The Student Room Group

Getting to Cambridge: STEP by STEP!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken

Kind of, I guess? Nothing substantial yet. Looks like A2 is going to require far more work than AS and I can't find any resources to learn it either, so definitely need to look harder.

If you can't afford a textbook, I have a giftcard I haven't used on amazon.
Reply 1301
Original post by Kvothe the arcane

I, uh, obtained the textbooks but they're utter shite for Physics, you'd probably do better on the exam having not read them. Thanks for offering, but I'd never be able to accept that. :h:
Reply 1302
Original post by Student403

Tbh U5 is a lot of fun. Discussions about nukes and North Korea in terms of fundamental particles... Space travel and time warping.. THAT'S what I call physics :yep:

I guess it's kind of fun if you can do it in a classroom environment, oh well. :yep:

Gotta dash, kids are here!
Original post by Zacken
I, uh, obtained the textbooks but they're utter shite for Physics, you'd probably do better on the exam having not read them. Thanks for offering, but I'd never be able to accept that.

Fair enough.

I'm not a big fan of my A level biology textbook. But it'll have to do. I'll just practice away at some point.
How did you manage on Physics 1,2. Presumably same supplier?
:teehee: who might that be? :rolleyes:

His girlfriend :colondollar:.

That's super generous of you.. Massive respect!

His girlfriend :colondollar:.

Aw

I apologise, Zain's left hand. :sad:
Original post by Zacken
I guess it's kind of fun if you can do it in a classroom environment, oh well. :yep:

Gotta dash, kids are here!

Take care :smile:
Reply 1307
III, 2005:

Total time: 3 hours
Total mark: 98/120

Overall thoughts: This was the crappiest paper I've done so far. Was only able to get six (and 5 of them not even fully correct) solutions which is very distressing. I'm getting dull. Time was not spent wisely at all; nor was question choice very good. I can usually spam four questions in the first hour but this time I was barely finishing my second question after the first hour mark; after some settling in things picked up, there was a nice gem of a question that I loved. So silver lining.

Q1: Started with this. First few parts were easy, sketches took ages. I reckon my justification was crap and the last sketch was just plain wrong, so 14/20 and 28 minutes. Horrid.

Q2: Easy question, didn't fully justify minima/maxima so cutting three marks here, 17/20 and 21 minutes.

Q7: I was getting scared because time was moving fast, so jumped ahead to Q7 here and spammed it out quickly; 16 minutes and 20/20 - I could see exactly what to do at each stage and it was an interesting concept as well.

Q5: Started this, the first few bits were standard enough - I spent twenty minutes and gathered about 10 marks, I reckon; but then gave up because the algebra got horrid and finished the rest off in the last 10 minutes of the mock, netting me about 17 marks in total.

Q4: This was a toughie, spent a good 35 minutes (started 10 minutes then gave up and came back and spent another 20 minutes at the end) on this one before cracking it open and realising I had to do a simultaneous induction; forgot a few conditions, left my answer in terms of cc and all in all scraped 13/20 here.

Q3: Bit of a standard concept; I was used to it, the conditions didn't take much work. Quadratic was easy to solve; a stupid slip up meant 17/20 in 20 minutes.

What's up next: Will need to try Q6 on this paper, it looks fairly nice, I might give Q8 a go as well, but I doubt I'll be able to get anywhere with it; I need to work on my horrendous pure skills given that I can't attempt anything in the applied sections in III - I don't know if I can scrape a 1 in this paper. On the bright side, a few others found this paper hard too (although they ended up scoring higher than I!) and the grade boundaries reflected this with an S being 80/120.
Zain you're gonna turn in to a Creeper with all the SSsssssSSSsss you're getting
:console:
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm scared of all these marks you're going to get for the real things, lol help me.
Original post by Zacken
III, 2005:

Overall thoughts: This was the crappiest paper I've done so far. Was only able to get six (and 5 of them not even fully correct) solutions which is very distressing. I'm getting dull. Time was not spent wisely at all; nor was question choice very good. I can usually spam four questions in the first hour but this time I was barely finishing my second question after the first hour mark; after some settling in things picked up, there was a nice gem of a question that I loved. So silver lining.

Q1: Started with this. First few parts were easy, sketches took ages. I reckon my justification was crap and the last sketch was just plain wrong, so 14/20 and 28 minutes. Horrid.

Q2: Easy question, didn't fully justify minima/maxima so cutting three marks here, 17/20 and 21 minutes.

Q7: I was getting scared because time was moving fast, so jumped ahead to Q7 here and spammed it out quickly; 16 minutes and 20/20 - I could see exactly what to do at each stage and it was an interesting concept as well.

Q5: Started this, the first few bits were standard enough - I spent twenty minutes and gathered about 10 marks, I reckon; but then gave up because the algebra got horrid and finished the rest off in the last 10 minutes of the mock, netting me about 17 marks in total.

Q4: This was a toughie, spent a good 35 minutes (started 10 minutes then gave up and came back and spent another 20 minutes at the end) on this one before cracking it open and realising I had to do a simultaneous induction; forgot a few conditions, left my answer in terms of cc and all in all scraped 13/20 here.

Q3: Bit of a standard concept; I was used to it, the conditions didn't take much work. Quadratic was easy to solve; a stupid slip up meant 17/20 in 20 minutes.

What's up next: Will need to try Q6 on this paper, it looks fairly nice, I might give Q8 a go as well, but I doubt I'll be able to get anywhere with it; I need to work on my horrendous pure skills given that I can't attempt anything in the applied sections in III - I don't know if I can scrape a 1 in this paper. On the bright side, a few others found this paper hard too (although they ended up scoring higher than I!) and the grade boundaries reflected this with an S being 80/120.

arent u are advised to do so.:s-smilie:

Grats Strongest brethren
Original post by Zacken
III, 2005:

I recently did Q11 on this paper, really cool question and concept
Q8 looks nice but also treacherous too, may have a crack at it when I get some time :redface:
Reply 1313
Zain you're gonna turn in to a Creeper with all the SSsssssSSSsss you're getting

:rofl: :rofl: The S's are going to turn to 1's and 2's as soon as I get to more and more recent papers. :tongue:

Original post by Euclidean
Q8 looks nice but also treacherous too, may have a crack at it when I get some time :redface:

Damn, i wouldn't think of attempting any applied on III - that said, Q14 looks very do-able. I'll need to give that a go.

:console:

:smile:

Original post by tinkerbella~
I'm scared of all these marks you're going to get for the real things, lol help me.

I'll be down to the 60's by 2016, don't worry. :tongue:

Original post by Duke Glacia
arent u are advised to do so.:s-smilie:

Grats Strongest brethren

Advised to do what?

Thanks, but meh - should have done better at this stage.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zacken

Advised to do what?

6 solutions is normal
Reply 1315
6 solutions is normal

I don't very much like that - if one of my solutions is dangerously wrong in its infancy, that's a lot of marks lost; best to do 7/8 and have 1/2 of them be backups. Kind of like "12 modules is normal" but do 13 to be safe.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Euclidean

I really liked the applied on this paper (despite the fact that I messed up q9 during the mock, which should have been a banker). People will hate me for this but I honestly think the three stats were the easiest three questions on this paper if you knew the content...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
I don't very much like that - if one of my solutions is dangerously wrong in its infancy, that's a lot of marks lost; best to do 7/8 and have 1/2 of them be backups. Kind of like "12 modules is normal" but do 13 to be safe.

I suppose there's a balance to be struck between time per question and backups. You don't want to do too many.
Original post by Zacken
III, 2005:

Nicely done for what seems like a toughie, but I can understand why you're not completely happy with it as anything could go horribly wrong in the real exam. You should work through the other pure questions and note down exactly where you lost marks.

The good news is - another S!!!:woo::w00t:
Reply 1319
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Nicely done for what seems like a toughie, but I can understand why you're not completely happy with it as anything could go horribly wrong in the real exam. You should work through the other pure questions and note down exactly where you lost marks.

The good news is - another S!!!:woo::w00t:

Thanks for that! I will be working through the rest of the pure and might even try a stats question out, it looked like S2 integration; if you want to give it a try? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending