The Student Room Group

How to stop procrastinating...

Looking for some advice.

During A levels I was so disciplined with revision. I started revising months in advance for my exams and when it came to it, I'd set a timer and get through a day's revision no problem.

I find that since I've started university, I get boosts of motivation but these are rare. I love the course I'm doing but there's things going on in my personal life that keep distracting me so I end up trailing off into my own thoughts when I should be studying. I also have an operation coming up after exams but I really just want to put the thought of it to one side and focus on what's important. I mean, exams are in early May so there's no time to waste!

So, what do you guys do when you find yourself procrastinating?
Original post by Hanya Pouncey
Looking for some advice.

During A levels I was so disciplined with revision. I started revising months in advance for my exams and when it came to it, I'd set a timer and get through a day's revision no problem.

I find that since I've started university, I get boosts of motivation but these are rare. I love the course I'm doing but there's things going on in my personal life that keep distracting me so I end up trailing off into my own thoughts when I should be studying. I also have an operation coming up after exams but I really just want to put the thought of it to one side and focus on what's important. I mean, exams are in early May so there's no time to waste!

Hi

If you've been studying pretty much non-stop since starting school, there may be an element of mental fatigue.

Try and set yourself a time that is manageable. For example, if you say that you're going to revise all day, it may not happen. If you say that you will revise for a couple of hours in the morning then do something leisurely in the afternoon, it may be more realistic. Start with what you can manage, then gradually increase the time.

Finding alternative venues to revise (university library / local library / coffee shop that offers WIFI) may also help. If you say that you will go to one venue, do up to e.g. 2 hours revision, then move to another venue, it breaks up the day.

Although you need to do a lot of studying, having rest / social / leisure activities are important too. Give yourself something to look forward to later in the day, and I'd also recommend a cut-off point (e.g. 6pm) so that you don't feel guilty when you're not studying.

Good luck!!
Reply 2
Original post by M.C. Math
Hi

If you've been studying pretty much non-stop since starting school, there may be an element of mental fatigue.

Try and set yourself a time that is manageable. For example, if you say that you're going to revise all day, it may not happen. If you say that you will revise for a couple of hours in the morning then do something leisurely in the afternoon, it may be more realistic. Start with what you can manage, then gradually increase the time.

Finding alternative venues to revise (university library / local library / coffee shop that offers WIFI) may also help. If you say that you will go to one venue, do up to e.g. 2 hours revision, then move to another venue, it breaks up the day.

Although you need to do a lot of studying, having rest / social / leisure activities are important too. Give yourself something to look forward to later in the day, and I'd also recommend a cut-off point (e.g. 6pm) so that you don't feel guilty when you're not studying.

Good luck!!

Very good advice !
Original post by Tank Girl

I think 5 seconds is a bit extreme! I would probably end up typing hello hello hello just to keep up with my brain trying to process what I was writing and what I was actually supposed to be answering!
Original post by Lemur14
I think 5 seconds is a bit extreme! I would probably end up typing hello hello hello just to keep up with my brain trying to process what I was writing and what I was actually supposed to be answering!

I agree. 5 seconds is a bit too extreme, but in principle I think the idea would work- maybe just lengthen the time a bit!
When I'm procrastinating, I like to make a timetable of the things I need to do but leave enough time so that my goals for the study session are realistic enough :smile: good luck with your exams!
I agree. 5 seconds is a bit too extreme, but in principle I think the idea would work- maybe just lengthen the time a bit!

And the work should be retrievable. There's nothing less motivating than your work being deleted!
Reply 8
Looking for some advice.

Just try and do at least one piece of academic reading every day, is my advice.
Reply 9
Original post by M.C. Math
Hi

Good luck!!

Thank you so much for this!! Yes, I think you're right.

Mixing up the locations sounds like a great idea as well as the cut-off point! Because as you said, I'm left feeling guilty if I don't work until late at night.

We finally got our exam timetables yesterday and I think the uncertainty of not knowing when they'd be was leaving me a bit on edge, but with these tips I'll going to try my best to get back on track :smile:

Good luck to you too if you have any upcoming exams :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Christie_xx
When I'm procrastinating, I like to make a timetable of the things I need to do but leave enough time so that my goals for the study session are realistic enough :smile: good luck with your exams!

So do you set a time limit of when that timetable of 'things to do' has to be done by? Yeah! Sometimes we can be a tad ambitious and unrealistic :tongue: so it's about finding that balance.

Thank you!! You too!
Reply 11

This is next level savage :tongue: gaaaah how frustrating!!
Looking for some advice.

Screenshot_2016-03-16-22-17-16.png

I just got this app after hearing about it for ages. It basically keeps you focused for half an hour (growing a little tree) and you cant go and procrastinate on your phone or you lose the tree. Strange but it's oddly rewarding especially if you often procrastinate with your phone.
So do you set a time limit of when that timetable of 'things to do' has to be done by? Yeah! Sometimes we can be a tad ambitious and unrealistic :tongue: so it's about finding that balance.

Thank you!! You too!

I usually set a time frame like 4:30-5:30 for each thing on the timetable :h: that's so true, I always underestimate how long things take and it's so stressful! It's always good to allow yourself some extra time :biggrin: thank you!
Reply 14
Original post by Charlotte.13
Screenshot_2016-03-16-22-17-16.png

I just got this app after hearing about it for ages. It basically keeps you focused for half an hour (growing a little tree) and you cant go and procrastinate on your phone or you lose the tree. Strange but it's oddly rewarding especially if you often procrastinate with your phone.

Wow thanks for sharing!! Just downloaded it :smile: and 30 mins is perfect to take a mini break and start again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending