The Student Room Group

Resitting GCSE Maths again, need a C for nursing degree

Please help! I have always been absolutely terrible at Maths. I'm revising at home currently, using Bitesize, my EdExcel revision guide, and various websites such as Maths is Fun.

I've resat a few times now, most recently in 2014 when I had unfortunately just started my first care job in domiciliary care, so (literally, I don't drive) running 80 hour working weeks and Maths revision did not make a good combination sadly.

I'm resitting in May & June the newish OCR Maths B Foundation spec, and I swear to God some of the topics on it I've never seen before in my natural life! I'm only 23, have GCSEs really changed that much?

I already have a degree in English Lit & Creative Writing and good GCSEs and A-Levels other than Maths, so I wasn't allowed to do an access, and my nursing universities no longer accept Key/Functional Skills L2, which is fair enough because it's considerably easier than GCSE.

I think I had a good interview at my top choice, Northumbria, and if my maths stupidity is all that stops me becoming a nurse I will be heartbroken.

Please share your revision tips (preferably free, I am absolutely skint!), if I get in for nursing all my offers will be conditional upon achieving a C in Maths.
Original post by ladyspork
Please help! I have always been absolutely terrible at Maths. I'm revising at home currently, using Bitesize, my EdExcel revision guide, and various websites such as Maths is Fun.

I've resat a few times now, most recently in 2014 when I had unfortunately just started my first care job in domiciliary care, so (literally, I don't drive) running 80 hour working weeks and Maths revision did not make a good combination sadly.

I'm resitting in May & June the newish OCR Maths B Foundation spec, and I swear to God some of the topics on it I've never seen before in my natural life! I'm only 23, have GCSEs really changed that much?

I already have a degree in English Lit & Creative Writing and good GCSEs and A-Levels other than Maths, so I wasn't allowed to do an access, and my nursing universities no longer accept Key/Functional Skills L2, which is fair enough because it's considerably easier than GCSE.

I think I had a good interview at my top choice, Northumbria, and if my maths stupidity is all that stops me becoming a nurse I will be heartbroken.

Please share your revision tips (preferably free, I am absolutely skint!), if I get in for nursing all my offers will be conditional upon achieving a C in Maths.

Hey there!

Here's some tips for your Maths GCSE: All I can say is past paper questions. Only start doing the past paper questions once you are sure you have covered every topic.

Work through the ExamSolutions videos if you ever feel you feel like you are stuck on any section

Feel free to post in the TSR GCSE Maths Forum if you are unsure about something (make sure provide the question and what you have already done)

Do every single past paper

Mark your papers and see where you have gone wrong

Look to do IGCSE papers once you have done all of the GCSE ones

You can always use the TSR Study Resources, pretty helpful revision material on there. Also there is a very useful Study Planner on TSR which you may use, if you find that timetables are something you don't stick to then make a list of things to do per day/week and tick it off as you go along.

Hope this helps.
Reply 2
Original post by undercxver
Hey there!

Here's some tips for your Maths GCSE: All I can say is past paper questions. Only start doing the past paper questions once you are sure you have covered every topic.

Work through the ExamSolutions videos if you ever feel you feel like you are stuck on any section

Feel free to post in the TSR GCSE Maths Forum if you are unsure about something (make sure provide the question and what you have already done)

Do every single past paper

Mark your papers and see where you have gone wrong

Look to do IGCSE papers once you have done all of the GCSE ones

You can always use the TSR Study Resources, pretty helpful revision material on there. Also there is a very useful Study Planner on TSR which you may use, if you find that timetables are something you don't stick to then make a list of things to do per day/week and tick it off as you go along.

Hope this helps.

thank you so much :smile:!
Reply 3

Practice, practice, practice. Past papers are really good especially.
You can get a c in maths just make sure you know how to answer all the questions. I really recommend examsolutions to help you, since I'm doing a level maths I have used him lots and he makes everything simpler in my opinion.
Good luck with it
MathsWatch really helped me get that A* and the constant use of Past Papers was also helpful
Original post by D3VST4R
MathsWatch really helped me get that A* and the constant use of Past Papers was also helpful

how do you use the past papers?
like how do you fill them out?
Reply 6
Original post by KyleH123

Using past exam papers from previous years they meant.
Original post by chikane
Using past exam papers from previous years they meant.

yea i got that part, so you just look at the past papers or print them out or what?
Reply 8
yea i got that part, so you just look at the past papers or print them out or what?

Well when i was at school we used to print them off online (can't remember where from maybe from the edexcel website?) or our teachers handed us copies and the answers and work through it.

You can complete past papers by having the question paper displaying on your screen and answer it like that or print them off. I'd advise the latter, primarily because of the graph, loci, construction questions etc.
Nursing really is quite mathematical. Not trying to be rude but it does always require decent mathematical proficiency and if you're not at the C grade Maths standard at even GCSE I'm not sure if it really is for you tbh.
Original post by TheGrammarGuru
Nursing really is quite mathematical. Not trying to be rude but it does always require decent mathematical proficiency and if you're not at the C grade Maths standard at even GCSE I'm not sure if it really is for you tbh.

I know in one of the modules for Nursing is drug calculations and you need to get 100% to pass, i would have retook maths while i was at school rather then years later.

I don't understand what you mean?

What I did back then in Y8 was make sure I knew the whole course. As in, I went through the whole book to see if I was missing any topic. I would use the specification sheet if I was you, if there is any off course. I then did the Past Paper doing all the questions I could. Do not worry about timed conditions on your first few, just focus on answering as much as you can.

After doing this, correct it with the mark scheme and revisit the topics you had difficulties in or missed out. Next do some practice questions for these and re-do another paper. Rinse and repeat until your 4th-5th one or until you are confident enough to do it under timed conditions. Hope this helps :smile:
Hi everyone,I am thinking of doing Functional Skills Level 2 Maths as it's the only subject I need to get into Uni please could you share your thoughts if you have experience or know of a situation regarding the following :

Is is worth doing Functional skills level 2 maths
Reply 14
Original post by Raven008
Hi everyone,I am thinking of doing Functional Skills Level 2 Maths as it's the only subject I need to get into Uni please could you share your thoughts if you have experience or know of a situation regarding the following :

Is is worth doing Functional skills level 2 maths

It depends what subject you want to do, a few of the unis no longer accept alternative maths qualifications for certain things, definitely look into it before applying or doing FS Level 2. I know the wide majority of nursing, allied health etc courses no longer accept Functional Skills.
It depends what subject you want to do, a few of the unis no longer accept alternative maths qualifications for certain things, definitely look into it before applying or doing FS Level 2. I know the wide majority of nursing, allied health etc courses no longer accept Functional Skills.

I have my nursing qualification and post qualification but would like to take it a step further and was told to to functional maths as an alternative as it is a requirement "now" this may change by next year

Quick Reply

Latest