The Student Room Group

Why are there no notable anti-Islam feminist movements?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wdkmwd
Because modern day feminism is backed and supported by progressive leftists that completely have no problem offending the majority, with deluded false fake narratives like the wage-gap myth but will go silent when trying to offend minorities in real oppressive societies like in muslim majority countries where Women are really persecuted for just being women.

The wage gap is not a myth son. You can't refute it, you can only refute that it applies to everyone. Which no one suggests in the first place. Try refuting that it doesn't exit at all, and you'd struggle son.

To answer the OPs question, probably because most feminists are progressive, and so see the wrong in opposing an entire religion, and oppose more a specific sub-section within that religion.

To be anti-islam suggests ignorance and conceit, maybe that doesn't fit with most feminists.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Twinpeaks
The wage gap is not a myth son. You can't refute it, you can only refute that it applies to everyone. Which no one suggests in the first place. Try refuting that it doesn't exit at all, and you'd struggle son.

To answer the OPs question, probably because most feminists are progressive, and so see the wrong in opposing an entire religion, and oppose more a specific sub-section within that religion.

To be anti-islam suggests ignorance and conceit, maybe that doesn't fit with most feminists.

Most religions are the cancer of societies as are ideologies, they should not be encouraged.

The wage gap is not a myth but more of a useless statistic and not able to be applied without sexist and authoritarian policies
Original post by RobML
???

Well FEMEN did that topless parade on to the stage in the middle of an Islamic conference...
Reply 23

The wage gap is a myth, it suggests women are not being paid the same for the same work which is simply wrong, in fact when you graduate women get paid more until their late 30's when they tend to work less hours instead focusing on family (a personal choice).

Do you honestly believe that companies have all decided that they are going to break the law?
(edited 8 years ago)
Well feminist groups and movements in this day and age are often in the same political, academic, media etc spheres as various social justice warrior groups and movements. So it would be professional suicide for them to say anything against Islam. Take a student union for example. They'd be lynched.
This thread is a cornucopia of misinformed idiots. The OP strings two things together that don't need to be put together, like asking where the funny historians are.

As an attempt to answer, feminism is bringing equality between men and women, and women in Islamic societies tend to have less equality to men, which then leads to the feminism movement trying to support muslim women.
Reply 26

But...but...I try so hard :frown:
Reply 27
Original post by Craig1998
This thread is a cornucopia of misinformed idiots. The OP strings two things together that don't need to be put together, like asking where the funny historians are.

As an attempt to answer, feminism is bringing equality between men and women, and women in Islamic societies tend to have less equality to men, which then leads to the feminism movement trying to support muslim women.

You literally haven't a clue about feminism or what the third wave of it is trying to achieve. They are focusing very little on the rights of the oppressed women in religion, but are focusing on their own 'rights' and 'privlileges'.

You cannot say I put two and two together to make one. I could say that I am anti immigration, so is Nigel Farage, does that make me Nigel Farage?
Think before you speak!
Reply 28

Statistically, it does exist, but that simply does not take into account for the other factors. Through research it has been shown that women take longer holidays, are more likely to call in sick, are less likely to accept overtime, and in general would rather split time more equally between family and work.

Furthermore, in the US and UK, women are now paid more in the 21-35 age bracket than men are for the same work! We also have to remember that if the wage gap was true, then places of work would be full of women, this simply isn't the case.

The disparity which did exist before has closed, and in fact is now going in the opposite direction.

Do some research please
Original post by IAmNero
You literally haven't a clue about feminism or what the third wave of it is trying to achieve. They are focusing very little on the rights of the oppressed women in religion, but are focusing on their own 'rights' and 'privlileges'.

You're misinformed, clearly. Feminism is not about focusing on one groups own rights, it's about uniting men and women to be equal. There are certain groups of 'feminists' who stand for trying to improve womens lives vastly over mens, but nobody has time for them in this day and age.

If you really think that 'they are focusing very little on the rights of the oppressed women in religion', shouldn't the OP's question be 'Why are there no notable Islam feminist movements?'

Original post by IAmNero
You cannot say I put two and two together to make one. I could say that I am anti immigration, so is Nigel Farage, does that make me Nigel Farage?
Think before you speak!

I literally have no clue what you're trying to say after the first sentence, but I'll answer that. I'm not saying that you cant put two things together like feminism and Islam, but they just don't strictly go together and there is no reason for feminists to support or discourage Islam and say their views are feminist.
Reply 30
You're misinformed, clearly. Feminism is not about focusing on one groups own rights, it's about uniting men and women to be equal. There are certain groups of 'feminists' who stand for trying to improve womens lives vastly over mens, but nobody has time for them in this day and age.

If you really think that 'they are focusing very little on the rights of the oppressed women in religion', shouldn't the OP's question be 'Why are there no notable Islam feminist movements?'

I literally have no clue what you're trying to say after the first sentence, but I'll answer that. I'm not saying that you cant put two things together like feminism and Islam, but they just don't strictly go together and there is no reason for feminists to support or discourage Islam and say their views are feminist.

One feminist who I was debating with after they used the misogynist and victim blamer gave me something to read with this exact quote
"feminism is specifically about empowering women."
http://feministontinder.tumblr.com/post/118354587035/its-not-necessary-nor-is-it-accurate-to-say-that

That doesn't suggest to me that they want equality. When I pointed out this quote which is line 1.

They went on to say women having lower criminal sentences isn't a issue people who want equality should focus on as the court system is broken.

So who's opinion on feminism is right yours they don't focus on one group or this feminist who says they do?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by joecphillips
One feminist who I was debating with after they used the misogynist and victim blamer gave me something to read with this exact quote
"feminism is specifically about empowering women."
http://feministontinder.tumblr.com/post/118354587035/its-not-necessary-nor-is-it-accurate-to-say-that

That doesn't suggest to me that they want equality. When I pointed out this quote which is line 1.

They went on to say women having lower criminal sentences isn't a issue people who want equality should focus on as the court system is broken.

So who's opinion on feminism is right yours they don't focus on one group or this feminist who says they do?

I genuinely could not be arsed reading the entire post, the first few paragraphs were just expansions on the belief that feminism was empowering women OVER embracing both men and women equally. Most paragraphs seem to be commonly regurgitated examples that I see on tumblr far too often (women who have lots of sex are sluts compared to men being considered legends)

On this idea though, I disagree that feminism is about empowering men and women equally, if everybody gets empowered then men are still above in society. Feminism is about empowering women to the standard of men. The belief of feminists like myself is that all genders should be considered equal to eachother, and have equal societal opportunities. I couldn't find the criminal sentences (using ctrl+f) bit you were on about though (not saying you're lying, but I thought it might be interesting to read).

I'll happily say I'm a feminist and this blog's views on feminism are a little distorted (if you have a blog dedicated to feminism you're clearly going to go over the top), but the general idea of feminism IS to promote equality between all genders.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 32
I genuinely could not be arsed reading the entire post, the first few paragraphs were just expansions on the belief that feminism was empowering women OVER embracing both men and women equally. Most paragraphs seem to be commonly regurgitated examples that I see on tumblr far too often (women who have lots of sex are sluts compared to men being considered legends)

On this idea though, I disagree that feminism is about empowering men and women equally, if everybody gets empowered then men are still above in society. Feminism is about empowering women to the standard of men. The belief of feminists like myself is that all genders should be considered equal to eachother, and have equal societal opportunities. I couldn't find the criminal sentences (using ctrl+f) bit you were on about though (not saying you're lying, but I thought it might be interesting to read).

I'll happily say I'm a feminist and this blog's views on feminism are a little distorted (if you have a blog dedicated to feminism you're clearly going to go over the top), but the general idea of feminism IS to promote equality between all genders.

Sorry the criminal sentence bit I was on about was a tweet by the person who recommended I read that article.

I disagree with your if everyone gets empowered men are still ahead, there are problems that men have that gets ignored or gets you called misogynist for mentioning it and if you take away one groups issues but not the others then they aren't truly equal.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by joecphillips
I disagree with your if everyone gets empowered men are still ahead, there are problems that men have that gets ignored or gets you called misogynist for mentioning it and if you take away one groups issues but not the others then they aren't truly equal.

Like what?
Reply 34
Like what?

First one is criminal sentencing and then there is suicide rates there are more but those are off the top of my head.

When a mp proposed they talk about these issues on international men's day like they do with women's issues on international women's day a self described feminist laughed at the idea and then said she was a victim because of people's reactions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending