The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Physician Associate University of Birmingham

Is anyone beginning the Physician Associate course in January 2015?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bratzemma
Is anyone beginning the Physician Associate course in January 2015?

Hey, just giving this a little bump in the hopes someone will see it and reply! :smile:

Have you found Connect yet? It's really useful for finding other people on your course/University! :smile: :smile:
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
I am. Just trying to work out where to live.
I am. Waiting for my DBS to be sorted though as the admissions office lost my evidence...
Reply 4
That's pretty devastating as they require originals of your drivers licence and passport?
No its not too bad, they lost the copies of them. Because I took them in personally... twice now! Think its been sorted now. Hows everyone else getting on?
Hello Bratzemma and Jontybizzle

I have got an interview scheduled for this Thursday at the University of Birmingham for the PA course. I was just wondering whether you could provide me with some tips and hints to prepare for the interview?.

your help and reply is much appreciated..
Hi Jamal_013

Firstly congratulations on getting an interview!! :smile:

My interview was quite relaxed in truth, I felt at ease with the interviewers as soon as I walked in. I was asked various questions covering the PA profession and its history, its upcoming role in the NHS, as well as any problems they may face (regulation/prescribing/junior docs) and its always useful to have a quick read of some recent medical topics in the press. Oh and read a bit about medical ethics and a medical professionals code of conduct.

Think that's it, but honestly don't panic they are lovely! I'm sure you'll be fine and it'll be over before you know it. Just be assured and know your stuff.

Finally..good luck!
Hi Jontybizzle,

Thank you very much for your quick reply. I am going to do some research on PA history and the other things you kindly mentioned. I hope everything goes well, and I shall be seeing you in January!!
Reply 9
Hi Jontybizzle, I am currently in process of my application for PA course, may I ask approximately how many words your personal statement was?
Reply 10
Hey. I have just been offered a place on this course starting May. How are people funding themselves? I found out on the interview that this course is not eligible for the masters loan :frown: I have heard rumors that some hospitals / health boards will fund in return for work contracts. Does anyone know if this is the case??
Reply 11
just been offered a place for the Birmingham May intake. Can i ask how people are funding themselves/ planned to before the surprise January funding by Health Education West Midlands
Reply 12
Original post by bebop2
just been offered a place for the Birmingham May intake. Can i ask how people are funding themselves/ planned to before the surprise January funding by Health Education West Midlands

Congratulation
Reply 13
Original post by Abrob
Congratulation

what was the interview like?
Reply 14
Thanks :smile: the style was very casual. It only took 20 minutes and was mostly about my understanding of what a P.A was and to make sure i had a realistic understanding of just how intense the course will be
Reply 15
Original post by bebop2
Thanks :smile: the style was very casual. It only took 20 minutes and was mostly about my understanding of what a P.A was and to make sure i had a realistic understanding of just how intense the course will be

Thanks
Reply 16
Hi All

Congratulations on getting interviews! Hope you all received offers. :smile:

I am hoping to apply for the PA programme at Birmingham for January 2017 Entry. For the personal statement what did you cover?

Thanks!
Original post by daksh
Hi All

Congratulations on getting interviews! Hope you all received offers. :smile:

I am hoping to apply for the PA programme at Birmingham for January 2017 Entry. For the personal statement what did you cover?

Thanks!

Hi Daksh!

I've applied for Birmigham last year and was accepted. For the personal statment, stick to the same structure you would for medicine (i.e. why you love medicine, what has inspired you to treat patients, what academic background you have and how will that help you succeed) HOWEVER, you need to talk specifically about the PA profession, not compare it to medicine. Tell them why you decided to become a PA, why do you think the profession has the potential to help our health service and how you would like to be part of this process.

I ended up coming to the course in Plymouth however. The NHS is sponsoring all students and we have a working contract (a job) guaranteed after graduation.
As much as I love the course in Birmingham, consider applying to other Unis that might pay for your tuition

Good luck :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by bebop2

I have received an offer from Birmingham university for the physician associte course via email this week for the May 2016 entry. The email stated that there will be some conditions to meet. Do you have any ideas what these may be? Thanks
Original post by Abrob
I have received an offer from Birmingham university for the physician associte course via email this week for the May 2016 entry. The email stated that there will be some conditions to meet. Do you have any ideas what these may be? Thanks

Hey Abrob, the conditions they mean are your health check and DBS.
You will have to submit a DBS (disclosing Barring Service) in order to prove you have no criminal background and they will also have to present all you vaccination history and submit blood checks for infectious diseases (such as HIV, Hep C and TB)
After all of that is clean, you are good to go to the course. My avice is, contact Occupational Health asap to do your health check. Some vaccines need to wait weeks between doses and you want to be up to speed when you start.
GOOD LUCK :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending