, and this bias still stays with us today. It is completely comparable to racism.

Original post by fairy_a
What about them..?

When white minority groups are denied opportunities, are they not entitled to some kind of protection or acknowledgment?

Original post by fairy_a
If opportunities are being denied to POC are they wrong wrong for creating their own?

Yes, because it is denying another person an opportunity based entirely on their race.

Original post by fairy_a
Ok but POC are discriminated against on a disproportionate scale but yet racism is experienced by white people by a system established by white people? Boo hoo

Just because some, or even most white people benefit from other white people being in power, does not mean you can make light of times when they don't. I could just as easily and ignorantly tell you to cry me a river about the issues you are talking about.

Original post by fairy_a
Racism will clearly never be vanished but if you want to talk about it like that then it will vanish when POC are given equal opportunity and are not victims of institutionalised racism 😊

And how would you envision such a world? Equal rights for all races? Racial proportions in companies that reflect the national average?
Reply 285
Original post by fairy_a
I'm sorry but so..?

Looks like I am definetely privileged as a white person, I mean Asians being paid more than me for the same job isn't racist at all...
I better get my white cis gender heterosexual male ass out of here before my privilege is shown too brightly.

This gold and diamond seat I'm sitting on hurts by arse anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
So many unsupported claims passed off as "facts" on this thread.
Original post by WBZ144
So many unsupported claims passed off as "facts" on this thread.

Have I made any claim which you would like evidence of?
Original post by PrincePauls5777
No a black person can not be systematically racist to a white person.

Although a black person in an authority position can discriminate against a white person, this kind of thing rarely happens because,

A) such persons are still statistically rare relative to whites in authority

B) In virtually all cases, there are authorities above those black people who are white, and who would not stand for such actions

C) Even in cases where a black person sits atop a power structure (as with President Obama), he is not truly free to do anything to oppress or marginalize white people (even were he so inclined), given his own need to attract white support in order to win election or pass any of his policy agenda.

There are no institutional structures in the U.K. in which black people exercise final and controlling authority: not in the school systems, labour market, justice system, housing markets, financial markets, or media.

As such, the ability of black folks to oppress white people simply does not exist.

Having said that, it is certainly true that in other countries, black people could have power sufficient to discriminate against whites. Although even racism to whites in places like Ghana, Nigeria or the Caribbean is somewhat limited by the reality of global economics and the desire for good relations with the West,

Well done in not knowing what racism actually is.
No a black person can not be systematically racist to a white person.

That, of course, was not the question. The question was, can a black person be racist to a white person. You obsession with a single agenda has clouded your reading ability, I fear.

Although a black person in an authority position can discriminate against a white person, this kind of thing rarely happens because,

As such, the ability of black folks to oppress white people simply does not exist.

You went from "it rarely happens" to "it doesnt happen".

Racism and discriminations isn't some grand affair where the person in question declares to the world their intention to discriminate. But it is instead more subtle, choosing people of particular races over those of others in various circumstances. When a racist is interviewing a candidate for example, they don't provide feedback to those making the decision with a comment akin to "they're black, don't hire them", but will rather give negative comments about them without explaining why they think they have those traits, possibly not even fully understanding it themselves.

So anyone that is racist will have their racism come out in subtle ways throughout their lives, which is where the discrimination (in the modern world anyway) happens, which happens at the level of the individual, be it the head of the company or the person working your till.
Original post by Good bloke
That, of course, was not the question. The question was, can a black person be racist to a white person. You obsession with a single agenda has clouded your reading ability, I fear.

Racism is a system and unless you control systems then you can't really practice racism

If you want to argue that black people can be racist, then what you are really talking about is name calling. That's it and white people have a system to slap that black person down should they get called to many name.

Plus - What name can a black person call a white person to really get under this skin ? Honky ? Whitey ? ....Yeah right.
Racism is a system and unless you control systems then you can't really practice racism

If you want to argue that black people can be racist, then what you are really talking about is name calling. That's it and white people have a system to slap that black person down should they get called to many name.

Plus - What name can a black person call a white person to really get under this skin ? Honky ? Whitey ? ....Yeah right.

"the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races."

Nothing to do with systems or anything else, learn the definition of words before you use them.
Original post by joecphillips
"the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races."

Nothing to do with systems or anything else, learn the definition of words before you use them.

You confusing ideology with actions.

When you say "the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races." Then that deals with motive and intentions, which are largely a matter of guesswork. Instead of words and actions, which are not.

People like you know this and derail conversations about their words and actions into those about their inner state, which you know no-one can ever win.

I make racism about what you do, not what you believe.

When a thief takes your money you run after him not to tell him he is a thief but to get your money back.

Racism is not like tonsils were you either have it or you do not. Racism is more like dental hygiene, something you have to work at every day.Why ? Because you are constantly being hit with racist messages every day and unless you keep fighting against it, it will make you more and more racist over time.
All the ones who claim it can't happen on this thread are stupid.
You confusing ideology with actions.

When you say "the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races." Then that deals with motive and intentions, which are largely a matter of guesswork. Instead of words and actions, which are not.

People like you know this and derail conversations about their words and actions into those about their inner state, which you know no-one can ever win.

I make racism about what you do, not what you believe.

When a thief takes your money you run after him not to tell him he is a thief but to get your money back.

Racism is not like tonsils were you either have it or you do not. Racism is more like dental hygiene, something you have to work at every day.Why ? Because you are constantly being hit with racist messages every day and unless you keep fighting against it, it will make you more and more racist over time.

What I posted is the definition what you post is the definition you want so you can live in your little bubble of victimhood to blame others for things you are responsible for.

You don't make it into words and actions you make it into this group can never do anything wrong, you said name calling isn't racist and it doesn't matter if a black person says anything anyway because the victim is white
(edited 8 years ago)
What I posted is the definition what you post is the definition

What you posted was an ideology

All I care about is the actions.

you want so you can live in your little bubble of victimhood to blame others for things you are responsible for.

Shaming tactics don't work with me son.

Secondly on TSR white people love to talk about how they are victims of taxes, big government, immigrants, ISIS, reverse discrimination, “radical Islam,” you name it. White people love victim-hood, so long as they’re the ones who get to choose which victims count.

To tell my nephew and younger brother that they can be anything they want to be if they try hard enough is nice, but unless I warn them about the obstacles in their path. I'm ill-suiting them for the real world.

I'm doing them no favours. In fact, downplaying racism backfires. After all, if they are led to believe that there are no obstacles in their way, and that their hard work, intelligence and ability are all that will matter, they might slack up.

They might coast on the assumption that surely all will recognize their potential, and that they won’t have to go that extra mile to make a good impression. They may overestimate the extent to which whites will recognize their effort and hard work,

On the other hand, by discussing those obstacles honestly(and discussing individual and collective strategies of resistance to them) persons who are the targets of racism can steel themselves against the headwinds in their way.
(edited 8 years ago)

If you want to argue that black people can be racist, then what you are really talking about is name calling.

No. Racism is a human failing - prejudice based purely on skin colour, and the actions that follow from it. Your addition of a system to the definition brings it into politics, and racism is encountered outside that sphere far more often.

It isn't just name calling, anyway. The actions that arise from racism can include bullying and assault, and apply to people of all colours.

You really need to get rid of the chip on your shoulder and start doing something constructive.
LOL? white boy/girl as an insult can be no way compared at all to the n-word, white people weren't kidnapped from their home lands in the millions,raped and forced to carry out unpaid labour whilst their opressors were have a good ol' time shouting white girls/boys at them.

Quick Reply

Latest