The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

anyone here done a 50:70 credit split at uni?

The modules I want to take mean I'd be doing this next year, but I'm worried that it will affect my grades. Has anyone else done it, and how did you find it? As I'd only have 50 credits in the first semester, is it worth reading ahead so that I have less work to do for the 70 credit second semester?
I did a 70:50 split in my first year, how hard it is depends on the modules you're taking really. Doing only 5 exams felt like heaven but having 7 modules in one semester meant I'd no free time - if you're into societies and have a job then I wouldn't recommend it. One of the 7 I did was a group module which made it slightly easier but if you're stuck with a sucky group you end up doing their work as well as yours. Unless reading ahead on a module would help your current modules I wouldn't bother, it might distract you from your current studies, especially since exams are right after the winter holidays in semester 1. If you really want to do those modules though just go for it, it's your degree and if you can take staying in over going out a lot then you shouldn't have too much of an issue :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by dezza156
I did a 70:50 split in my first year, how hard it is depends on the modules you're taking really. Doing only 5 exams felt like heaven but having 7 modules in one semester meant I'd no free time - if you're into societies and have a job then I wouldn't recommend it. One of the 7 I did was a group module which made it slightly easier but if you're stuck with a sucky group you end up doing their work as well as yours. Unless reading ahead on a module would help your current modules I wouldn't bother, it might distract you from your current studies, especially since exams are right after the winter holidays in semester 1. If you really want to do those modules though just go for it, it's your degree and if you can take staying in over going out a lot then you shouldn't have too much of an issue :smile:

That is really useful! Well, I am doing a language degree, German and Chinese are my core modules which I have to do, that makes up 60 credits. Then for my other 60 I pick 3 20 credit modules. The one I reaaaally want to do is German History, but that is only in semester 2. So I have several choices;

1) pick all the modules I would enjoy the most- that is beginners dutch, German literature and German History. This leaves me with a 50:70 credit split but I will enjoy all my modules.

2) swap dutch or literature for Chinese Culture, which is only in semester one. This would give me a 60/60 split, so I will have less pressure in Semester 2. But I am reluctant to take Chinese Culture, first of all because it means dropping literature or not being about to do dutch. Secondly, and most importantly, I don't know if I will enjoy it. I do chinese Culture this year an it is soooo dull! But we have a rubbish lecturer, and we will have a different lecturer next year. But it is a risk, because I don't know how much of the dullness comes from the subject itself and how much is the lecturer. And 20 credits in one semester is quite intense for a subject I may not like.

3) my least favourite option- not do History. But I reaaally love it an would be so disappointed if I don't do it, especially if it is for such a silly reason as credit splits.

At the minute, option 1 seems like my favourite. I am thinking of what I can do in semester 1 to make semester 2 easier. During semester 1, I could aim to get all my study done in 4-4 1/2 days, leaving a full day/ day and a half to "preread" for semester 2. In this time I could:
1) research the topics that would be covered in History. There are 10 topics covered in the module so if I know the basics and learn key dates/important people already then I can go into S2 only needing to learn the details to get my knowledge from basic to uni standard.
2) preread the novels for German literature. Obviously I would need to read them again in S2 to refresh my mind but if I have already read them once then I can read them quicker a second time round.
3) spend time improving my language skills. If I can get reaally good at my core modules during the semester, by doing writing and comprehension exercises, then I can give myself more slack during S2 when I will constantly have lots of work to do, and then can just do the bare minimum for my language modules.

I have also looked at what my exam timetable would be like for S2; I would have exams/orals for the 3 language modules, mid semester essays for Chinese, 2000 word essay for lit, 3000 word essay for history and A mid semester history presentation. Then I would probably get most of the essays done over the 1 month break easter holidays, plus get basic revision done. Then when I get back after easter I would make finishing touches on essays and focus more on exams.

Sorry for the long post, but what do you think? Does this sound attainable or am I putting too high expectations on myself?
Reply 3
Original post by schmuur
The modules I want to take mean I'd be doing this next year, but I'm worried that it will affect my grades. Has anyone else done it, and how did you find it? As I'd only have 50 credits in the first semester, is it worth reading ahead so that I have less work to do for the 70 credit second semester?

do you mean like doubling up modules ie two at once?
Reply 4
Original post by shawtyb
do you mean like doubling up modules ie two at once?

I mean I will take 120 credits like everyone else, but one of these modules (worth 20 credits) will be taught only in semester 2, so I would have the same amount of work to do in only half the time. Does that make more sense?
Reply 5
Original post by schmuur
I mean I will take 120 credits like everyone else, but one of these modules (worth 20 credits) will be taught only in semester 2, so I would have the same amount of work to do in only half the time. Does that make more sense?

no haha
Original post by schmuur
That is really useful! Well, I am doing a language degree, German and Chinese are my core modules which I have to do, that makes up 60 credits. Then for my other 60 I pick 3 20 credit modules. The one I reaaaally want to do is German History, but that is only in semester 2. So I have several choices;

1) pick all the modules I would enjoy the most- that is beginners dutch, German literature and German History. This leaves me with a 50:70 credit split but I will enjoy all my modules.

2) swap dutch or literature for Chinese Culture, which is only in semester one. This would give me a 60/60 split, so I will have less pressure in Semester 2. But I am reluctant to take Chinese Culture, first of all because it means dropping literature or not being about to do dutch. Secondly, and most importantly, I don't know if I will enjoy it. I do chinese Culture this year an it is soooo dull! But we have a rubbish lecturer, and we will have a different lecturer next year. But it is a risk, because I don't know how much of the dullness comes from the subject itself and how much is the lecturer. And 20 credits in one semester is quite intense for a subject I may not like.

3) my least favourite option- not do History. But I reaaally love it an would be so disappointed if I don't do it, especially if it is for such a silly reason as credit splits.

At the minute, option 1 seems like my favourite. I am thinking of what I can do in semester 1 to make semester 2 easier. During semester 1, I could aim to get all my study done in 4-4 1/2 days, leaving a full day/ day and a half to "preread" for semester 2. In this time I could:
1) research the topics that would be covered in History. There are 10 topics covered in the module so if I know the basics and learn key dates/important people already then I can go into S2 only needing to learn the details to get my knowledge from basic to uni standard.
2) preread the novels for German literature. Obviously I would need to read them again in S2 to refresh my mind but if I have already read them once then I can read them quicker a second time round.
3) spend time improving my language skills. If I can get reaally good at my core modules during the semester, by doing writing and comprehension exercises, then I can give myself more slack during S2 when I will constantly have lots of work to do, and then can just do the bare minimum for my language modules.

I have also looked at what my exam timetable would be like for S2; I would have exams/orals for the 3 language modules, mid semester essays for Chinese, 2000 word essay for lit, 3000 word essay for history and A mid semester history presentation. Then I would probably get most of the essays done over the 1 month break easter holidays, plus get basic revision done. Then when I get back after easter I would make finishing touches on essays and focus more on exams.

Sorry for the long post, but what do you think? Does this sound attainable or am I putting too high expectations on myself?

If you're really into it and you're smart (like high 2:1 / first) then I'd say go for it - I have a friend who does german with linguistics and she absolutely loves the dutch module (I also find it interesting to glance over). If you're finding Chinese culture boring and love History then do the 50:70 split (as long as your module leader allows it obviously). If you're not 'that smart' i.e. low 2.1 or lower, I'd suggest not doing the split as it'll make it harder for you to improve your marks to get a decent degree.
Reply 7
Original post by shawtyb
no haha

I litteraly can't think of any other way to explain it, sorry!!

Original post by dezza156
If you're really into it and you're smart (like high 2:1 / first) then I'd say go for it - I have a friend who does german with linguistics and she absolutely loves the dutch module (I also find it interesting to glance over). If you're finding Chinese culture boring and love History then do the 50:70 split (as long as your module leader allows it obviously). If you're not 'that smart' i.e. low 2.1 or lower, I'd suggest not doing the split as it'll make it harder for you to improve your marks to get a decent degree.

I don't know how smart I am- that's all relative! I have only had one exam period at uni at my grades so far would average maybe a low 2:1. But it is first year, I'm still getting used to the uni system and my grades are likely to change! How do you find second year grades compared to first? did you do better once you were settled and familiar with the exam system/essays? or did it not make much difference?

Saying that, even though I'm not top of the class, I can be super motivated! I could work 9-6 (with appropriate breaks!) from monday-saturday if I needed to to get work done.
Reply 8
Original post by schmuur
I litteraly can't think of any other way to explain it, sorry!!

haha its ok, im to dumb to understand lol
Reply 9
Original post by shawtyb
haha its ok, im to dumb to understand lol

I doubt your dumb! counting credits and choosing modules at uni is just a confusing system haha, your probably just less familiar with how my uni does this thing!
Original post by schmuur
I doubt your dumb! counting credits and choosing modules at uni is just a confusing system haha, your probably just less familiar with how my uni does this thing!

prob lol espesh as i do mine online

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending