The Student Room Group

good enough uni/course for investment banking? HELP please

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Economics-newb
didnt seem like a dick at all, i agree with you. currently im more concerned with getting into the course than the job afterwards, ill make sure im privy to all the technicalities of IB once i get into a good uni. For now, no amount of knowledge of banking would be of any use to me. Though anyone who goes after IB is in it for the money (or you know, passionate about 80 hour work weeks and making money for large corps for a commission).

Im using IB here as more as an example; the best case scenario. If i aim for IB then worst comes to worst i should have no problem becoming say a broker

by might as well aim high i meant FO preferably- but will hardly be distraught if given the opportunity of the next best alternative

IE- if i know if someone studying Econ at Sheffield, with everything else in place like work exp., knowledge of the field and so on, can get into IB; then i know im on the right path taking up their offer

It's really hard to become a (stock)broker as well, the demand for them is falling.
didnt seem like a dick at all, i agree with you. currently im more concerned with getting into the course than the job afterwards, ill make sure im privy to all the technicalities of IB once i get into a good uni. For now, no amount of knowledge of banking would be of any use to me. Though anyone who goes after IB is in it for the money (or you know, passionate about 80 hour work weeks and making money for large corps for a commission).

Im using IB here as more as an example; the best case scenario. If i aim for IB then worst comes to worst i should have no problem becoming say a broker

by might as well aim high i meant FO preferably- but will hardly be distraught if given the opportunity of the next best alternative

IE- if i know if someone studying Econ at Sheffield, with everything else in place like work exp., knowledge of the field and so on, can get into IB; then i know im on the right path taking up their offer

yeh thats fair enough, obviously there have been people from many universities worse than Sheffield in terms of IB that have managed to secure FO positions so its obviously doable. Good luck!
Original post by Princepieman
I have tutors that I send my work in to mark (they don't teach me though) so I just used them as a reference + they put predicted grades based on a couple mocks I did.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i want to punch myself in the face- had no idea predicted grades were so important. Thought if they looked at my AS and took the timeframe into account it would be just the same....

honestly i shoulda done the same, wouldve had way better results
Original post by Trapz99
It's really hard to become a (stock)broker as well, the demand for them is falling.

definitely, but i imagine its that much easier than IB
definitely, but i imagine its that much easier than IB

No it's not much easier than IB unless you want to go for the really small firms which won't pay you as much and mainly hire people they know. Besides, stockbroking is dying out really fast and there will only be a few stockbrokers in the future while the demand for investment bankers will stay for a bit longer. I think the best alternative to investment banking is big4 corporate finance or audit as these schemes can later allow you to transfer to actual investment banking as an experienced hire. It's also a lot easier to get into than stockbroking and is paid really well imo
Aight guys, i know the chances of getting into either IB or stockbroking are glaringly slim (no need to remind me, im not delusional haha). Im talking hypothetical scenarios here, just wanna know if the uni would be high ranking enough or if you really do have to have gone to somewhere like LSE or UCL if you want a real shot
Aight guys, i know the chances of getting into either IB or stockbroking are glaringly slim (no need to remind me, im not delusional haha). Im talking hypothetical scenarios here, just wanna know if the uni would be high ranking enough or if you really do have to have gone to somewhere like LSE or UCL if you want a real shot

Its obviously possible to get in, it would just make life much easier at a target like LSE or UCL

Issue with aiming high is you could apply to the spring/summer internships but get nothing, making it harder to go for something less competitive once you graduate (because by then you've missed your chance to do internships for something else).
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Issue with aiming high is you could apply to the spring/summer internships but get nothing, making it harder to go for something less competitive once you graduate (because by then you've missed your chance to do internships for something else).

Not really. You could apply to the summer internships at the IB's, but also apply for roles with Big4/Grant Thornton/BDO/RSM, strategy consulting firms (although theres even less chance of getting one of these than Investment Banking) finance internships at blue-chip companies etc. Big 4 recruitment is on the rise currently, and if you're good you'll almost certainly be able to land an internship there.
Original post by Fas
Not really. You could apply to the summer internships at the IB's, but also apply for roles with Big4/Grant Thornton/BDO/RSM, strategy consulting firms (although theres even less chance of getting one of these than Investment Banking) finance internships at blue-chip companies etc. Big 4 recruitment is on the rise currently, and if you're good you'll almost certainly be able to land an internship there.

Yeah of course you could but you could have also applied for the internships for those as apposed to IBs to improve your chances even further for them, they're no doubt easier to get into but that is only relative, they're still competitive jobs themselves.
Original post by Trapz99
No it's not much easier than IB unless you want to go for the really small firms which won't pay you as much and mainly hire people they know. Besides, stockbroking is dying out really fast and there will only be a few stockbrokers in the future while the demand for investment bankers will stay for a bit longer. I think the best alternative to investment banking is big4 corporate finance or audit as these schemes can later allow you to transfer to actual investment banking as an experienced hire. It's also a lot easier to get into than stockbroking and is paid really well imo

Wrong. What IBs do is very simple, nothing that can't be coded into a program.

Technology is advancing, so don't expect the openings that exist now to exist in 3 years.

IB is a relatively unskilled job, since no particular qualification is really required, when you think about it. No reason why most of them can't be replaced by monitored algs.
Im assuming i should only start thinking about internships once i've gotten into uni.. Also does the uni you go to hold as much weight with landing an internship?
Im assuming i should only start thinking about internships once i've gotten into uni.. Also does the uni you go to hold as much weight with landing an internship?

Obviously. It has weight on applying to any sort of formal programme. Internships are the main gateway to a full time offer, most banks fill their analyst class with former interns (either from the same bank or a different one). It matters even more for strategy consulting, but it doesn't really factor in for anything else.

No, get your spring week applications (CV and cover letters for each bank) done this summer. You won't have as much time to mull through it once uni starts, applications open up around September to October time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Obviously. It has weight on applying to any sort of formal programme. Internships are the main gateway to a full time offer, most banks fill their analyst class with former interns (either from the same bank or a different one). It matters even more for strategy consulting, but it doesn't really factor in for anything else.

No, get your spring week applications (CV and cover letters for each bank) done this summer. You won't have as much time to mull through it once uni starts, applications open up around September to October time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for all the advice; i think ill go with the offer and put some serious focus into internships from the second im in uni
Thanks for all the advice; i think ill go with the offer and put some serious focus into internships from the second im in uni

Do you love IB or just want money?
Reply 35

It does from my experience around 60-70% of interns at IBs in London come from 6 target unis (LSE/Oxbridge/Warwick/Imperial/UCL)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending