The Student Room Group

GAMSAT 2016 (2017 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ishleen
When does everyone start studying for the GAMSAT in September 2016 ?? Feel like everyone is talking about a different test. I have only just started looking at GAMSAT so apologies for my ignorance .. Advise regarding preparation welcome xx

Now is a good time to start studying, to be honest. Those of us taking the exam this Saturday will probably start studying again - if we are retaking - around May.

Posted from TSR Mobile
40% for both section I and III :argh: So little time to improve
Original post by KoalaBoar
40% for both section I and III :argh: So little time to improve

Which paper is this for?
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
Which paper is this for?

The red/orangey paper. The blue looks much more straightforward, hopefully doing that one tomorrow.
The red/orangey paper. The blue looks much more straightforward, hopefully doing that one tomorrow.

I got 30% for the blue one.
48% for the red one.
Not finished with the green one yet but for S3 I've got 71% so far. Half way through marking S3

I'm really worried at how skewed my scores have been.
I got 30% for the blue one.
48% for the red one.
Not finished with the green one yet but for S3 I've got 71% so far. Half way through marking S3

I'm really worried at how skewed my scores have been.

I've not even looked at the green one yet. Left all my revision too late, so not expecting to do well. I'm amazed at how people are able to score above 60 and 70.
I've not even looked at the green one yet. Left all my revision too late, so not expecting to do well. I'm amazed at how people are able to score above 60 and 70.

I started studying around August so I've been doing this for a while but my science is still pretty shaky.

I'm quite happy so far but I didn't allocate my time well enough during S3 so the 2nd half probably won't be as good.
I started studying around August so I've been doing this for a while but my science is still pretty shaky.

I'm quite happy so far but I didn't allocate my time well enough during S3 so the 2nd half probably won't be as good.

I did bio and chem at A-Level and physics at GCSE, and I'd sau section III is at about that level and I'm comfortable with it. But the other stuff about philosophy and poems goes right over my head. I do a lot of wide reading for my course, and I'm hoping that at least that will be helpful in the exam.
Many people think, as do I, that the purple book is the closest representation of the exam.
I did bio and chem at A-Level and physics at GCSE, and I'd sau section III is at about that level and I'm comfortable with it. But the other stuff about philosophy and poems goes right over my head. I do a lot of wide reading for my course, and I'm hoping that at least that will be helpful in the exam.

Oh okay. I did AS Bio and Chem but got an E in Chem and a C in Bio. And then proceeded to drop them both. But I never studied and bunked half my lessons back then.

Original post by Es0phagus
Many people think, as do I, that the purple book is the closest representation of the exam.

And thanks to Sods Law that is the one paper I haven't attempted. Don't even think I'm going to have time to do it. Might glance over it. Would that provide any help or no?
In the exam are we allowed to write on the question booklet, say to underline key terms in section one passages for example.

Posted from TSR Mobile
And thanks to Sods Law that is the one paper I haven't attempted. Don't even think I'm going to have time to do it. Might glance over it. Would that provide any help or no?
I think exposing yourself to all the different ways a question might be posed is always beneficial.

Original post by pharma21
In the exam are we allowed to write on the question booklet, say to underline key terms in section one passages for example.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes.
57% in the green paper. My performance declined sharply in the second half of S3. Up until about q50 I had an average of 70% lol
Hi everyone. I'm thinking of taking the GAMSAT in September, depending on my UKCAT result. I'm gonna look at GAMSAT stuff but basically I will have 6 weeks between the UKCAT & GAMSAT to study. Based on what you are saying it seems like this isn't enough, but my degree is medical microbiology and is very heavy in chemistry and biology so I feel like I shouldn't need too much revision for those sections? Physics will be my hardest, and I did very well in English in secondary education so I feel I'm set up well for sections 1 and 2? I'm not sure 😁
Original post by MedicalElleWoods
Hi everyone. I'm thinking of taking the GAMSAT in September, depending on my UKCAT result. I'm gonna look at GAMSAT stuff but basically I will have 6 weeks between the UKCAT & GAMSAT to study. Based on what you are saying it seems like this isn't enough, but my degree is medical microbiology and is very heavy in chemistry and biology so I feel like I shouldn't need too much revision for those sections? Physics will be my hardest, and I did very well in English in secondary education so I feel I'm set up well for sections 1 and 2? I'm not sure 😁

That's what I'm planning too. And depending on what I've read here it looks that 6 weeks won't be enough. When are you starting prep for UKCAT ??

My degree is physiotherapy so biology should be fine but will need some input for physics and chemistry .. Thinking of getting the GAMSAT book to prepare for all
Hi guys, doing the GAMSAT this saturday so good luck to everyone! Haven't had much time to study so this is going to be an interesting test... Anyways, during the reading time allocated to each section, are you allowed to write on the test paper? Or is it during this time no one is allowed to hold pen/pencil at all?
Original post by Captain127
Hi guys, doing the GAMSAT this saturday so good luck to everyone! Haven't had much time to study so this is going to be an interesting test... Anyways, during the reading time allocated to each section, are you allowed to write on the test paper? Or is it during this time no one is allowed to hold pen/pencil at all?
You cannot hold a pen/pencil -- you can only read. Check your email, everyone should have received the instructions. Some people (I am not endorsing this) use their nails to mark answers during this period. If you get caught doing anything dodgy (e.g. the aforementioned), I do not know what the penalties are.

Doing a practise paper is really the only way to tell which areas you need work on.
(edited 8 years ago)
On our tickets it says Document number. Does anyone know what this would be for a passport?

If your biology and chemistry are strong, especially graph interpreting and organic chemistry, you might be able to get away with 6 weeks. I'd recommend doing as many past papers as you can in that time because you have the knowledge, you just won't have familiarity with the test style (which takes a little getting used to in order to do it fast).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending