The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by whorace
Which song is your favourite? Umm... that one with err? Um. Life on Mars? You mean the only one people remember? Yeah that one

This is what I meant, but I didn't want to come across as pretentious

Original post by Damien96
I'm thinking he was being sarcastic? Surely?

Didn't seem sarcastic to me
Original post by whorace
Which song is your favourite? Umm... that one with err? Um. Life on Mars? You mean the only one people remember? Yeah that one

Oh shut up, obviously I'm not a fan since I didn't even know the dude was dead.
I just have respect for the situation.
Original post by mrsjenner
I missed it, don't pay attention to celebrities. Fight me.

ill 1 v 1 u on nuketown
Did I tell you shouldn't or couldn't?

Yes; the title of this thread is 'Celebrity deaths should not cause public mourning'.
Original post by Zargabaath

Didn't seem sarcastic to me

It wasn't. So?
Reply 25
Oh shut up, obviously I'm not a fan since I didn't even know the dude was dead.
I just have respect for the situation.

I just think it's annoying the amount of people who hijack his death to talk about how he inspired them when really most of them can't even name two of his songs.
Original post by Zargabaath
ill 1 v 1 u on nuketown

Don't meme me kid, this is serious sh*t, an old rich person is dead
Reply 27
I missed it, don't pay attention to celebrities. Fight me.

Er yes the title literally said that....

You do know people can read the title right? I know the word literally confuses some but I didn't even hint at "No one is allowed to listen to or watch Bowie".
Reply 28
Original post by whorace
I just think it's annoying the amount of people who hijack his death to talk about how he inspired them when really most of them can't even name two of his songs.

Yes, the Primark t-shirt music fans.

I suspect that most public grievers are these also. It's all about them.
Original post by whorace

That's good for you but I never stated that he inspired me lol.
Still doesn't give you or anyone a right to obnoxiously say insensitive sh*t when someone is dead.

As ****ed up as it is, most people wouldn't be thought of twice if even once if they got sick let alone died. So it's nice to respect someone in death, considering how deep people take it.
You do know people can read the title right? I know the word literally confuses some but I didn't even hint at "No one is allowed to listen to or watch Bowie".

No. You literally just said,

"shouldn't cause mourning."

Then you said, you never said people shouldn't mourn.

So I referred you to your very own title so you can stop defensively denying obviousness.
Yes, the Primark t-shirt music fans.

I suspect that most public grievers are these also. It's all about them.

:toofunny: The teens with the Joy Division shirts.

But anyway I disagree with you still but the fake fans is a thing. Still, respect people's death, simple. No one wants sh*t to be talked about them alive let alone dead.
Reply 32
Original post by similarBlank
Yes; the title of this thread is 'Celebrity deaths should not cause public mourning'.

Should in this case relates to what I consider morally right and dignified. It is not a street sign or a law. But if the pedants wish to take this personally then I will add "If you have any dignity or sense of perspective" to the start of it.
Reply 33
:toofunny: The teens with the Joy Division shirts.

But anyway I disagree with you still but the fake fans is a thing. Still, respect people's death, simple. No one wants sh*t to be talked about them alive let alone dead.

I never said a word about the dead, it is the living I am concerned with.
Reply 34
No. You literally just said,

"shouldn't cause mourning."

Then you said, you never said people shouldn't mourn.

So I referred you to your very own title so you can stop defensively denying obviousness.

The pedantic dissection of my title, despite the obvious spirit it was written in, along with the accusation I am disrespecting the dead, proves little more than your clearly vast experience at trolling people.
The pedantic dissection of my title, despite the obvious spirit it was written in, along with the accusation I am disrespecting the dead, proves little more than your clearly vast experience at trolling people.

ok idc
Should in this case relates to what I consider morally right and dignified. It is not a street sign or a law. But if the pedants wish to take this personally then I will add "If you have any dignity or sense of perspective" to the start of it.

Okay, so you don't like how people feel so you insult them for it.

You talk of these people not having perspective but I think it's you who is lacking in that. Just because someone might not mean much to you doesn't mean they do to someone else. I assume you've had a happy life with barely any major problems, otherwise you wouldn't have this point of view. Well, lucky you. Quite a number don't. What about people who don't have a mother, and a celebrity was kind of their version of a mother figure? You're telling them that they don't have any dignity because of that? Because they feel they like they lost their mum? Or someone who has a bad relationship with their father and hates him, and they say 'the loss of this celebrity is worse than losing my dad' and you're saying he lacks perspective because he feels a greater loss because someone he liked died than if someone he hated died?

Everyone's different, everyone has different perspective. That's how it is.
Reply 37
Original post by similarBlank
Okay, so you don't like how people feel so you insult them for it.

You talk of these people not having perspective but I think it's you who is lacking in that. Just because someone might not mean much to you doesn't mean they do to someone else. I assume you've had a happy life with barely any major problems, otherwise you wouldn't have this point of view. Well, lucky you. Quite a number don't. What about people who don't have a mother, and a celebrity was kind of their version of a mother figure? You're telling them that they don't have any dignity because of that? Because they feel they like they lost their mum? Or someone who has a bad relationship with their father and hates him, and they say 'the loss of this celebrity is worse than losing my dad' and you're saying he lacks perspective because he feels a greater loss because someone he liked died than if someone he hated died?

Everyone's different, everyone has different perspective. That's how it is.

Firstly I didn't insult anyone, I thought the post was perfectly respectful. I certainly wasn't personally insulting anyone. That some took it personally has a degree of overlap with my original point, it is all about them.

Saying it is I who lacks perspective is akin to "I know you are, but what am I?"

Bowie meant a lot to me, he's been in my life since I was 6. It is partly why I don't like the way people hijack grief for their own needs as I am in something of a position to judge it.

As for bringing up people abused by their parents, what point are you trying to make here? What is it you think I am trying to say? That abused kids are not allowed to think badly of their parents? It's a bizarre thing to bring up.

The point was simple enough. you may disagree, as I do with public communal grieving of those we have not met, but I have not told anyone what to feel, I have just expressed an opinion on the undignified nature of celebrity mourning.
Firstly I didn't insult anyone, I thought the post was perfectly respectful. I certainly wasn't personally insulting anyone. That some took it personally has a degree of overlap with my original point, it is all about them.

Saying it is I who lacks perspective is akin to "I know you are, but what am I?"

Bowie meant a lot to me, he's been in my life since I was 6. It is partly why I don't like the way people hijack grief for their own needs as I am in something of a position to judge it.

As for bringing up people abused by their parents, what point are you trying to make here? What is it you think I am trying to say? That abused kids are not allowed to think badly of their parents? It's a bizarre thing to bring up.

The point was simple enough. you may disagree, as I do with public communal grieving of those we have not met, but I have not told anyone what to feel, I have just expressed an opinion on the undignified nature of celebrity mourning.

Okay, soo, I read most of your posts, and I agree you weren't being aggressive. I do respect your opinion, but I have to disagree with it.

I personally feel like people have the right to mourn whomever they want, simply because I can't judge what role he/she has played in the mourners life.

That being said, what pisses me off is those millions of researchers, scientists, innovators, who spend their whole lives trying to find a cure for those everyday diseases we go through, try to discover what'll happen to us in a 100 years time......no one mourns them. No one calls them celebrities......

Yes, the entertainment industry does contribute to our social and emotional well-being and health, but what about that doctor that helped you brother overcome leukaemia? That scientist who is researching AIDS to save your boyfriend's life? Doesn't he deserve some mourning as well?

That's what pisses me off. Not that they're mourning, but that they're not mourning for a group of people who work behind the scenes.

All in all, I think your opinion wasn't rude, and, all you wanted was a bit of perspective. i open to debate, but, I would like to debate how grown ups do and none of this immature lark.

P.S: The second person was figurative. Not meant for you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by fandom-queen
Okay, soo, I read most of your posts, and I agree you weren't being aggressive. I do respect your opinion, but I have to disagree with it.

I personally feel like people have the right to mourn whomever they want, simply because I can't judge what role he/she has played in the mourners life.

That being said, what pisses me off is those millions of researchers, scientists, innovators, who spend their whole lives trying to find a cure for those everyday diseases we go through, try to discover what'll happen to us in a 100 years time......no one mourns them. No one calls them celebrities......

Yes, the entertainment industry does contribute to our social and emotional well-being and health, but what about that doctor that helped you brother overcome leukaemia? That scientist who is researching AIDS. Doesn't he deserve some mourning as well?

That's what pisses me off. Not that they're mourning, but that they're not mourning for a group of people who work behind the scenes.

All in all, I think your opinion wasn't rude, and, all you wanted was a bit of perspective. i open to debate, but, I would like to debate how grown ups do and none of this immature lark.

A few points here.

I didn't say no one had the right to "Mourn" of course it is a right, as you said, I wanted some perspective. I was invited to a pub to watch Lemmy's funeral. Surely that's a step, or many, too far?

Regarding the people we choose to idolise, (any idolisation is problematic) I completely agree. Art brings us much, including popular art, but you do wish the attention was spread across other fields.

The Internet is not best suited to grown up discourse. People read what they want in a quote or opinion and argue that. Nuance is lost and received wisdoms entrenched. Add to that an army of trolls and hateful keyboard warriors and it just becomes unpleasant and pointless. It is hugely refreshing to receive a message such as yours as a result. :smile:

Latest