The Student Room Group

good enough uni/course for investment banking? HELP please

Is Economics (L100) at Sheffield good enough for getting into investment banking (hypothetically, and if one were to build up a great CV)
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think better choice is to reapply next year when you have your full A level grades and it also gives you some time to get relevant work experience that will likely be appreciated when you are applying for spring and summer internships.
Edited my post to simplify the question and not bore anyone with the extra details (and hopefully get more replies)
-if anyone wants to know the full story just check the edit history of the original post
(edited 8 years ago)
You would probably need to have something else going for you to get to that 1st round interview. So a 1st on your course/relevant work exp at an IB etc, something that makes you stand out slightly more than the rest. The brand name of Sheffield, whilst still being a good Uni, isn't the kind of name which gets the IB recruitment teams excited over.
Original post by Fas
You would probably need to have something else going for you to get to that 1st round interview. So a 1st on your course/relevant work exp at an IB etc, something that makes you stand out slightly more than the rest. The brand name of Sheffield, whilst still being a good Uni, isn't the kind of name which gets the IB recruitment teams excited over.

Would it be doable then if i worked my ass off on the course and attempted to gain work exp over every summer for the 3 years? would hate to have to wait till next year to reapply for a better 'brand name'
Reply 5
Original post by Economics-newb
Would it be doable then if i worked my ass off on the course and attempted to gain work exp over every summer for the 3 years? would hate to have to wait till next year to reapply for a better 'brand name'

it is certainly doable. But I still think you have way better shot at reapplying to a "target" next year and using this time in between to get relevant work experience in financial sector. It would really stand out on your spring/summer applications if you already have 6-12 months of relevant experience prior to uni (and also you will earn some money that will make uni life better :smile: ).

Yep, absolutely. No Investment Bank is going to turn down a good application, regardless of which Uni you go to, just a case that they'll look more seriously at applications from target Uni's. If you can get involved in plenty of EC's, perform strongly on your course, and get some relevant work experience, you'll be in the competition.

Definitely try and land a Spring Week if you can, having one of those on your CV will make you stand out tremendously.
I imagine getting financial work experience would be pretty tough with just A-levels though. I also feel turning down the offer would be a gamble if dont get the grades i hope for.. think ill be driving myself mad over this one for the next week

hundreds students will do the exact same thing you do and opt for the easier option
Is Economics (L100) at Sheffield good enough for getting into investment banking (hypothetically, and if one were to build up a great CV)

Yes. My friend landed SWs at BAML, Nomura and BNP Paribas doing exactly that course at that uni.

However, if you have the grades, I'd try to aim higher if you can; it's certainly not the end of the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I imagine getting financial work experience would be pretty tough with just A-levels though. I also feel turning down the offer would be a gamble if dont get the grades i hope for.. think ill be driving myself mad over this one for the next week

It's not too bad. You need to have the guts to cold call places though.

If you don't want to reapply, it's certainly possible to get into banking from Sheffield. As has been said before, keep plugging away at ECs, find some work experience, write your applications with care and consideration, try to get leadership positions/positions of responsibility whilst at uni and definitely join the investment fund. There's actually a girl (who was part of the investment fund) that landed a full time markets position at JPM this year.

Afaik, your competition from Sheffield itself will be minimal as the students there are generally geared towards the Big4 as opposed to IBanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it a front office role you're interested in?
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Is it a front office role you're interested in?

Not necessarily- but might aswell aim as high as possible, and am interested in it mostly for the money
Not necessarily- but might aswell aim as high as possible, and am interested in it mostly for the money

Try saying that when you're churning through 70-100 hours a week, or when you're getting annihilated by the markets, or when you have to go out with a client for the 50th time. Money shouldn't be the sole driver behind your decision or you won't last.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Yes. My friend landed SWs at BAML, Nomura and BNP Paribas doing exactly that course at that uni.

However, if you have the grades, I'd try to aim higher if you can; it's certainly not the end of the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile

im pretty certain looking at entry requirements of top 5, or top 10 unis i can meet the requirements. The issue this time round was i am self-taught (no tutors or anything) and have no predicted grades to back me up. I got the offer at sheffield based on explaining how in 2 months of self-teaching new subjects and a new syllabus i got BBC in the 3 subjects im carrying forwards (Eng/history/econ) and will have several times the amount of time to prepare for the second half of exams (i sat the AS in October having made the decision to study under a british exam board in august)

The other 4 unis i applied to didn't seem as convinced
im pretty certain looking at entry requirements of top 5, or top 10 unis i can meet the requirements. The issue this time round was i am self-taught (no tutors or anything) and have no predicted grades to back me up. I got the offer at sheffield based on explaining how in 2 months of self-teaching new subjects and a new syllabus i got BBC in the 3 subjects im carrying forwards (Eng/history/econ) and will have several times the amount of time to prepare for the second half of exams (i sat the AS in October having made the decision to study under a british exam board in august)

The other 4 unis i applied to didn't seem as convinced

Respect to you for that!! I'm self teaching as well but managed to get offers from UCL, Warwick and Nottingham. If Sheffield is the only one that was convinced, all you can do for now is focus on hitting their conditions this summer - so keep at it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Respect to you for that!! I'm self teaching as well but managed to get offers from UCL, Warwick and Nottingham. If Sheffield is the only one that was convinced, all you can do for now is focus on hitting their conditions this summer - so keep at it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah problem was i rushed the first half, so the AS were less than impressive- i just asked they take it as a benchmark of how i could do given enough time.

Did u apply without predicted grades? some unis considered my application incomplete because of that

You dont have a great chance if you are mainly in it for the money and that you "might as well" go for FO seems like you dont have that much of an interest in IB, A lot of people from target universities like UCl and imperial etc etc who have a huge interest in the field and a passion for finance, have loads of experience in the industry with great ECs get rejected all the time. Hopefully that didn't come across as me being a dickhead but just letting ya know of the competition out there
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Daniel9998
You probably wont get it then if you are mainly in it for the money and that you "might as well" go for FO seems like you dont have that much of an interest in IB, A lot of people from target universities like UCl and imperial etc etc who have a huge interest in the field and a passion for finance, have loads of experience in the industry with great ECs get rejected all the time. Hopefully that didn't come across as me being a dickhead but just letting ya know of the competition out there

didnt seem like a dick at all, i agree with you. currently im more concerned with getting into the course than the job afterwards, ill make sure im privy to all the technicalities of IB once i get into a good uni. For now, no amount of knowledge of banking would be of any use to me. Though anyone who goes after IB is in it for the money (or you know, passionate about 80 hour work weeks and making money for large corps for a commission).

Im using IB here as more as an example; the best case scenario. If i aim for IB then worst comes to worst i should have no problem becoming say a broker

by might as well aim high i meant FO preferably- but will hardly be distraught if given the opportunity of the next best alternative

IE- if i know if someone studying Econ at Sheffield, with everything else in place like work exp., knowledge of the field and so on, can get into IB; then i know im on the right path taking up their offer
(edited 8 years ago)
yeah problem was i rushed the first half, so the AS were less than impressive- i just asked they take it as a benchmark of how i could do given enough time.

Did u apply without predicted grades? some unis considered my application incomplete because of that

I have tutors that I send my work in to mark (they don't teach me though) so I just used them as a reference + they put predicted grades based on a couple mocks I did.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending